1,976 Reviews
 (1,532)

4.0 out of 5 stars A bold and epic spectacle
Venturing into the cinema to see one of the most highly regarded films of the last year, I was clearly something of a minority. Many others there had seen the West End play. Most others knew something of the story. But not me! So, as a Les Mis virgin what did I think of my first time...

Very good actually. Les Miserables the film is a bold and epic spectacle...
Published 23 months ago by Greg Farefield-Rose

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good - but could have been better
Published 23 months ago by JS

4.0 out of 5 stars A bold and epic spectacle, 10 May 2013
Greg Farefield-Rose (Hertfordshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Les Misérables [DVD] [2012] (DVD)

Very good actually. Les Miserables the film is a bold and epic spectacle based around a main story lasting over most of an adult lifetime and many clever sub-plots. It has some fine performances by the main cast- Hugh Jackman, Russell Crowe and the award-winning Anne Hathaway - as well as fine support throughout, most notably by young Daniel Huttlestone and Sacha Baron Cohen and Helena Bonham Carter as the perfectly cast comedy couple. Light relief from an intricate, complicated set of stories putting the film at over two-and-a-half hours which is perhaps a little too long. Nevertheless all loose ends are tied up for a strong finale to this impressive, musical adaptation which is well worth seeing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 21 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Les Misérables [DVD] [2012] (DVD)
This film is nothing short of outstanding. Having never seen the stage musical, I wasn't sure if I would like the film or not, but I left the cinema feeling overwhelmed and emotionally drained at what I had seen. There truly are no words that can praise this film highly enough, and how Tom Hooper never received a Best Director Oscar nomination I will never know! Hugh Jackman is just exceptional as Jean Valjean and truly gave the performance of his life, as did Anne Hathaway. There is not one thing I can fault about this film and it is definitely a 'must see'. The music will leave you entranced, the performances will give you goosebumps, and the story will leave you emotionally wrecked. Have 2 boxes of tissues ready! 5 stars is not enough to rate this film!

5.0 out of 5 stars Les Miserables, C'est Fantastique, C'est Magnifique, 28 Dec. 2012
John Kwok (New York, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Les Misérables [DVD] [2012] (DVD)
Director Tom Hooper has literally rewritten the book with regards to filming critically and popularly acclaimed musicals like "Les Miserables" in his riveting, excellent cinematic adaptation of one of the world's most beloved musicals, while hewing more closely to the original text of Victor Hugo's novel; it is both a fantastic and magnificent cinematic adaptation of the musical. Hooper gambled that he could film "Les Miserables" by having the actors singing their roles during the actual filming without having them dubbed later in post-production, and not only has it succeeded beyond the expectations of many, it truly feels as though you are hearing a live outdoor performance of "Les Miserables". The cast is superlative starting with Hugh Jackman's compelling portrayal of Jean Valjean, as a conflicted soul trying to escape from his penal past; his singing is exceptional, most notably in his soliloquy "Bring Him Home", hoping the young revolutionary Marais (Eddie Redmayne) escapes from the Paris 1832 student-led uprising, so he can be united with his adopted daughter Cosette (Amanda Seyfried); so too are Anne Hathaway (Fantine) and Russell Crowe (Javert), with Hathaway giving an especially poignant rendition of "I Dreamed A Dream", widely regarded by many as the unofficial "anthem" of "Les Miserables". (Crowe has been condemned by some critics for his singing, but he shows his ability to sing nearly as well as his co-stars, especially towards the end, and offers viewers an emotionally complex portrayal of Javert that remains true to Hugo's depiction of him as a loyal civil servant intent on upholding French law.) Both Sacha Baron Cohen (Thenardier) and Helena Bonham Carter (Madame Thenardier) are especially memorable as the hustlers who are the guardians of the young Cosette (Isabelle Allen) until Valjean steps in, appearing later towards the end of the film, and so too, Colm Wilkinson - the original Jean Valjean in the London and Broadway stage productions - as the Bishop. Along with the excellent cast of actors, the movie features excellent musicianship from the likes of harpist Skaila Kanga and composer/arranger/pianist Anne Dudley, who has contributed additional music to the film score. "Les Miserables" is one of the best cinematic adaptations of a musical I have seen and will be remembered as such for years to come; without question, it is among the best films of 2012.

5.0 out of 5 stars film, 15 April 2013
This review is from: Les Misérables [DVD] [2012] (DVD)
Fantastic film every one should watch this the dvd is not bad either plays well and good quality enjoy the sound track is great

5.0 out of 5 stars Les Trihumphant, 30 April 2013
G. Lines "it's a fine life" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Les Misérables [DVD] [2012] (DVD)
27 years ago i fell in love with a musical Les Miserables and had the original cast cd the complete symphonic recording cd of the show over the years, It took me 24 years to see the show in the west end and what a show it was, the songs were so moving and for a musical it had a story and characters you could identify with.

When i saw the movie was being made i was a little unsure at first as Russell Crowe singing did not appeal to me,but then i sat in he cinema on the day it was released in the UK and was the first to take my seat only 6 of us in the cinema which was unerving , but after i came out and bought a second ticket and saw the film again.

This is one musical movie everyone should own as it has a great story a very strong cast and some really emotional heart string moments. This is a msut for fans of musicals and the cast all performed well Hugh Jackman, Anne Hatahway , Russell Crowe and even the young Daniel Huttlestone as Gavroche were superb, the later reduced many grown men to tears when Russell Crowe places his medal on the dead body of Gavroche. Would recomend this very highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceeded my expectations, 26 April 2013
This review is from: Les Misérables [DVD] [2012] (DVD)
I wasn't one of these people that were desperate to see this film, I wasn't really fussed to be honest.
After my Dad watched it at the cinema and quoted "Well that was 3 hours of my life I shant be getting back" I wanted to see it even less! However I did take the time to sit and watch this ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE film!

It was a stunning, beautiful film that I am very happy I decided to watch. I loved every part of the film. I thought every part was very well acted and sang beautifully (even those who actually could not really sing in my opinion).

Now don't get me wrong every word of this is in song, even the speaking parts are sung (with the exception of probably 10 words)so if you do not like musicals you will most likely not like this - hense my Dad and his life quote.I do however like musicals and I did actually love this, it exceeded my expectations & I for one am happy that I decided to make my own mind up and watch it for myself before judging because if I had not I would have missed out on something fantasic.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good - but could have been better, 25 May 2013
This review is from: Les Misérables [DVD] [2012] (DVD)
The film gave us the ideal opportunity to expand the stage version out into the real world. For the most part, this is accomplished. However, this ISN'T the stage version. The libretto has been altered in places and certain scenes have been moved about. Sacha and Helena could probably give a comic performance similar to those on stage - but here they're completely unfunny. Such a waste. Poor direction, perhaps?

The film does have stand-out performances and scenes. Eddie and Anne greatly surpassed my expectations. Their performances are full of power and emotion. The opening of the film is stunning!

All in all, this is a film based on Victor Hugo's novel with music adapted from the well-known stage musical. That is all. The chance to capture the stage version on film has been missed.

I'll probably watch it from time to time. More often, though, it'll be the concert versions from 1995 and 2010 for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Les Mis - Wow!, 12 Jun. 2013
Peter Pursall-Hole (Curbridge, Hampshire.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Les Misérables [DVD] [2012] (DVD)
My wife and I had seen both the West End production (about 25 years ago) and had also taken our teenage daughter to see the present production when it came to Southampton;and we enjoyed both productions very much. However, that was until the film was launched. We were both so impresses that I ordered the DVD as soon as it was advertised and couldn't wait for it to become availble for despatch. This film is awesome and our daughter, who didn't come with us to the cinema was well impressed when she viewed it. The story line, although well-known, is made far easier to follow than the on stage productions and of course, being a film, the special effects were lavish! The cast too, are superb and, I am told, caused many a wet eye in the cinema with their gripping performances. I thoroughly this film and can assure you that you will want to watch it more than once!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!!!, 31 Mar. 2013
The most Beautiful, moving film I've ever seen! Hugh Jackman was magnificent and was robbed from getting best actor oscar in my opinion!! I could go on and on and be a complete bore, all I will add is I cried, and found it wonderful!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing - I would give it more stars if I could!, 7 May 2013
Diane Lord (Leicestershire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Les Misérables [DVD] [2012] (DVD)
I have not seen the stage show and was worried that i may not understand the story (my friend had tried to explain to me beforehand but I was completely confused!). There was no need to have been concerned. It was the most wonderful film, in which I was totally enthralled from beginning to end. Everyone surprised me with the high standard of singing, with special mentions to Hugh Jackman, Russell Crowe (totally unexpected - he was fantastic) and Anne Hathaway (my favourites in that order). I was warned to take tissues - managed to hold myself together - just - but it was touch and go by the end of the film. Can't wait to get hold the the DVD now!

Les Misérables [DVD] [2012]
Les Misérables [DVD] [2012] by Tom Hooper (DVD - 2013)