1,604 Reviews
 (1,219)

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding
This film is nothing short of outstanding. Having never seen the stage musical, I wasn't sure if I would like the film or not, but I left the cinema feeling overwhelmed and emotionally drained at what I had seen. There truly are no words that can praise this film highly enough, and how Tom Hooper never received a Best Director Oscar nomination I will never know! Hugh...
Published 18 months ago by Karen

3.0 out of 5 stars Les Miserables - DVD/Blue Ray Version
I have seen the stage show in London's West End at least four times and I have seen the show provincially as well. It has become my very favourite stage musical of all time. I have the both of the DVD concert recordings as well.

I expected not to like the movie too much - there is something more special about a stage show I think. But when we went to see the...
Published 15 months ago by PhilJo

‹ Previous | 1119 120 121161 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars I even quite liked Russell Crowe's singing efforts, 19 Aug 2014
Well worth a watch. The various performances are very emotive. I even quite liked Russell Crowe's singing efforts, even though many others dont...

2.0 out of 5 stars Miserable., 7 Sep 2013
A. E. Steele (Staffordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I don't like musicals. After watching Les Mis I still don't like musicals. Especially opera types where everyone sings all of the time about the littlest of things - made worse by a tuneless songs.
The more famous songs are fine and maybe if the cast spoke in between instead of singing about going to the toilet then things would have been better. Maybe it works better on stage?
The plot is OK if a bit...miserable. There are a few stand out performances mixed in with some odd shot edit choices. And for some reason the camera is constantly zooming away from Russell Crowe.
The hype machine wins again.

2.0 out of 5 stars Overblown Hype............, 30 July 2013
Very disappointing! Singing (apart from one or two exceptions) was pathetic. Rich in spectacle but why oh why did they have to do it with ALL the dialogue being sung! It's not opera after all! This film would have been far better had it been done 'straight'. The story after all is a brilliant one.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the stage show, 21 July 2013
This review is from: Les Misérables [DVD] [2012] (DVD)
Like so many films these days it does not live up the hype. Having seen the stage show a few times my wife and i looked forward to seeing the film. Big disappointment. The music and singing was awful. the cinematography to dark. We tried to watch but gave up after half an hour. Threw it in the bin.

5.0 out of 5 stars best dvd, 13 Jun 2013
This review is from: Les Misérables [DVD] [2012] (DVD)
Best film ever put too dvd I went to cinema to watch it, but its even better having my own copy

4.0 out of 5 stars Les Miserables Blu-ray + Digital+ UV, 13 Jun 2013
Having seen the stage version many years ago, I was a little disappointed in the production, but that does not reflect on the product, I thoroughly enjoyed watching it, but prefer the live version.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ordered and delivered in time, 5 Jun 2013
Mr. A White (Essex UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Les Misérables [DVD] [2012] (DVD)
I could only say it's OK, the DVD is great, the downside is the Digital copy and the UV copy, I was unable to download or even see what they were like, so personaly, I would not buy any further DVD's, with promises like this but wait till they come out in the shops

3.0 out of 5 stars Les Miserables, 27 May 2013
After all the hype, I ventured forth to purchase a copy of this film version of the musical. Yes, the film is stunning but the vocals are apalling! These songs require big voices and ones that don't halter! The older Cosette's voice is annoyingly wobbly and generally all the voices are pitched too high. Russel Crowe was probably the best of the bunch but they all looked awkward singing and acting so I felt the whole affair rather off putting which spoilt it for me. A work of this nature doesn't easily translate to film and in my view is best contained on the stage with more power singers such as Michael Ball, Alfie Boe etc. Why they had to cast the actors they did heaven knows - all to do with big names as opposed to big voices! A shame really as it could have been magnifincent but in reality it was mediocre and left me quite cold!

3.0 out of 5 stars Price is too high, 22 May 2013
Although this film is excellent I feel the price that amazon charged was far to high at £17.00 without P&P I could have purchased it at Tesco & Morrison at £15.00 and at Sainsbury's at £13.00. I though that amazon was competitive but sadly not

4.0 out of 5 stars Great film but........, 22 May 2013
B. Clark (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Les Misérables [DVD] [2012] (DVD)
I love this musical and the film version was quite spectacular but oh dear,,,,,,why oh why did they cast Russel Crow as Javert. The man has absolutely no singing voice whatsoever. His speaking voice has good timbre but when he starts to sing all that disappears. He sings down his nose and not from his his chest, it's quite laughable really. I think it was because of his total miscasting that the film did not win an overall Oscar for best film. Crow has failed before with the miserable English accent he attempted in Robin Hood. So only 4 stars from me as Crow ruins it!

‹ Previous | 1119 120 121161 | Next ›

Les Misérables [DVD] [2012]
Les Misérables [DVD] [2012] by Tom Hooper (DVD - 2013)