5.0 out of 5 stars A great DEVICE
Published on 27 Jan. 2013 by Int345

2.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic gadget! But rubbish after sales service!
Not a lot i can add that hasn't been said already....but it is NOT a phone,it can send and receive texts,but can't make calls.
overall,i am impressed,yes the battery life is probably crap,but as it takes samsung galaxy s3 batteries...just buy a couple,they are dirt cheap! I haven't taken a lot of pictures yet as it's been chucking down with rain every day,but...
Published on 22 Nov. 2012 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars A great DEVICE, 27 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy Camera - White (16MP, 21x Optical Zoom, Android 4.1 Jelly Bean OS) 4.8 inch HD Touch LCD (Electronics)
Before buying I read all the reviews online for this camera was a little put of by comments about poor image quality once printed/ viewed on big screen but BEWARE the cameras they use as comparisons are all £300/£400 DSLR , that is not what you are paying for here....what you actually get is image quality both Video and stills on a par with samsungs wb150f/wb850f (specs etc almost identical to wb850f) with a few extra effects etc.BUT on top of this you get an android device with the same specs as Samsung note11/s3 ( but without the phone bit!) device capable of taking good to very good point and shoot video and stills but also easily copes with 3d /complex games,email,browsing,kindle ap,social media/ sharing and watching HD quality movies downloaded to watch offline from google play..an idea device if travelling ! You also get 2years 50gb Dropbox,a way of storing and sharing photo/video across all devices..really great service,lots of preloaded photo editing/effect apps and access to more via play store,great wifi (picked up public access spots even iPod had problems with) and the ability to add 3G sim...comes with 1gb months p&g sim from 3 but should be able to use micro sim from any provider (home or abroad) just like a phone.

The free battery charger being offered by most sellers at moment is TINY and comes with spare battery (or it did when I purchased it) very light and uses same power cable as camera,charges with a couple of hours, would be an idea to purchase several spare batteries (they are cheap!) as battery life is only down side of this device...with wifi on and heavy app usage would last three/four hours of continuous use (Internet,games etc) without wife expect double that and just used as camera with wifi on some of time would last day or two

Other reviews mention lack of case , it is an odd shape being thinner than samsungs wb150 but about 1 1/2 times the length due to large screen with thicker hand hold at one side and obviously the 21 times zoom adding thickness....I found that soft cases/travel cases meant for Nintendo ds/3ds (not the Xl version) fitted really well , are cheap and normally have space for spare micro sd cards

You will need to purchase large capacity (32/64 gb) micro sd card class 10 or above..this will cost an extra £25 plus even from a amazon!

In conclusion a great device if you want an all in one device to travel with and accept its limitations.....
Screen great quality/ responsive but only a little larger than an iPod
Camera / Video quality good but not as good as a DSLR for same price
Same range of usable apps/ movies as on android tablet (and full play store / amazon app store access) but MUCH smaller screen
Battery life about half you would expect from smart phone or tablet
Same text/3G access as phone but no voice calls
Much heavier than normal point and shoot camera or smart phone , but lighter than both together

BUT IT CAN DO IT ALL !

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 25 Jan. 2013
T. Slater - See all my reviews
It's fair to say that if you take the trouble to trawl the internet for reviews on this camera, you'll find a pretty mixed bag of opinions. Most of the negative ones seem to dwell on image quality compared to some of the competition. I think that this is purely down to the fact that this an expensive piece of kit, and you possibly could pick up a 'normal' compact/mirrorless for a bit less with better image quality. But have no fears - the photo's that this baby takes are clear, vibrant and pop out at you, even on a full size computer screen. If you're used to having a mid/high range compact camera you will be more than happy with the results. My personal opinion is that there's a lot of nit picking going on from dedicated photography sites that dont neccesarily approve of the Samsung's jack of all trades approach.
All you need to know is that it takes fabulous pictures which can be edited on the fly with loads of fun editing apps from Google Play, shared immediately and the zoom is amazing. And you can play Angry Birds - nuff said.

UPDATE : Just to press the point home, a friend of mine bought a Panasonic GH3 mirrorless compact over the weekend. That camera is generally recognised to have very DSLR qualities and is a fine piece of kit in its own right. So, we took some comparison shots while out sledging with the kids in the snow and you really would be hard pressed to tell the difference (to the naked eye). If anything, the colours with the Samsung are more more vibrant in my eyes, and the detail is just as good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Never have I been as pleased with a digital camera as with this fascinating Samsung ..., 24 July 2014
Tim Costello (Dublin, Ireland.) - See all my reviews
Never have I been as pleased with a digital camera as with this fascinating Samsung Galaxy Camera. Top of my list is the big screen which is so wonderfully wide it occupies the entire back of the camera. Its size has even pushed any physical buttons and knobs off into the software and therefore onto the screen itself! And what a screen it is. I will just pick out one terrific feature from it, the tricky sounding 'Smart Pro Mode'. Whoever invented this is a genius. It nearly presses the button for you and yes, 'we really do the rest' as Mr. Kodak once said.

You will have complete strangers looking over your shoulder, in no time, at that big screen, to see the photos you have just taken. As an aside, the screen ensures anybody using the camera will not be inclined to cut people off at the knees by having too much sky in the photo, the 'too much headroom' syndrome. Your compositions will be Rembrandt like.

As to picture quality, Everything so far has been razor sharp from postcard size to A4 enlangements. This is despite pixel-counting reviewers who also must pick nits. Intriguingly there may be a reason for this. I decided to install a battery and micro SD memory card only, for the moment. No SIM card because I don't yet need to avail of all the apps and sharing love-in hippy stuff that goes with that. I mean to say, it is a camera is it not? I have been told that since there is less demand from the Android, not to mention the Jellybean (what is this? Snoopy meets Dr. Seuss via ET?) that all the power goes to the picture making elements and even the anti-vibration device. It makes sense.

Buy one soon, if you can, at Amazon's great price, before Samsung either delete or improve it!

Tim, Dublin.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic Device Apart From..., 22 Nov. 2012
First impression is a quite fantastic device having 3G, WiFi and GPS. I go to loads of gigs and have 3 million hits on YouTube so there is much potential here, particularly with the 21x optical zoom lens. Live tweeting close up quality photos is very satisfying for both me and my followers. If ever EE have the decency to deliver my 4G mobile wifi unit ordered 22 days ago then I may even upload videos immediately after recording.

The still picture quality is exceptional in broad daylight, in darkened environments where a flash is not appropriate no better than my Canon G12. The video quality so far has been promising. It's a little soft for a 1080p device but the two gigs I have made videos at were in a dark church in Hackney. Somewhere with a full-on lightshow may prove sharper. Like every other camera I have had it runs into problems standing down the front right by the speakers, things get a bit muffled and distorted. The auto-focus is rather slow to respond when zooming in and out leaving 3-4 seconds out of focus at times, again this should improve outdoors in daylight.

The Android functionality is only hampered by the Samsung customisation. I expect it for the camera hardware and the menus are very easy to use other than an apparent lack of recording volume options leading to sound distortion as above. It's just a shame they can't leave well alone in other areas.

Anything I can do on my other devices I can do on this. I ignore DropBox and use Google+ Instant Upload instead. It's just a shame I can't remove DropBox completely. Facebook still bombs out when trying to share directly from the gallery as it does on my Nexus 4.1 phone.

However...

Battery life is very short. 3 hours at a gig taking 2-3 videos and 20-30 photos sees the battery down by 50% despite being on power saving. This may be down to Instant Upload struggling to get a 3G signal but I shouldn't have to switch off that functionality to see if there's a difference. 5 days at Glastonbury next year might require 5 batteries unless I switch off 3G completely.

The fatal flaw leading to this particular item's return and replacement with another is the video zoom. When initially zooming forward there is no problem. But zooming backwards and subsequent zooming in either direction leads to an extremely loud crackle in the video recording. Hopefully this is just a one off with my unit and wouldn't stop me from recommending it.

##UPDATE##

Having had the replacement which came in blue rather than the advertised black a couple of points.

Our office Christmas Party was in a very dark night club in London. In these settings taking shots with the flash is pretty random as you don't get the green squares around faces very often leading to lack of focus and red-eye reduction simply doesn't work.

I went to the XFM Winter Wonderland and had my first occasion to test out the video on the new one with high volumes blasting out of the speakers. Unfortunately the previous issue with crackling/distortion when using zoom is still very much present. It also takes quite a while to regain the auto-focus when zooming quickly. I may just have to live with the crackling or simply use the zoom a lot less. In so many other ways it is a brilliant camera with no apparent rival on the market, very reluctant to return again.

##UPDATE##

Very impressed with Samsung via their Contact CEO facility. I had a very helpful reply from their head of customer services when I said it seemed a bit pointless to return the camera a second time only to discover the very same issue a 3rd time. He contacted their technical guys and came back with a request to try the latest software update, Android 4.1.2. I had already applied this but hadn't had a chance to test it out. I did note, however, this also contained a firmware update. Not having any gigs for a few weeks I put my Led Zeppelin DVD on and progressively turned up the volume to the point my receiver safety cut-out kicked in, zooming in and out all the while. Result, zero crackle. A minor amount of motor noise when no volume but this will not affect me. There wasn't even any high volume distortion and the levels were similar to front row Brixton Academy. Hoping this holds true at a real gig but looking great so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best camera out there!, 5 Jan. 2014
*****Updated review: February 2015*****

After sending the original camera and all accessories back, I repurchased this camera in April 2014. I am most definitely impressed by the quality of pictures and its fantastic battery life! The first one I purchased must have been faulty as I've had no problems with the one I currently own. I can leave it for a while without using and the batteries stay charged. They are quick to charge and last for ages, which I found out when I went to NYC in October 2014, 1 battery lasted me 2 and a half days with continuous use without having to be charged!! Amazing!!! I have some fantastic pictures that look professional!! My advice is go buy this camera, you won't regret it!!!

*****Original review: January 2014*****

I got this camera as a present for Christmas after mithering for it since it's release in 2012.

Although it is a fantastic camera and I'm quite impressed with its features, I am extremely disappointed with the poor battery life.

The package I got came with the battery charger and extra battery, needless to say after both batteries being fully charged, one being placed back in the camera, other not, after turning camera on once and taking a COUPLE of pictures the battery went flat. Recharged, left camera for a few days without use and fully turned off, not on standby mode, and now both batteries need recharging, one hasn't even been used!!

Not sure if anyone else is having a problem with battery life to this extent, but considering sending the camera back and getting a refund, then re-purchasing at a local store, at least I would get warranty if something where to go wrong!

5.0 out of 5 stars More than happy, 29 Dec. 2013
I bought this to replace my super zoom Lumix and I am not disappointed.

Many reviews on the internet seem biased and very negative. Complaining about simple things like the flash does not automatically pop up. I find the manual pop up flash to be great. No more taking photos when the flash goes off when I did not want. I know when and when not to use flash and now do not have to worry about looking a dick with my flash going off when photographing something 50 yards away.

I have owned this for a week now and have taken many photos with it and I am completely happy with the results.

It's not a DSLR and should not be compared to one. I have one of those too for when the need arises.

The Galaxy GC-100 is a wonderful camera with all the options I expect.

In ideal conditions the photos are nothing less than fantastic, in less than ideal conditions they are not as fantastic but no worse than any other point and shoot camera.

The dropbox facility is just perfect. No more connecting the camera to my Mac or having to take out the card. I switch my computer on and the photos are already there.

I love the fact it uses Android for it's OS. It just makes the camera so much more useful especially as it has Wi-Fi and 3G connectivity.

My only slight niggle with it is, when turning from landscape to portrait it's so easy to touch the screen with your hand and send it off into some other mode then you have to tap several times to get back and you may have missed the shot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Al's Comments, 21 Jan. 2013
I have just bought this camera so that I could send photos directly to friends from the camera's internet facilty and it hasn't disappointed me in that. It comes with an micro broadband sim from three.co.uk but comes with a pay as you go tariff of £2.99 per day or £10 per month for 1 GByte of data. The phone and broadband was easy to set up and the HD screen is just brilliant. I have taken some great still photos and impressive videos so far as I've tought myself to use it. Everything seems intuitive and using the broadband app (internet) connection I was able to watch YouTube clips, play with google maps and try out the Satnav' so very pleased with my purchase. One thing I did find confusing was the Messaging Application. The Messaging only works to mobile phones and if you attach a photo to the message text it takes forever to send. Far better to attach photos to an email and send using your the broadband application on the camera. Three.co.uk offered me a £12 pm contract for 200 texts and unlimited broadband but will stick with the pay as you go until I get used to the camera. All in all a great bit of kit and am sure I'll get lots of pleasure out of using it. Finally the accessories like a spare battery + battery charger, camera case, HDMI adapter for TV, 32GB microSD card and Screen Protector Films are all inexpensive but adds another £65 or so to your purchase

5.0 out of 5 stars Great camera with great functionality, 24 Jun. 2013
I have spent only 4 days of intense shooting with the camera but i can tell that i am delighted with the camera. It has a great functionality as camera and as a smart device ( full functioning smart phone w/o the phone part ). Camera focus is relatively fast for the class of the camera, "smart" presets are really nice ( HDR function on such a small camera is a killer ), video shooting is great. I can keep the list of nice features going but no need.
On the down side - battery is getting drained faster than i would like ( there are charging kits - charger + battery sold in Amazon for a good price of about 25-30 pounds thought... so if you plan a full day walk w/o power plug, buy one ). The other thing that bugged me is that from stand by mode it takes a long press of the power button to wake it up ( about 2secs ) instead of shutter press...And a warning - if you have Galaxy Nexus phone - Wifi Direct connection wont work ( from what i got searching the net its about the different type of NFS that GN is using compared to Samsung S3/4 phones )

In general - if you are "casual" photographer/traveler and you are not crazy all about the "professional quality" and you are tired of carrying heavy bags with big cameras and lenses, or you are crazy about sharing pics "on the moment" - this is a good choice of a camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars Android in a camera. This just makes sense, 15 Oct. 2013
I love this camera. It just makes sense. Once you have the ability to share photos directly through the Android OS to any apps - it just starts to make photography fun, interesting and useful. For example, take an picture then pass it over to an editing apps to do touch ups. It just makes sense.

There are moments when there is too much going on and sometimes the software gets a bit sluggish. This rarely happens in "camera mode" and more often happens when sorting and managing images. It's surprising with the level of RAM. But it's hardly that bad.

This camera can be really useful when coupled with apps:
- Camscanner - amazing document scanning
- Vignette - which allows use of the Zoom toggles, really helpful for artsy photos and filters
- Aviary for touching up photos, adding filters or other edits
- Touchnote - convert a photo into a postcard or greeting card
- Evernote/Skitch - record the images or audio into a note, or make annotations before saving.
- Angry Birds - because that messes with people's heads.

5.0 out of 5 stars Galaxy Camera, 26 April 2013
I am no expert on using gadgets but this camera os absolutely fantstic. It is easy to use and produces fantasic photos. I am still learning all the features and getting better at using it.