5.0 out of 5 stars Superb tablet.
Published 22 months ago by T. Green

3.0 out of 5 stars Customer Sevice
Purchased the Tablet for a gift for Christmas.Something became loose inside when pluging in the charge lead so was having problems with charging. Contacted A1cs and told to return the product for repair. This was replaced with a brand new boxed replacment with an additional complementry car charger. No questions asked just good old fashoned service.Not really had a chance...
Published 19 months ago by Cryptic Kirk

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb tablet., 20 Oct 2012
T. Green "TMG" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A1CS 8" RAPID5 TABLET PC - ANDROID 4.1.1 JELLY BEAN - DUAL CORE (2*1.66) CPU - QUAD-CORE GPU - BLUETOOTH - POWERFUL AND FASTEST TABLET PC
My second tablet from this company, this particular one is for my usage, the other was for my kids. Again im going to break down some of the individual points as I see them in no particular order as it seems a logical approach to tablet reviews, however I will start with the battery as it surprised me the most and seems to me at least, to be quite important in a tablet.

Battery---------- I gave this beauty a full ten hour charge and was testing a little, and setting up as it was charging, so no problems using it while charging.
I took it off charge last night and watched most of a film on it, then put it in standby mode (not off) then slept, woke it up after about 9 hours.

It's now been on battery 15 hours 26 mins as I write this, with 7 percent remaining and on and off the play store and playing music videos with full sound almost non stop, the last two hours connected with Bluetooth headphones, all with the screen on and Wi-fi on but Bluetooth turned off apart from the last two hours. Im going to continue till its empty then charge it again fully to train the battery properly.

I read a review about this tablet lighting up when on charge at odd times, I can say for certain this tablet does NOT do this on standby mode as ive fully tested this. Charging however turns on the tablet; this is actually a good thing because if the power button breaks the tablet can still be used. Just leave it in standby mode when charging and its fine.

In short, great battery life no problems here, at least as good as the other 9.1 inch fusion that I have maybe much better, battery graph shows almost no loss in standby mode.

Screen--------- Looks very very nice with the better resolution worth every penny extra IMHO from the rapid 7 inch widescreen version which I ordered initially and sent back because of a fault (great customer service.) Decided then to opt for the rapid 8 inch ips screen glad I did, the screen also looks much bigger than the 7 inch version because its 4:3 ratio.

Performance-----No need for overclocking or ram boosters here, no lag at all; the duel core CPU and quad core GPU do the job fantastically well, and it has enough memory, I have loaded many apps, all work very nicely.

Build/quality---- Very good indeed, seems solid the back i think is metal? Although no problems whatsoever with wi-fi at least within my house, it's a very well made product for the price and nice looking.

Camera--------- No rear camera and front camera is 0.3MP ::::: Edit have now ordered and received another for a friend, and his one seems to be able to go up to 1.3MP in the camera settings along with a few other minor changes (screenshot function) although mine IS 0.3MP.

Wi-fi------------No problems at all for me at least in my house, even upstairs. (Although some have had range issues)

Bluetooth-------Works well, although the range seems less than my other devices. I have sent pictures to it using my phone (sgs3) and it was pretty fast, have also paired my s1000 Bluetooth headphones to it although I had to use an app for that as you can't seem to search and pair from the Bluetooth menu on the tablet, it was easy to sort out.

Sound-----------Not quite as loud as the fusion, but loud enough and clear.

Jellybean O.S----What can I say ICS is good this is slightly better, as far as i can tell this is a non rooted (official) version of jellybean.

Delivery was fast (again) and I had to communicate with email and phone with A1CS, and they are very easy to deal with, good company.

Im really struggling to find bad points about this tablet, only thing I can find so far to moan about is that it has to be charged with its own charger, you can't charge by micro-usb, No physical volume controls either which I would have preferred but both are hardly a problem. I will add later perhaps to this review with an edit tag when ive tested other aspects such as the hdmi output.

EDIT AND UPDATE: I seem to have come across a bug in this version of jellybean, the permanant on screen vol controls have vanished, not a great problem because the video player has them built in and its possible to download vol control apps to use for other things, manufactures take note lack of physical controls are not always better. (All fixed now after system restore.)

This tablet also "likes" some micro-SD cards better than others, when one is installed that it does not "like" it occasionally unmounts the card and remounts which is why some people found the screen to light up at odd times (mystery solved, and it does not seem to like Samsung 32GB class 10 SDcards.)

Have now tethered my tablet to my phone to use mobile data to go online when needed as i have an all you can use mobile data plan, (using wi-fi tethering not bluetooth) and connected via bluetooth to a portable GPS receiver which all worked fine, you have to use a map App with the GPS reciever.

Still very impressed by performance and battery life remains good, I still get 4-5 hours with good usage out of it on a full charge although my first charge lasted the longest. I would advise turning bluetooth and Sync off when not needed as this i think is a big power drain, and also making sure WI-FI turns itself off in sleep mode (this is on a setting under WI-FI.)

Have also tried out HDMI output, and i must say it looked very nice indeed on my 40inch lg plasma another thing that i was impressed with is the fact it carried the sound as well, i was expecting it not to.

These are the output resolutions, i can not test on a 4:3 tv or monitor as all my stuff apart from this tablet is 16:9, on my t.v it looked great and worked on all resolutions full screen.

1920*1080p@50hz
1920*1080p@60hz
1280*720p@50hz
1280*720p@60hz
720*576p@50hz
720*480p@60hz

Hope this helps :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive, 12 Oct 2012
Only just received it - dispatched day after order and arrived next day. Much much quicker than Amazon estimate date.

I bought a Momo8 bird only a month ago and got this one on behalf of a friend who is not techy savvy - but is concerned about quality.

I feel a bit responsible because I am an Android fan and I convinced them not to buy a an iPay or indeed any major named Android product. I like a good deal!

On to the Rapid5.

Power supply not packaged in the box with the Rapid5, just loose in the delivery bag - but no issue with that. In the box is the Rapid5, headphones and obligatory USB cables, a tiny manufacturers manual and a small, but surprisingly useful manual that A1CS has obviously put together. Also in the box was a sheet that A1CS have signed/ticked off checks of charger etc - that is also reassuring that they do open/test the product and not just ship it out.

The casing is sturdy - with no obvious pressure marks on screen when touching the back of the case. Wifi connected immediately. Screen has a protector already installed.

Some apps loaded - but more importantly no Chinese apps - so no confusion as to whether or not an app is needed because I cant read Chinese. Well done to A1CS (I assume they did this!) for putting a good clean Jelly Bean on there.

I was happy with the Momo8 for the price but it is a bit laggy etc which is why I wanted something different for my friend.

I so much wanted this to be faster than the Momo8 (for my continued friendship!) and I was not disappointed!!

I am very impressed with the speed. Moves between apps very quickly and smooth. the stock browser appears to do a great job (wonder if this is a Jellybean improvement?) - certainly a lot faster than my Momo8.

Display via HDMI to large TV is great (buy a cheap 3 cable - ensure one end is mini HDMI!)

So far so good - in fact I am jealous that I have to give this to my friend!

In anything else crops up of importance I will update this review.

*** Just noticed that the price has gone up by 10 - I am not surprised - it was a steal for a few pence short of 100.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Tablet, 11 Dec 2012
R. Kolarik - See all my reviews
Bought this tablet 2 weeks after buying my first one on the ubiquitous auction site, therefore I have a basis for comparison. This tablet is very good.

Wifi reception is excellent - took 3 seconds to connect to my BT wireless router, and has worked ever since, web surfing is as quick as my PC, which is directly connected (not wireless). Strong signal upstairs, no problems whatsoever (compared to the previous tablet, which was unacceptably slow, if it connected at all).

Screen - bright, clear, fine pixels, wide viewing angle, correct aspect ratio (compared to the previous tablet, which was none of these things). The 8" (not widescreen) is better than a 7", big enough for comfortable reading of complete web pages. Also, the pixels are square, and circles are therefore circular, not squished down ellipses, like some other tablets. The 4:3 ratio makes everything easier to read as well. The size keeps it very portable as well.

Speed - it's fast. There's no waiting for programs (apps?) to load, or delays when touching the screen (which is superbly responsive - it's not glass, but features a screen protector, and still performs smoothly)

Solidity - build quality is great - feels solid with metal back, and survives drops onto hard floor.

Battery life - unexpectedly good, at over 5 hours of normal use with wifi on. I didn't expect this!

I've not tested the HDMI, the memory slot is working fine, 16GB internal memory is a big bonus - I don't understand how some tablets have no TF card slot. These are features I was looking for so, to be honest, I would happily buy another, and I can't see any reason to get a different one, even after a session with a certain fruit-based tablet the other day. If there are better products out there, they are well over double the price. This one wins on screen, processing speed, features, size, memory...I'm also delighted that it was working out of the box with a nice clean install, no advertising and unwanted apps. Exactly what I wanted.

Oh, and delivery was 3 days - much quicker than expected.

Negatives? The power button could be a tad bigger, I'd like volume controls on the case, there are a couple of pixels which are slightly brighter than the ones next to them (I mean slightly, it's not a problem, there are no dead pixels). I really can't complain.

I bought this after reading many, many reviews, so if this reassures or helps anyone trying to choose from the many products out there, great!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very impressive tablet, 5 Dec 2012
I am really impressed with this tablet. It is a very good size/ratio, light enough to use/carry for extended periods, and large enough to be able to see and read what is on the screen - and still fits in your jacket pocket if necessary. It is very fast and smooth to use, and starts up quickly.

The picture quality of the IPS screen is excellent and the touch screen is very responsive. It comes with cables that allow you to plug in usb drives or other usb devices and connect to your computer or phone. It also has hdmi and micro sd card ports. WiFi has worked well enough so far.

When I first received this tablet there was a problem with the charger and battery. I contacted A1CS and they offered to replace the tablet and charger and refunded the shipping costs. Very good and fast response from their customer service.

Since then I got a Storage Options 8 inch Scroll Engage Folio case, that fits/protects it perfectly.

I have been using this tablet a lot for the past few weeks and would definitely recommend - it's good value and is up to the minute technology wise - for the moment!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Buy, 26 Nov 2012
Bought two of these for my grand children aged 8 and 12 for christmas. both arrived within two days, charged them for a few hours and then set them up. No problems found at all and the Wifi worked well in all the rooms in my house. I have an ASUS transformer tf101 and i found these tablets to be even faster and more responsive.The 8 inch screen is an ideal size, it gives about 40% more screen area than a 7 inch tablet which makes for better web surfing and video viewing. If you are thinking of buying a new tablet and want it to be up there with the best at a budget price then you can't go wrong.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money!, 11 Dec 2012
Got this tablet a couple of months ago and so far its working great. Had a problem with the screen whilst it was charging but the seller replaced the charger which did the trick, list of my pros and cons are below:

> Good build quality
> Fast user interface
> Excellent screen resolution
> Sound is ok
> Wifi is a bit weak (get about 3 out of 5 bars when i should have the max but i get decent speeds even when on 3 bars)
> Doesnt charge through USB (but DC to USB is avaliable to buy on amazon)
> Charging cable is a bit short
> HDMI/SD Card is great (main reason why i bought this)
> Battery life is ok - get about 5hrs use (mainly browsing the net)
> Works with PS3 controller when wired (have a played a few PSX games and they run fine)

Apart from the weak wifi signal the tablet is fantastic value for money and will recommend it to anyone that is looking for a reliable 8inch tablet.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great present, 5 Dec 2012
I got this tablet as a gift, although after looking at quite a few I chose this one and I'm glad I did.

The delivery was super quick, was quoted 7-10 days, they (we ordered two) turned up three days after placing the order, excellent service.
Fired up straight out of the box and connected to our wi-fi easily. Charged it up for the seven hours recommended by the helpful note in the box.
Battery lasts really well. I've been playing with it for a few days now and it's so easy to navigate my two year old daughter has been hijacking it to play ten pin bowling on.

Apps from the play store are simple to install and again work really well, got one for my work that emulates MSoffice perfectly, so I wont need to lug a laptop around, Brill.

The only whinge I've found so far is that BBC iPlayer doesn't like to use the chrome browser. It throws up an error page with some 'help' that isn't helpful at all. But install the media player and set it to use the in-built browser and it works fine, so it seems an issue for google and bbc to sort out between themselves.

Touch screen is responsive, and easy to use, types really well, although there is a second or so lag before the sound clicks start to work.

I've plugged a 3 dongle in to go mobile and it seemed to be working, but not used it properly yet as the wifi is cheaper. Also plugged a big keyboard in to do some e-mails. That worked fine too, I can see one draw back though, only one USB means keyboard or dongle unless it will run a usb hub. Time will tell.

In summary its a really good tablet for the price, does everything I want it to and keeps the toddler quiet. Really like it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Tablet, 18 Oct 2012
I have had the tablet about two weeks now and find it amazing at any price and for under 100 - wow. It is very fast, even when handling my large photos in the gallery and the screen is bright and responsive. Unlike the much more expensive ipads it even works with my 3G dongle and is giving me convenient EMail function on the move. Internet browsing is also a pleasure. I have fitted a 32GB micro sd card and it handles this quickly and seamlessly. I think that tablets such as this one are the future of computing for normal personal use. My only gripes are over the battery life, although perhaps this is me; it is simply getting used to charginig it every night, and the other gripe is over the lack of a second micro usb slt. I have a small keyboard that takes over one slot and then I have to disconnect this to use the dongle. I have not bought this tablet for the camera but I could understand some feeling that it is not as good as it could be. But hey, a 16GB very fast tablet with amazing display and the latest android operating system for under a 100, offering more than an ipad. Buy it now!

4.0 out of 5 stars Superb tablet - just one, er, 'minor' issue......., 26 Feb 2013
This is my first venture into the world of tablet computing and the Android OS, and as a lifelong Windows devotee I was slightly nervous about trying something new, and at first glance, chaotic.

I should not have been so worried! This tablet is great! Android Jelly Bean turned out to be a really simple and easy to navigate OS. Once I got the hang of actually operating a touch screen (LOL) I found it incredibly easy to customise and strip away what I didn't need, though Android carries so little weight anyway there wasn't that much to remove or disable. The OS is fast, light and intuitive, I've had no problems with 'brain freeze' and the tablet has done everything I've asked. It's incredibly responsive and has kept up with all my stabbing and jabbing at the screen without complaint.

The display is wonderful and sharp - working with photos and images is easy with the super smooth touch screen. Films play superbly, and the ability to connect with HDMI means I can watch stuff on our big monitor straight from the tab. Games are brilliant fun - the graphics are sharp and bright, and the display moves fast.
I also use this as a replacement for my old ereader (I've tried a ton of reading apps, the best by far is Cool Reader) and the display is lovely, the tablet light enough to hold for prolonged periods, and the ability to quickly adjust the screen brightness makes it ideal for use anywhere.

Now to the one 'minor' issue. Wifi. This tablet really doesn't like it. In fact, the tab despises it. With a passion. The range is tiny - I struggle to connect to our home wifi even from the next room. I had seen other reviewers mention this, but as I intended to mainly use the tab for reading I didn't think it would be too much of a problem for me. But it is. I am really disappointed that I can't just take it down the pub and hook it up like my laptop, and that I've got to stay within a few feet of our home router if I want to maintain the signal. Using a dongle and sim works superbly, and once online the tab flies around the internet like it's pants are on fire. Then you try the wifi, and poor old tab just can't get itself out of bed.
It's a frustrating flaw with what would otherwise be the most perfect tablet in the world. Probably.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not too good to be true, 8 Dec 2012
About six months ago I bought a 7 inch tablet from an Amazon seller. It was a disappointment. The screen quality was mediocre, the wi-fi painfully slow, and it struggled to run more than one application at a time. After several factory resets without improvement, it went back. Since then I have been looking for a replacement. When I read the reviews of this tablet, I did not believe them. I thought the people who run A1CS must hhave been getting their friends and family to engage in some creative writing.
My cynicism was misplaced. This tablet is amazingly good value. The screen is superb both in terms of picture quality and sensitivity to touch. The wi-first is speedy and I haven't detected any problems with range. Apps fire up instantly and it switches between them with ease. Very easy to get started. This looks and feels like a quality product.
Good service as well. Arrived three days after ordering neatly packaged with the supplier's own English manual. The quirk whereby it does not charge via the mini usb seems strange but as well as a charger with plug there is a charger with usb connector which is highly portable.
The only think it lacks is GPS but if you have a phone with that, do you really need it on a tablet?