5.0 out of 5 stars Masterful- Easily rivaling the work of fleming himself.
In the novel, Bond, first encounters The Union, a terrorist organisation reminiscent of SPECTRE. Unlike most Bond novels in which you are aware of the villains and their intentions, the book keeps you guessing all the way through the expedition up Kangchenjunga, the third tallest mountain on earth. I thought the expedition was a most origianal setting far superior to...
Published on 23 July 2000

1.0 out of 5 stars I had to check it wasn't a pastiche or mickey-take...
Possibly one of the most poorly-written books I have ever read. I made it to 40% of the way through before I had to stop reading. It's like the author is so conscious that he's writing a "Bond" book, that he has to get absolutely every single reference and Bond cliche in there.

For example, at one point meets his mission partner in a canteen on an Army...
Published 1 month ago by HereBeMonsters

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great 007 Novel, 15 Feb 2013
This review is from: High Time To Kill (Raymond Benson's Bond series) (Kindle Edition)
In many ways Raymond Benson is a worthy successor to Ian Fleming.He has a flair for detail but also the knack of writing energetic,involving stories.

This novel is worthy of inclusion in any Bond collection & would make an astonishingly good movie.I strongly recommend it to any 007 fan.

Thank you Mr Benson for keeping the essential spy so vital.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 16 Jan 2013
Having read and enjoyed all of Flemming's Bond books I didn't know what to expect from this. I was very pleasantly surprised. I loved reading this book. I couldn't get enough of it and found it hard to put down. I'll definitely be reading the rest of Benson's Bond books. I'd highly recomend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A mix of different Bond and other novels, 14 Jan 2013
A bit of Casino Royale (first girlfriend turns out to be a double agent) a bit of that one where the RAF pilot steals the nuclear bomb - why must the UK villains always be RAF officers? I think a bit of inter services rivalry here given Bond's naval background.

..............And finally a bit of The Eiger Sanction.

Bond thought there might be some opposition on the climbing party - too right old chum! - I think I counted 4 people on his team all out to kill him, not to mention various snipers, russians and chinese. I was half expecting a final twist where the doctor heroine also turned out to be a double, but that didn't happen.

I note the way the author continues Fleming's tradition of mentioning actual products (citing various climbing products for example)

I think anyone into climbing (I'm not) is either going to enjoy this book, as half of it is spent in the mountains, or be irritated with technical inaccuracies

On balance, despite the fact that I found myself speed reading parts, it was worth the time to read and I'll probably take a look at some of this authors other Bond novels

5.0 out of 5 stars True Bond style with fast cars, fast women and gadgets galor, 7 Oct 2001
By A Customer
Benson once again puts the style and edge back into Bond, showing that he is not some sort of superhero but a man with flaws like the rest of us.
The action is edge of the seat stuff with the usual clever plot twists and evil mastermind.
Buy it!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bloody Brilliant!, 18 Nov 1999
This is probably Bensons best book yet. It has loads of cool gadgets and girls. I really cant see why it is not a film. I hope he keeps the books coming and I am looking forewards to reading "The World Is Not Enough". BUY THIS BOOK!

4.0 out of 5 stars Benson delivers, 2 Jun 2000
By A Customer
Benson's best to date and pretty much what we would expect of a decent Bond novel. It could have been a bit longer and with a less obvious 'who is the murderer in our midst' plot line, but not bad at all.

1.0 out of 5 stars For enthusiasts' eyes only, 14 Nov 2002
strozzapreti "strozzapreti" (Bradford, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
A book is almost always better than the filmed version because it allows your own imagination to envisage situations and characters. This latest James Bond adventure is an exception to the rule. I wish I could view the story’s exciting action sequences on the big screen instead of plodding through the book’s numerous stilted descriptions of politics, sex, food, clothes and equipment. Benson does get some credit for being unafraid to make 007 a fairly disagreeable character, still unwilling to form a meaningful relationship with the opposite sex, and forever whining about physical discomforts of mountaineering in Nepal. Strictly for enthusiasts only.

2.0 out of 5 stars Thankyou Mr. Bond, that will be all., 9 July 2001
By A Customer
This was my first Bond novel. Perhaps I've been spoilt by the screen versions, but I thought this to be very poor. I did read it through, but I won't be buying any others.
The writing had little depth, there was no suspense (you want climbing suspense... read "The Eiger Sanction"), and there were holes in the plot you could drive a bus through. Perhaps Flemming's work is better, I don't know, but I didn't find myself reading this out of pleasure, only to see if it got any better. It didn't.
One for the car boot sale I think.

2.0 out of 5 stars �High Time to Kill� seems to suffer from altitude sickness, 25 Aug 1999
By A Customer
For me this was a very disappointing book. I thought it started well with lots of action and detail but soon petered out to a wordy tome with action in fits a starts and a poor finale. Marquis as the villain was cardboard and Bond made some big mistakes. He would never compromise SIS rules by forming a relationship with his PA, no matter how desirable, and they have all been that. Raymond Benson has produced vintage James Bond prior to this, almost to Ian Fleming standard - no one get be quite as good as the master - this lets him down. I don't suppose my lack of interest in mountain climbing helped but I found the passages on the climb, a big chunk of the book, very slow and what action that did take place lacked the usual Bond detail. "The Facts of Death" had pace, action, detail and Bondness as did Benson's other Bond books. "High Time to Kill" seems to have suffered from altitude sickness. I look forward to "The World Is Not Enough" and hope both Messrs. Bond and Benson are back on track.

1.0 out of 5 stars High Time to Sleep, 1 Mar 2008
This is Bond on the Eiger Sanction/Cliffhanger outing. He has absolutely nothing to do with how the plot develops but goes climbing in the Himalaya's to get back some McGuffin. Everything unfolds ala John Gardner in Man From Barbaraossa, in that anything Bond does has no effect on the outcome. Furthermore, not a trace of uncertainty crosses his mind on this adventure regarding the fact his parents were killed mountain climbing. I have enjoyed other Benson/Bond novels, but this was a low point.