5.0 out of 5 stars A great DEVICE
Published 23 months ago by Int345

2.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic gadget! But rubbish after sales service!
Not a lot i can add that hasn't been said already....but it is NOT a phone,it can send and receive texts,but can't make calls.
Published on 22 Nov 2012 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars A great DEVICE, 27 Jan 2013
This review is from: Samsung GC100 Galaxy Camera - White (16MP, 21x Optical Zoom) 4.8 inch LCD (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
Before buying I read all the reviews online for this camera was a little put of by comments about poor image quality once printed/ viewed on big screen but BEWARE the cameras they use as comparisons are all £300/£400 DSLR , that is not what you are paying for here....what you actually get is image quality both Video and stills on a par with samsungs wb150f/wb850f (specs etc almost identical to wb850f) with a few extra effects etc.BUT on top of this you get an android device with the same specs as Samsung note11/s3 ( but without the phone bit!) device capable of taking good to very good point and shoot video and stills but also easily copes with 3d /complex games,email,browsing,kindle ap,social media/ sharing and watching HD quality movies downloaded to watch offline from google play..an idea device if travelling ! You also get 2years 50gb Dropbox,a way of storing and sharing photo/video across all devices..really great service,lots of preloaded photo editing/effect apps and access to more via play store,great wifi (picked up public access spots even iPod had problems with) and the ability to add 3G sim...comes with 1gb months p&g sim from 3 but should be able to use micro sim from any provider (home or abroad) just like a phone.

The free battery charger being offered by most sellers at moment is TINY and comes with spare battery (or it did when I purchased it) very light and uses same power cable as camera,charges with a couple of hours, would be an idea to purchase several spare batteries (they are cheap!) as battery life is only down side of this device...with wifi on and heavy app usage would last three/four hours of continuous use (Internet,games etc) without wife expect double that and just used as camera with wifi on some of time would last day or two

Other reviews mention lack of case , it is an odd shape being thinner than samsungs wb150 but about 1 1/2 times the length due to large screen with thicker hand hold at one side and obviously the 21 times zoom adding thickness....I found that soft cases/travel cases meant for Nintendo ds/3ds (not the Xl version) fitted really well , are cheap and normally have space for spare micro sd cards

You will need to purchase large capacity (32/64 gb) micro sd card class 10 or above..this will cost an extra £25 plus even from a amazon!

In conclusion a great device if you want an all in one device to travel with and accept its limitations.....
Screen great quality/ responsive but only a little larger than an iPod
Camera / Video quality good but not as good as a DSLR for same price
Same range of usable apps/ movies as on android tablet (and full play store / amazon app store access) but MUCH smaller screen
Battery life about half you would expect from smart phone or tablet
Same text/3G access as phone but no voice calls
Much heavier than normal point and shoot camera or smart phone , but lighter than both together

BUT IT CAN DO IT ALL !

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 25 Jan 2013
T. Slater - See all my reviews
It's fair to say that if you take the trouble to trawl the internet for reviews on this camera, you'll find a pretty mixed bag of opinions. Most of the negative ones seem to dwell on image quality compared to some of the competition. I think that this is purely down to the fact that this an expensive piece of kit, and you possibly could pick up a 'normal' compact/mirrorless for a bit less with better image quality. But have no fears - the photo's that this baby takes are clear, vibrant and pop out at you, even on a full size computer screen. If you're used to having a mid/high range compact camera you will be more than happy with the results. My personal opinion is that there's a lot of nit picking going on from dedicated photography sites that dont neccesarily approve of the Samsung's jack of all trades approach.
All you need to know is that it takes fabulous pictures which can be edited on the fly with loads of fun editing apps from Google Play, shared immediately and the zoom is amazing. And you can play Angry Birds - nuff said.

UPDATE : Just to press the point home, a friend of mine bought a Panasonic GH3 mirrorless compact over the weekend. That camera is generally recognised to have very DSLR qualities and is a fine piece of kit in its own right. So, we took some comparison shots while out sledging with the kids in the snow and you really would be hard pressed to tell the difference (to the naked eye). If anything, the colours with the Samsung are more more vibrant in my eyes, and the detail is just as good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Never have I been as pleased with a digital camera as with this fascinating Samsung ..., 24 July 2014
Tim Costello (Dublin, Ireland.) - See all my reviews
Never have I been as pleased with a digital camera as with this fascinating Samsung Galaxy Camera. Top of my list is the big screen which is so wonderfully wide it occupies the entire back of the camera. Its size has even pushed any physical buttons and knobs off into the software and therefore onto the screen itself! And what a screen it is. I will just pick out one terrific feature from it, the tricky sounding 'Smart Pro Mode'. Whoever invented this is a genius. It nearly presses the button for you and yes, 'we really do the rest' as Mr. Kodak once said.

You will have complete strangers looking over your shoulder, in no time, at that big screen, to see the photos you have just taken. As an aside, the screen ensures anybody using the camera will not be inclined to cut people off at the knees by having too much sky in the photo, the 'too much headroom' syndrome. Your compositions will be Rembrandt like.

As to picture quality, Everything so far has been razor sharp from postcard size to A4 enlangements. This is despite pixel-counting reviewers who also must pick nits. Intriguingly there may be a reason for this. I decided to install a battery and micro SD memory card only, for the moment. No SIM card because I don't yet need to avail of all the apps and sharing love-in hippy stuff that goes with that. I mean to say, it is a camera is it not? I have been told that since there is less demand from the Android, not to mention the Jellybean (what is this? Snoopy meets Dr. Seuss via ET?) that all the power goes to the picture making elements and even the anti-vibration device. It makes sense.

Buy one soon, if you can, at Amazon's great price, before Samsung either delete or improve it!

Tim, Dublin.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic Device Apart From..., 22 Nov 2012
First impression is a quite fantastic device having 3G, WiFi and GPS. I go to loads of gigs and have 3 million hits on YouTube so there is much potential here, particularly with the 21x optical zoom lens. Live tweeting close up quality photos is very satisfying for both me and my followers. If ever EE have the decency to deliver my 4G mobile wifi unit ordered 22 days ago then I may even upload videos immediately after recording.

The still picture quality is exceptional in broad daylight, in darkened environments where a flash is not appropriate no better than my Canon G12. The video quality so far has been promising. It's a little soft for a 1080p device but the two gigs I have made videos at were in a dark church in Hackney. Somewhere with a full-on lightshow may prove sharper. Like every other camera I have had it runs into problems standing down the front right by the speakers, things get a bit muffled and distorted. The auto-focus is rather slow to respond when zooming in and out leaving 3-4 seconds out of focus at times, again this should improve outdoors in daylight.

The Android functionality is only hampered by the Samsung customisation. I expect it for the camera hardware and the menus are very easy to use other than an apparent lack of recording volume options leading to sound distortion as above. It's just a shame they can't leave well alone in other areas.

Anything I can do on my other devices I can do on this. I ignore DropBox and use Google+ Instant Upload instead. It's just a shame I can't remove DropBox completely. Facebook still bombs out when trying to share directly from the gallery as it does on my Nexus 4.1 phone.

However...

Battery life is very short. 3 hours at a gig taking 2-3 videos and 20-30 photos sees the battery down by 50% despite being on power saving. This may be down to Instant Upload struggling to get a 3G signal but I shouldn't have to switch off that functionality to see if there's a difference. 5 days at Glastonbury next year might require 5 batteries unless I switch off 3G completely.

The fatal flaw leading to this particular item's return and replacement with another is the video zoom. When initially zooming forward there is no problem. But zooming backwards and subsequent zooming in either direction leads to an extremely loud crackle in the video recording. Hopefully this is just a one off with my unit and wouldn't stop me from recommending it.

##UPDATE##

Having had the replacement which came in blue rather than the advertised black a couple of points.

Our office Christmas Party was in a very dark night club in London. In these settings taking shots with the flash is pretty random as you don't get the green squares around faces very often leading to lack of focus and red-eye reduction simply doesn't work.

I went to the XFM Winter Wonderland and had my first occasion to test out the video on the new one with high volumes blasting out of the speakers. Unfortunately the previous issue with crackling/distortion when using zoom is still very much present. It also takes quite a while to regain the auto-focus when zooming quickly. I may just have to live with the crackling or simply use the zoom a lot less. In so many other ways it is a brilliant camera with no apparent rival on the market, very reluctant to return again.

##UPDATE##

Very impressed with Samsung via their Contact CEO facility. I had a very helpful reply from their head of customer services when I said it seemed a bit pointless to return the camera a second time only to discover the very same issue a 3rd time. He contacted their technical guys and came back with a request to try the latest software update, Android 4.1.2. I had already applied this but hadn't had a chance to test it out. I did note, however, this also contained a firmware update. Not having any gigs for a few weeks I put my Led Zeppelin DVD on and progressively turned up the volume to the point my receiver safety cut-out kicked in, zooming in and out all the while. Result, zero crackle. A minor amount of motor noise when no volume but this will not affect me. There wasn't even any high volume distortion and the levels were similar to front row Brixton Academy. Hoping this holds true at a real gig but looking great so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Galaxy Camera, 26 April 2013
I am no expert on using gadgets but this camera os absolutely fantstic. It is easy to use and produces fantasic photos. I am still learning all the features and getting better at using it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still very happy!, 7 Oct 2014
I bought this camera about a year ago now, and I still absolutely love it! I have to agree that viewing your photos on the HD screen on the camera is much more satisying than viewing them on a computer screen, but to add to that point, any that I have had printed have been of great quality. It's great being able to use editing apps in the camera as well as sharing your photos straight out of the camera.
There are a load of different presets including a continuous shooting, indoor and some clever camera trickery that combines the best faces for group portraits. You can use your voice to control the camera too! There is also a manual mode where you can adjust your own shutter speed, ISO and depth of field, which is great for more control over your camera and shots.
I had to purchase a micro memory card as I ran out of space on the internal memory, and had a little glitch with storage space and not being able to take photos, but I managed to solve that myself with a quick google search and downloading an app.

This camera is lightweight enough to carry around, yet has a nice weight to it. This is my go-to point and shoot camera for when I don't want to carry my DSLR around.

2.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic gadget! But rubbish after sales service!, 22 Nov 2012
overall,i am impressed,yes the battery life is probably crap,but as it takes samsung galaxy s3 batteries...just buy a couple,they are dirt cheap! I haven't taken a lot of pictures yet as it's been chucking down with rain every day,but indoors is fine and look good...really my only complaint is that their is no case available,get with it Samsung,why make a great camera then not bother even having a case you can buy!But overall, it's expensive....but it is fantastic fun and in my opinion a good camera.
9/4 2013.
Update....My wife liked this camera so much she bought one too,and despite hardly using it,the damned thing went very wrong about a fortnight ago. The touch screen wouldn't work and it was basically useless. As she purchased it from Jessops...no joy there! So we phoned Samsung and they insisted on treating it as a phone! So it was duly collected and as i write this it is being tested and we will eventually be told if it can be fixed or not. My point is,i have always liked Samsung but this is shoddy unfair treatment,in fact they even told her if it got lost or broken on the way to them it was her fault!
So my opinion of them has changed radically,and i would advise anyone planning on buying one of these cameras to think twice as Samsung are complete rubbish at pleasant,helpful service! So i am changing my rating,because if it goes wrong you are pretty much screwed!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great camera...extremely poor battery life!!, 5 Jan 2014
I got this camera as a present for Christmas after mothering for it since it's release in 2012.

Although it is a fantastic camera and I'm quite impressed with its features, I am extremely disappointed with the poor battery life.

The package I got came with the battery charger and extra battery, needless to say after both batteries being fully charged, one being placed back in the camera, other not, after turning camera on once and taking a COUPLE of pictures the battery went flat. Recharged, left camera for a few days without use and fully turned off, not on standby mode, and now both batteries need recharging, one hasn't even been used!!

Not sure if anyone else is having a problem with battery life to this extent, but considering sending the camera back and getting a refund, then re-purchasing at a local store, at least I would get warranty if something where to go wrong!

5.0 out of 5 stars First impressions....., 27 Feb 2013
Only had a couple of hours to dabble with this little beauty and I'm already impressed. It can do so much more than advertised. If you search 'youtube' deep enough you will find several tutorials that go in depth on how to use the camera and exactly what it's capable of such as viewing a pictures details using the 'tilt' of the camera instead of zooming in all the time!. Picture quality is very good on all modes I have tried so far. Slow motion of the sparrows on the bird table are a delight to behold. Voice recognition/control is literally faultless - tried to catch it out first time of use with "isometric workings of an equilateral triangle" and it got it word for word! wow!! Indoors with low lighting it took pictures like I was sitting in daylight, never had a camera that did that. I'm already using DropBox so don't have to go through the hassle of sitting in front of my PC to download pictures. I'm off on a two week cruise to the Caribbean soon so will extend this review on how it performed when I return. it's actually what I bought the camera for.........

Footnote: Just downloaded some pics manually to iPhoto (MAC) no problem...... but there IS a problem downloading video! investigated on several forums and apparently Samsung/Apple have issues with Mp4 video format and have this problem on a multitude of Samsung devices for at least TWO YEARS!!!!!. So... if you have a MAC and are using iPhoto and are expecting to download videos from the camera think again ? co's it ain't going to happen (shock, horror!).

Footnote 2: Found a long winded way to do it.... put micro SD card in an adapter, put the adapter in a usb sandisk reader, put it into a USB port, open it, drag each MP4 file into iPhoto.....

4.0 out of 5 stars No DSLR beater but a fantastic device, 15 July 2014
I'm quite keen on photography and previously used a Nikon DSLR camera, however I found myself rarely taking it out with me to events, holidays, etc due to the size of it. I was researching bridge style cameras when the Samsung Galaxy Camera caught my eye. I use an Android phone and Android tablet and decided that due to the operating systems ease of use, along with the fact that I could sync all my accounts, data and information, I'd buy this camera.

It's a fantastic device, it's no DSLR and this shows in low light and high speed photographs with an adverse affect of the quality, however for ease of use and pure simplicity in uploading your photos to cloud storage such as Dropbox this is a great camera.