5.0 out of 5 stars Achingly beautiful.
A jaw dropper.

Arguably Hats is a better, more consistent album. It would be close though. And yes Toledo may well be the finest song Paul Buchanan has written. Again it would be a fine judgement and boils down to personal taste, Family Life would be a contender too.

However, this is the one for me. Because it was first, because on its release I had...
Published on 31 July 2007 by Daniel McAllister

1.0 out of 5 stars Money Money Money
The beauty and timelessness of Hats and Rooftops is undeniable, however it is incredibly frustrating and disappointing to buy a Collectors Edition with additional music packaged in bland artwork that consists of blank, yes blank pages and a booklet with a handful of photos in it. No information, no history, no liner notes, no lyrics, no obvious input from the band (other...
Published 20 months ago by Heatwave

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars What it could be but it is not (2nd cd), 17 Jan 2013
This review is from: A Walk Across The Rooftops (Audio CD)
I wrote the same about HATS but it is not bad to repeat it. In a few words, how is it possible to remaster a piece of art and include songs of other records on the second cd?. Don't you have any unplublished material? . What's up, is it so expensive to include at least b sides or even a concert?

Don't misunderstand me, all the songs are 5 stars but I am upset with the missed opportunity of offering a remarkable 2nd disc.

5.0 out of 5 stars No review necessary, 27 Dec 2012
This review is from: A Walk Across The Rooftops (Audio CD)
You don't know who The Blue Nile are? Seriouisly, you've never heard Walk Across the Rooftops? Well then I want you to take all your music and throw it in a pile and set it on fire because you have no idea what music is... and you're better off enjoying the silence. How dare you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Always have!, 7 April 2013
This review is from: A Walk Across The Rooftops (Audio CD)
Always have loved the tracks on this album, but somehow, lost my original copy. It's great to replace it, so I can put it on my MP3 as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have, 23 Mar 2013
This review is from: A Walk Across The Rooftops (Audio CD)
Even if you already own 'A Walk Across the Rooftops', you might want to treat yourself. Not only is there a bonus disc of rarities, the remastered album is truly wonderful. The sound quality is amazing.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Walk Across the Rooftops, 2 Feb 2013
This review is from: A Walk Across The Rooftops (Audio CD)
An excellent CD - I thoroughly enjoyed listening to it and would recommend it to my friends and anyone else who is interested in this type of music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless Beauty, 21 Nov 2012
Mark A. Burt "mark79724" (Paisley) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Walk Across The Rooftops (Audio CD)
Well what can i say, it's been such a long time waiting for the remastering of this beautiful album, and it's finally here. I was slightly worried that any tinkering might take away from the intimacy of the original recording. I was wrong. I bought Hats along with rooftops and they still take me on an amazing journey like no other album does, but this time the sound is so much sharper. In short if like me, you already have these albums you'll be wondering if it's worth investing again. Don't hesitate, don't think or mull over it. Just buy them, it's a no brainer. Enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Is it possible to have 6 stars?, 12 Jan 2011
Mr. Simon Hodgetts "Simon_H" (UK, Midlands) - See all my reviews
I've been kicking myself ever since I bought this album last month - why didn't I buy it sooner?

You may think that it's because I'm new to The Blue Nile? Nope. I've had Hats since the early 90s, and bought Peace at Last on it's release.

So why, why, why did I miss this masterpiece, after all Hats is one of my all time favourite albums.......

......but not my favourite Blue Nile album. I've been playing this album virtually daily since I bought it, and it never fails to astonish me.....

The production is superlative - listen to it on a good Hi-fi system, and the first track shimmers and groans and sweeps with such mastery it's frightening.

Tinseltown In The Rain sums up everything I love about The Blue Nile - it's sparse, dense, simple, sophisticated, regimented, funky - a whole list of contrasts (listen to the drums - there's no fills, no fluff, just a simple elegant back-beat which, along with a superb bassline drives the whole song along)- and when the rhythm guitar kicks in - wow!

I'm not going to do a track-by-track synopsis of this album.

If you have any love for adult orientated, beautifully crafted, meticulously recorded, and yet soulful and moving music, then just buy this, and be mesmerised........

5.0 out of 5 stars An Amazing debut..., 16 Mar 2006
Milt Ingarfield "milt_fm" (Arbroath, Scotland) - See all my reviews
"A walk across the Rooftops "(4.54) opens with quiet keyboards whose volume builds slowly to sounds like wires in a piano being struck, another keyboard sounds like a trumpet, the first line is sung "I walk across the roof tops" to start with deep bass notes, hi-hats and snare drum played in 4/4 time blends in with the bass, " I am in Love, I am in love with you" the whole track is built around those two lines during the middle 8 section the repeated lines are given more depth and power by the sweeping arrangement.
The track ends with the opening line being repeated and the snare being struck as the keyboards disappear into the distance.

Tinsel town in the rain (5.53) starts with an up-tempo bass line and piano run which sounds like it's singing the chorus, "Why did we ever come so far? I knew I had seen it all before" at the end of every line the piano plays a descending chord which is the opposite of the scratchy bass playing that has more 4/4 drumming at the back of it, chorus of "Tinsel town in the rain" again the sweeping string effect is used, Paul announces "I know now that love was so exciting" the track captures that first rush of emotion and desire that we all feel when we are first in love, to start with we feel that we has seen it all before and we take it or leave it but soon we are caught up in the moment, he asks and answers himself with the line "Do I love you? Yes I love you" but after that he states "its easy come, its easy go" in other words as quickly as we can fall in live we can fall out of love.

From rags to riches (5.59) begins with 2 match boxes being rubbed together, chimes and bells being struck with the sound of the chimes cross-panned from speaker to speaker as well as a single note played on a keyboard and a bass sound is used to give structure , this ambient sound-scape is the backdrop for Buchanan to delivery a vocal that is more like talking in pitch rather singing " I leave a home of a lifetime, like any son, I have hope and good intentions".

"I'm wandering into the daybreak, I learn as I go, to fall laughing into the water" at the end of every line the snare device is used giving the delivered lines potency, another keyboard has been added so as he sings "I am in Love, I am in Love, in Love with a feeling, the wild wild sky , the wild wild sky, fences and tumbled down bridges, surround and divide, I wear a coat of many colours, of many colours the sticks and the stones, are broken promises, I wait no longer to go from rags to riches" adding to the drama, a keyboard trumpet sound is used for the bridge.

Stay (4.55) this song is of similar to "Tinsel town" except the 4/4 time has an off-beat and a rolling effect has been has been used on the keyboards to give a relentless groove.
A keyboard run then the drum sound goes back and forth between the speakers more keyboards, drums with a hi-hat off-beat along with the bass and rhythm guitar "I'm taking out this party girl, the right situation is over, a new situation begins, the red guitar is broken, beat the drum of youth again, take to long to say, Stay "crash of cymbals just before the word "stay" which is repeated 3 times the line "I will understand you" the sound of the signature sweeping strings fill the spaces between the other elements in the song giving it a majestic sound.

Easter Parade (4.29) the mood is changed with this sombre piece with a simple piano intro that has had it's sound fattened up by another keyboard playing the same part at the back of it, the vocals of Buchanan begin with "The line of traffic comes to a standstill, for the love King out in the morning air, I find the place where I started from, the wild is calling this time I follow" at the word follow a dub effect is used to bring the songs title to the listeners attention, the descending and ascending device from the intro is used between the lines, with it's simple but effective sound and potent lyrics, that seem to talk of a perfect day but is it real or imagined?

Heatwave (6.26) has a gently played chord introduction that is all bird-like noises and rattling chains and what sounds a bicycle being ridden past along with a very threatening boom of the percussion, the bass guitar is playing the same as the keyboards an acoustic guitar has been added into the mix, after this strange beginning the track settles into a more traditional narrative structure.
The intro ends with a roll on the snare, the lead vocals begin "You'll never need another's heart, you are pretending that love is worth waiting for, you always breathe another air, the rivers in the distance must be leading somewhere, Heatwave" on the word "Heatwave" which has been recorded twice and has had re-verb added along with a pretty sounding run on the acoustic guitar which gives this summery feel that talks of the joy of youth and being in love for the first time.

Auto-mobile noise (5.08) sounds very similar to the previous although Buchanan's vocal delivery has added melancholy that the up-beat message from the last song didn't have.
This track has a menacing drum intro that has off-beats and other percussion effects, the bass and piano play the same 4 note motif that pulls the listener in the sinister sounding back wash of percussion and keyboards for the vocals.

Unfortunately this is only available in its original 1984 CD pressing and has yet to be re-mastered

5.0 out of 5 stars Avant-Garde, 29 Jan 2014
This review is from: A Walk Across The Rooftops (Audio CD)
From the first track of the first release from a new band it was evident that I was listening to something extra special. I bought this as a test record for my high end Hi-Fi, it was a welcome sign that a manufacturer of high level turntables Linn recognized that vinyl offerings were poor at best, as were the pressings. Garbage in Garbage out was a phrase Linn's founder and front man Ivor Tiefenbrun coined long before the ComputerTechies and Geeks latched on.
I have loved The Blue Nile ever since. A walk across the roof tops is a work of musical and literate art. That rock solid and rhythmic undertone, combined with rich velvety melodies and notes that stretch and dance, intertwining around a piece in pure harmony and grace. Stretching our romantic souls and letting our hearts be troubled. It has the elegance of a musical black tie affair wrapped around the voice of pure genius which is that of Paul Buchanan who becomes not unlike an instrument himself, tying the melodies and harmonies together in a way that only a true master can, not dissimilar to a modern Sinatra or Martin, there is an esoteric pureness about the vocals, where at times you feel the pain and the struggle of the lyric in a story to which it is best described and translated in Buchanan's extreme delivery of his musical narrative and of his literate genius. A musical masterpiece, a piece of modern art, where the music is never rushed or forced, laid back slow and deliberate where less is definitely more. Mainstream ? no, Top selling ? possibly, chart busting never. why? It is simple, the format was pop but on a whole new level, it was synthesizer based as was most 80's music however this was totally unique from its conception to its delivered result this was Avant-garde this was not pop, this was a art. Had the phrase new romantic not been coined to describe Duran Duran, Spandua Ballet and the like, it may have been the perfect genre for this music. Love songs, Life songs but with a difference these were individual masterpieces, pictures lovingly painted on a musical canvas. As with all true art these were crafted with the passion and honesty of a master crafts man.
Pop music for the intellect, if you don't get it I am afraid you have an undeveloped heart as this is more akin to the emotional mature listener. The journey continued with Hats the second album which saw the band at their utmost best. To venture into realms of The Blue Nile requires at the very least the respect that the listener goes back to the beginning and follows the journey from A to B, to cut corners, take a short cut would only be doing an injustice one's self.
Tinsel town in the rain could be any town in the rain but to deny that there is an influence from the geographical origins of the band and other bands of the time would be denying the people of Scotland the right to call it home grown. Deacon Blue, Del Amitri, Aztec Camera to name but a few who surfaced around the same time had one common attribute; they were Scottish by origin and had a unique story to tell. A walk across the roof tops will remain a masterpiece a first class debut offering as much as Raintown was for Deacon Blue and Waking Hours was for Del Amitri.

A walk across the roof tops paints a tantalizing image in one's mind of puddles in the rain, reflecting the visual warmth of neon lights whilst walking through a deserted town late at night, discarded newspapers blowing in the wind. Where one is wandering aimlessly reflecting the hurt and the pain of love lost. Bitter sweet and wonderfully broody mixed with spine tingling heart rendering melodies and vocals that truly send goose bumps tingling down your skin.
This is not experimental music this is Art perhaps it is a bonus that so few have ever found The Blue Nile perhaps a selfish thing to say but it is almost like a grown up secret.If God has a Hi-Fi he is sure to have a copy of this in his top ten albums of all time.
As with any release of distinction a lot of success goes down to the quality and skills of the recording. In the case of The Blue Nile they have pulled out all the stops and credit goes to all the engineers and producers involved. The results, the dynamics and sparkle within each track shows that the studio crews are an integral part of the band. The original album did not translate well from Vinyl to CD and without explanation, I will just add CD was sterile and imperfect it was a new medium discovering itself. To discover this re-release was great news but to discover that it has been re-mastered is an immense joy for me and the new release sounds superb on a 192 khz 24bit player. Nothing is lost but much is gained in the re-master which I am convinced is down to the Band using the original recording team such as the like of Calum Malcom
First released in the UK on vinyl for Linn records, .this was a first release for both the Label and the Band. Released in April 1984 Linn Records LKH 1. First released on CD in mid 89 the re-mastered album is now released on Virgin/Linn Records LKHCDR 1 (5099901730326).
This is definitely not one intended as back ground music, send the children to bed put the latch up on the door, get the glass of Vino Rosso and a comfy chair turn the music on and the lights down low, welcome everyone of you at last you really are a grown up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfection has been improved upon, 22 Nov 2013
This album finally sounds as good as it deserves. Even if you already have it, it's definately worth getting again.

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 | Next ›

A Walk Across The Rooftops
A Walk Across The Rooftops by Blue Nile (Audio CD - 2012)