Colour: Red|Change

This is a fast boil kettle which we knew. I suggest it is not filled above the 6 cup level as the boil is very bubbly and this avoids water splashing out of the pouring area of the kettle. Always use on a hard and level surface.
Very attractive looking and the dual read outs are very useful as you can seethe water level from different angles. Pricewise very good value. Register online with Morphy Richards for a free extension to 2 years guarantee.
on 2 May 2014
We bought this kettle just over one year ago ... it looked great and worked fine until just recently when we started to notice 'black' bits in the tea. I washed the kettle out and noticed the plastic 'strainer' was split, knowing what I know now I can only assume one of the larger black bits had caused the damage on its way out.

The black bits were actually part of the lid hinge assembly which was 'crumbling' away. M.R. Customers Services (LOL) stated that the plastic bits were not harmful and advised me to stop using the kettle, 'just in case'. They further advised that the plastic material had now been changed for a different type so they obviously knew about the problem but stated that no-one else had complained ... so that's OK then?

My biggest concern is that the main handle has become detached, the bottom mounting assembly having similarly 'crumbled' ... talk about planned obsolescence. So if you have a full kettle and the bottom attachment separates there is a potential for scalding either yourself or others in the vicinity ... think small kids, a point ignored by M.R.

No replacement kettle for me though, oh no, Customer Services, (a huge misnomer) ... tell us what you want and we will sell you another kettle at a reduced price ... my response , would you pay anything for another kettle that is liable to fall to bits with the potential for causing personal injury? I think not!!

Oh yes, in finishing, forget the shiny red lacquer finish, it wont last long, the looks will be soon marred and pitted as a result of any 'splashes' that may land upon its shiny exterior, think potato juice when peeling spuds for example, hard to see but a killer of varnish, trust me on this ... and I have no doubt that other dissimilar kettles having a similar finish will suffer to the same extent.

Electrical defects I could have accepted, wouldn't have been happy with, but could have accepted, but the collapse of the handle was the final straw. So, unless you buy the latest model, I don't know how to tell the difference, then you have been warned of the consequences.

I have written this to advise future purchasers of this problem so that should some-one, God forbid, actually have an accident M.R, cannot turn 'round and state no-one has yet complained about said defects.
33 comments|81 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 April 2015
Received this product quicker than expected, it not only looks good, it functions well and has it so that you can rotate the kettle to the position you want before picking up and therefore less likely to have a burning accident, easy to fill with a lid released by a pushable button, switch illuminates when on, I love this kettle, it is a bit heavier to lift than my previous kettle but well worth the money for the looks a lone!
on 28 November 2014
DANGEROUS
Bought this kettle in purple Mar 2013. It's lasted a year and 8 months. From one boil to the next it suddenly started leaking from the base of the viewing window. Luckily I spotted the pool of water round the base before I switched it on. The water was leaking on to the base of the kettle which was wet all over. Have not contacted Morphy Richards as I do not want another one. I think this kettle is dangerous as have read similar reviews.
If you are only concerned with its looks then it is a nice kettle. It was probably just under a year old when the purple varnish next to the lid became covered in something like limescale.
on 15 November 2013
Being metal, it is noisier than a plastic kettle. The spout could be a little narrower to give a more precise flow..
on 25 January 2014
I chose 5 star because its fast boiling energy efficient and witth such a wide range of kitchen equipment you can have everything matching id recommend these to anyone they are very good quality
on 9 November 2013
very pleased with this kettle, looks stylish and boils very quickly,
I would recommend this kettle it was reasonably priced too!
on 17 January 2015
This is a really lovely kettle with no drawbacks. Neat shape, good pourer, easy to clean. I would buy again and recommend to anybody.
on 9 June 2014
Its a kettle, it boils water, looks good and not a problem. Quite easy really, do not see what you can find fault with.

Nice buy.
on 15 April 2015
Bought this kettle 3 years ago, to date it works perfectly, no leaks etc. pours well, lid ok for filling, clear viewing panel. Well worth the £24.99 in Morrisons .