Format: Blu-ray|Change

on 24 December 2013
Those of us who love Sorkin's writing, from The American President, through The West Wing and Studio 60, are aware of his political views and writing style. As one, unkind, critic said, it's as if he makes easy targets to mow down with his liberal agenda.

But that's to miss the point or, in this case, points; the first being that this is Sorkin writing at his best. Right from the first scene of the pilot, where Jeff Daniels answers the question from a shy young student, "Why is America the greatest country in the world?", we're off to the races. Just like the first main scene of Studio 60, where the host lambastes the state of US television, or the "You don't want to know the truth - you can't handle the truth" scene from A Few Good Men, we're soon into memorable rhetoric and superbly cadenced writing.

If that weren't enough, the ensemble cast is immaculate, right from the nominal 'star' Jeff Daniels, to the guest spots, everything sits just right. Emily Mortimer plays the Jordan MacDere character from Studio 60 and is superb.

If you don't know Sorkin's work then this is a great place to start - it will have you riveted from the opening scene - and you'll have the sheer joy of getting to know some of the classiest television ever made; The West Wing and Studio 60.

I gave it 5 stars - I wish I could give it more. Please give it a go... it really is as good as 'they' say it is.
on 7 December 2015
A massive fan of the West Wing and the short lived Studio 60 on Sunset Strip. So when this appeared I had to watch it. Jeff Daniels is amazing as Will Mcavoy who decides to lead his news team into making sure that the news that they report on their show is news again. It is smart and quick. Dialogue flows quickly in the newsroom. Worth repeat viewings. Shame that there is only three seasons.
on 21 November 2015
Fantastic! Spellbinding! I keep going back to it! t
The actors are terrific,the storyline has everything and more you could ever hopefor,and I wish I could have worked in that ACN office for real! It woulkd have been right up my street!
Just buy It,together with the Seasons 2 and 3 companion volumes! More please,Mr Sorkin !
on 19 October 2015
You can occasionally see the flair which "The West Wing" had, but although this is by Aaron Sorkin in a similar style, I found it disappointing. The "love interest" throughout involves two thoroughly annoying people and with whom I could find little empathy, and rather than contributing to the narrative it gets in the way.
on 11 September 2015
I was really thrilled to find another Aaron Sorkin series that lived up to The West Wing. Jeff Daniels is superb in the role of Will McAvoy and the newsroom comes across well. I have already bought Season 2 and look forward to Season 3.
on 25 October 2015
For me this was a surprise, but after the opening episode I was hooked. A shame that this programme got cancelled after three seasons, obviously more for political reasons than viewer ratings. Its a must watch.
on 11 April 2014
I know it is a fantasy. But Aaron Sorkin obviously loves the America Idea and wants to see there very best version that he can write, brought to the view. We can only hope that one day, someone really would take this stand and give us what we need to know and not what we are told we want/need to know...
I keep going back and watching this show, just like the West Wing before it. The writing is superb and the actors are almost universally great and at the top of their game.
on 20 November 2013
Watch the first 10 minutes of the first show, if you don't think "wow that was amazing and incredibly gusty thing to do on the season opener" then at least watch until the end of the first episode and see how they deal with Deepwater Horizon - if you do think it - then sorry but you're hooked. Whilst I can quite happily fast forward through some of the Don, Maggie, Jim the rest of it is either funny, thought provoking or totally enthralling. The dialogue is completely at TWW level (but a bit ruder) and the storylines excellent.

I've watched season 2 now and still love the whole thing, and I still actually don't care about Jim & Maggie, but can't wait for season 3.
on 25 August 2015
It took me to the third DVD to begin to like this and then I loved it. Getting over what it's not .... it's not West Wing. Embracing what it is - a fast moving pretty authentic view of a media channel.
on 30 December 2014
Aaron Sorkin can do no wrong for me. The only reason I have docked a star (perhaps unfairly) is because of yet another annoying British woman in a flawless American show - and yes, I am British. Jane Leeves as Daphne Moon completely ruined the otherwise superb "Frasier" for me, and Helen Baxendale was embarrassingly bad as Emily in "Friends". And now we have this "Mac" character, the "feisty woman who's always right, and she's British so she must be good". BUT I digress. As a show, Newsroom had me hooked from the first minute, and I will be buying Season 2.