4.0 out of 5 stars Well written but not overly original.
***This is book 5 in the series, there may be the odd spoiler for the previous books, but I've kept it to a minimum, i think!***

Published 15 months ago by g

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable spinoff
Published 16 months ago by Kate Phillips

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Well written but not overly original., 24 Jan 2013
g (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

Faeries, fey, the fair folk, fairies etc etc etc. I hate them. HATE them. I have yet to come across an author that writes anything likeable about them. There is rarely an original take on them, they are always tricksters, spiteful, cheating, you never promise them anything, you never make a deal, you never eat their food. Even my favourite authors have been undone when trying to write about them, Clarissa Clare sneaks them into the Mortal Instruments Cycles and Maggie Steifvater writes a series about them but neither made me feel differently. But everyone told me `read Kagawa's work' `she does different faeries' `you'll love them' they said......... Then I saw the cover and fell for the `for fans of Snow White and the Huntsman' tag line. I am a fan, and so thought it was a sign that I should put aside my fairy prejudice and try it.

Obviously that means I've not read the previous four books, but I did some searching before I ordered it and was told that its not essential to read the others first, although its part of the same story, its an arc that goes away from the first four books. This book follows Ethan Chase, who is the brother to Megan who is the Iron Queen, it gives you a quick run down of their history - both human, Ethan was kidnapped by Fey as a child and Megan had to rescue him, she then became Queen of the Iron Fey (more on them later) and he's seen her few times since. Ethan can see fey and this draws them to him, they are (as expected), rotten, nasty things and he's been expelled from numerous schools thanks to their trickery. So He's starts a new school, meets a girl (of course) and a `half-breed' fey, he apparently can't say out of trouble as within a few hours he's involved in a fight, which leads him into a whole heap of trouble, fey and human. His half-breed `friend' Todd has got caught up in something nasty, even half breeds can't help playing tricks and he's being chased by some ghost like fey (The forgotten). Long story short, Ethan gets involved, Todd's kidnapped, and Ethan and the girl he likes `Kenzie' end up in Nevernever - Fey land, and along with a half-breed called Kirran , they are tasked with finding out where Todd, and other half-breeds have gone, and who these ghost people/fey are.

Urrrgh. I am trying to put the fey thing aside for a minute. There is no doubt that Kagawa is a great writer, she can weave a story that makes you want to find out whats going to happen next, and the whole book was well paced, the action sequences were great and she draws you into her world. Ethan was a good lead, its nice to have a male lead for a chance, and a normal guy one at that (not a superhero in disguise type lad) , he's a bit of an arse and a little cocky too, even though a lot of its just an act, he's still likeable and you can't help but feel awful for him and the way his life has been ruined by the fey (although quite why he didn't ask his sister to put out the word that he was to be left alone, or why she didn't do it in the first place I don't know). The Kenzie twist was beyond obvious though, and any blog fans will know I HATE obvious twists, its not a twist it you can see it coming - and this is a big problem in much of the YA fiction, not just The Lost Prince, but everything I'm reading at the minute - no surprises. Finally the whole Kirran thing was a little hard to get my head around, with out spoilers I can't really explain too much, but time differences and the like were all a bit much (and the fact that there are secrets about him, yet we don't find them out was annoying).

On to the fey. Urrrrgh. Fey. Did Kagawa change my mind. No. Yes her Iron fey are unusual, they are modern fey, they don't have the same dislike for iron (hence the name) and their world was beautiful - Kagawa described it beautifully. But they are still fey, there is nothing new or different about their characters or their lives, just that they are more modern and like electronics and the like. They are still nasty, tricksters that you can't trust to save your life. I was disappointed, I'd heard so much about how Kagawa had changed the fey story, and maybe she has in the other books, but in The Lost Prince I didn't see anything to suggest that. I will say that I did like Razor, the gremlin, he was a fun addition to the story and was written as a character, not a pet - which made him come alive.

So no, I still don't like Fey stories, and have yet to find one that will inspire me. I think Kagawa could have written them so much better than she has, she is obviously a talented writer, and I did enjoy the story, but would much preferred it to have been minus fey (obviously), her story building is fantastic and I'd go as far as to say she's one of the leading Ya writers of the moment, but sadly her stories are just not for me, I've given it 3.5 stars on the basis of a great story, but there is still untapped potential there, and thats why its not 5 stars (oh that and the fey obviously!). If Kagawa writes a non-fey book I'll be there to read it, but no more fey for me.

ARC/eGalley kindly provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

5.0 out of 5 stars "I can't stop it. I can't stop Them from following me.", 23 Oct 2012
We have all been here. There is a series of books that you just fall in love with, they ended so perfectly that you would never imagine the author going back into that world and disrupting what has already been a wonderful ride. Then one day out of the blue you see it, the confirmation that the author is doing just that. They are messing with your series! How can this be? What will happen now? NoooOOOooo I forbid it to happen!

Then you actually stop and think about it... The original series was so awesome how can the author mess it up that badly? And at the very least we may get to see some of our favorite characters again. hhhmmm... maybe this isn't such a bad idea after all.

Well those of you who have read and loved The Iron Fey series, you can rest assured. Kagawa has done an immaculate job with The Lost Price. It has everything that a good spin-off book needs in order for it to be remarkable and worthy of the love you have for the original series. There are great new characters and just enough 'page time' with the old ones to satisfy that craving.

The Lost Prince follows Ethan, Meghan's half brother. To be honest it is only fitting that everything should be ending with Ethan seeing how it was him being kidnapped in The Iron King that started Meghan off on her original journey. Ethan is human and at first you think, what could be so interesting about him to deserve an entire spin-off? Well Ethan has always had the Sight. He can see the fey around him and they have never left him alone his entire life. So although he is no part fey he is still very much tied to their world. I really felt for Ethan and the understandable torment that he has gone through over the years. His thoughts and actions are exactly how I would think a teen would react in certain situations and it was refreshing to read something that seemed so authentic in such a magical and unauthentic setting as the Nevernever. In other words I believed what I was reading. He is harsh, angry and sick and tired of everything fey and to be honest I would be also if I were him!

I have to say that for a moment I was in fear that there was going to be a love triangle but thankfully that did not happen. It is not that I hate the love triangle but it was such a large part of the original series and I just did not want to see that storyline again. But as I said it doesn't appear that will be happening so that made me very happy.

Because I felt the characters were so real and believable it made me instantly fall in love with them. I understood the decisions that they made and never really had the 'book thrown at the wall' kinda feeling that I sometimes get when silly decisions are made that I can not comprehend. We also get to see our fair share of old characters and all I can say is that I am so glad that I was alone at one point. When Puck showed up I honestly did a 'whoop' and fist pumped the air a few times, I was that excited. What can I say; I absolutely love everything about Puck!

So as you can tell I really enjoyed The Lost Prince and I am so excited to have another book in this series to look forward to. Kagawa has already titled the next book, The Traitor Son and as of right now it is listed as being published in September 2013. I know that is a long time to wait but I promise you it should be worth the wait. Do not hesitate at all to pick up this book because I really do think you will enjoy it if you liked The Iron Fey at all. There was so much action and it was lovely to have the story continued... I sound like such a fan girl but it is hard not to gush when you just liked something so much.

Christine
Rainy Day Reads

Note: I was given an ARC copy of this novel directly from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

4.0 out of 5 stars great read - but feeling very much like a set up for the next one., 30 Jan 2013
L. da Costa "Book addict" (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lost Prince (The Iron Fey - Book 5) (Kindle Edition)
I have read this whole series and have really enjoyed it - I was really pleased to find that there was another book in the series and it was good to revisit characters, I really enjoyed.

If you havent read the other books in this series, then I would highly recommend you doing so before starting this book, as I think you could possibly get very lost.

The story itself was excellent - lots going on and was new ground for the series, it was a great balance between the old and new.

The only reason why it got 4 stars instead of 5, is because the ending was quite unsatisfying as it was very much a led up to the next book. I wont go into too much detail as it involves spoilers. Having said that, most of Julis Kagwa books end in the same way. So if you like the author you will be use to it.

All in all though a really good read - just need the next book sharpish!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good overall., 1 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Lost Prince (The Iron Fey - Book 5) (Kindle Edition)
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Harlequin (UK) Limited and Netgalley.)
Ethan Chase's sister Meghan disappeared years ago to become `The Iron Queen' in the land of Nevernever (fairyland). Ethan isn't happy about that, but he's even less happy that he is constantly on the alert for faeries and constantly trying to stay out of trouble, and all because he can see Them.

Starting at a new school, the last thing Ethan wants is to run in to a half-breed, especially one who doesn't want to leave him alone. But as this particular half-breed - Todd seems to be being chased by some sort of faery that Ethan has never seen before, he figures he should help. Then Todd disappears.

Ending up chased by the very same freaky faeries that have kidnaped Todd, Ethan does the only thing he can do - escape to Nevernever, and ask his sister for help.
Can Ethan rescue Todd though? What exactly are these weird faeries that nobody seems to remember? And what secrets is The Iron Queen hiding?

Let me just start this review by saying that I haven't read `The Iron Fey' series by Julie Kagawa from which this series is a spin-off. Loads of reviews that I have read have all been written by people who have, so I decided to do the opposite, and read this first. I'm sure there are plenty of you out there who haven't read the original series, but might be intrigued by this one, so let me just say that I enjoyed this book without having read the `Iron Fey' series, and although I think there probably were spoilers form the previous books in this book, I was able to read this book without getting lost or confused, and I still intend to read the `Iron Fey' series (just as soon as I get round to it - so hopefully before I die).

Anyway, I found this book really captivating in the beginning, the first 20% of the book flew by, and I was glued to my kindle. Unfortunately I didn't feel quite this way further on in the book, by the middle my attention was lagging, but the book did then improve again towards the end (making this book quite difficult to rate!). I would have to say that I enjoyed it overall though.

I liked Ethan, and I could understand why he wanted to keep a low-profile from the faeries. I got why Todd latched on to Ethan for help, and I liked the love interest - Kenzie.
I liked the storyline, although the ending was left very open for the next book. I have to say that I'm interested as to what will happen to Kenzie especially after a shock revelation in this instalment.

There were plenty of guest appearances from people who I'm guessing are in the `Iron Fey' series, and I suppose I would have recognised these if I had read the previous books! There's also a cameo from Puck.

Overall; I enjoyed this book, but I wasn't blown away by it. I will probably read the next in the series, mainly to find out what happens to Kenzie.
7 out of 10.

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable spinoff, 20 Dec 2012
Kate Phillips "Kate" (Southampton, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I have a confession to make; this is the first Iron Fey book I have read. I own the first book in the original series but just haven't got round to reading it yet, but as I had an ARC of The Lost Prince I thought I would start my Iron Fey journey there. Despite being a spinoff of another series this was easy to follow and didn't require me to read the original books in order to understand this one.

I was expecting quite a lot from this, Julie Kagawa's The Immortal Rules was one of my books of 2012. The Lost Prince could not have been more different, it was not what I was expecting but I wasn't disappointed and for the most part I enjoyed it.
Julie Kagawa writes with such an easy style. It is not hard to get sucked into the worlds she creates. I loved the fey, the descriptions of them and their homes really came alive for me. I thought the storyline was interesting and engaging and it kept my interest all the way through.

Most of the characters were awesome. Kenzie took some time to grow on me but by the mid-way point I really liked her. She was brave and fierce and everything you want in a leading lady. Kierren was another character I adored. From the moment he appeared I was more than a little taken by him.

The main problem was Ethan. He took brooding to another level. He is an expert on throwing pity parties. There were times where I couldn't blame him, I would be angry with my sister and the fey if I was him to, but sometimes I wanted to tell him to man up.

I did have a few other problems. I felt that too many things were left hanging at the end and that it was maybe a little too predictable, but other than that I really enjoyed this and look forward to the next book in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!!!!!, 2 Nov 2012
This review is from: The Lost Prince (The Iron Fey - Book 5) (Kindle Edition)
Loved, loved, loved this! I fan girl screamed when I got approved to review this on Netgalley. It was great seeing everything from Ethan's perspective and just as great seeing what had become of Meghan and Ash in the years that they've been in the Iron Realm.

The Lost Prince doesn't just revisit the ordinary Fey and the Iron Fey but also draws on the Forgotten Fey that were mentioned in The Iron Knight, something I was very intrigued about at the time. The plot unravels pretty fast and I was reading furiously fast towards the end of the book just to find out what happens.
Ethan proved to be a charming, infuriating, fascinating (and hot) protagonist and when teamed with the 'take no crap' Kenzie, they made a great team and though I did suspect that there was something Kenzie was hiding from the beginning, I was still surprised when I found out what it was.
I was also left feeling deeply sorry for Ethan with everything he had gone through because of his ability to see the Fey and try as he might to avoid them he ends up smack in the middle of trouble all over again. I also however, admire how resilient he is without ever truly losing touch with his emotions...oddly enough he reminded me of a certain Winter Prince from the Iron Fey series. :)

This review wouldn't be complete if I didn't mention Keirran...if you don't remember the echoes of that name from The Iron Knight from when Ash was being tested then it will certainly mean something to you by the end of the book. As for what he does and what happens to him, I guess that will have to wait until the next book.

Speaking of the end of the book, I was pretty much screaming in frustration that I have to wait ages for the next book. But hey, I'm sure It'll be worth the wait and I can't wait to find out what happens to everyone. I can't write with much more detail because I don't want to spoil anything. But Iron Fey fans: Go forth and read this when it's released! Also, Grimalkin is in it and Puck!!!!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The boy who sees Fey, 24 Feb 2014
E. A Solinas "ea_solinas" (MD USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Most writers of young-adult fantasy about the fey just end up copying Holly Black and/or Melissa Marr. Julie Kagawa came up with one of the few unique ideas: a new breed of fey derived from technology.

And in "The Lost Prince," she produces another wildly original tye of fey that threatens the existence of all others -- and anyone unfortunate enough to get in their way. This sequel to Kagawa's previous series is darker, grittier and has an undertone of tragedy, as well as a hardened new protagonist. Its only problem is the "To Be Continued" note of the ending.

Ever since he was kidnapped by the Fey, Ethan Chase has been acutely aware of how dangerous they are. Years later, they still follow him around and cause mischief to anyone he befriends, so he's acquired a reputation as a dangerous loner type. But now Ethan finds himself at odds with a new, strange kind of fey -- ghostly, tattered creatures with broken wings, which are causing regular fey and half-bloods to vanish without a trace.

He and the irrepressible Kenzie are forced to escape into the realm of the Iron Fey, and they only escape with the help of a mysterious young fey named Keirran (who has his own reasons for helping). Together, these uneasy allies must figure out what these creatures want, and what they are -- and if they fail, they might end up worse than dead.

Expect a number of familiar faces in "The Lost Prince" -- Ash, Meaghan, Puck, Leanansidhe and Grimalkin all pop up at one point or another, and some of them are important to the plot. Also, we FINALLY get a good look at the Iron Fey's realm, which is pretty freaking awesome -- think a steampunk kingdom with metallic trees, clockwork dogs and neon fireflies.

But having Ethan as the narrator gives the novel a very different feel. It's darker, grittier and has more of an edge, and Kagawa's prose has grown tighter without losing any of its poetic edge ("twisted with vines and coils of tiny lights, soared up to a vaulted glass ceiling that showed off sun and sky"). She also weaves in plenty of action and fight scenes.

Ethan also is a very different protagonist from Meaghan -- he's harder, more suspicious, and initially detests and mistrusts all fey for the things they've done to his friends and family. His love interest Kenzie is pretty much the complete opposite, but her sprightly personality turns out to have a painfully realistic secret as well.

And... Razor. Just RAZOR. He makes me want a pet gremlin; he is that adorable!

The one problem is the ending, which is only sort of an ending -- since we have more books to come, several subplots feel very unresolved, including the mystery that nobody will tell Ethan.

"The Lost Prince" has an ending that sputters, but the clever ideas and excellent characters are more than enough to make me eagerly wait for more. Only Julie Kagawa knows what these new fey have in store...

4.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic 'teen' saga, 15 Feb 2014
Helen King (Norfolk, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lost Prince (The Iron Fey - Book 5) (Kindle Edition)
A good series by Julie Kagawa, some grammar incorrect, but kept me riveted and HAD to keep reading on! I would definately recommend it and will be saving it on my kindle for my son to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 8 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Lost Prince (The Iron Fey - Book 5) (Kindle Edition)
It took me no time at all to read this book, I love Ethan and kierron and their bond an the fact you get to see their bond grow in this book

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, a great look into Ethan's world, 21 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Lost Prince (The Iron Fey - Book 5) (Kindle Edition)
The Lost Prince takes place many, many years after The Iron Fey series, there are appearances from the characters in that series if anyone is interested. Ethan Chase is a 17 year old boy who keeps getting in trouble due to the fey's mischief. He's had to switch schools again because he was blamed for burning down the library at the last one. It wasn't him, a bunch of fey chasing him thought they could `smoke him out'. Nevertheless, he has a `bad boy' reputation and people at the new school have already heard of him. The Fey always give him trouble once they see him and his family have to keep moving around, they never see big sister "Meghan" anymore now she's so involved in the faerie world. However something starts happening to the exiled fey around him and when a halfling comes to him for help, he's sorted of forced into helping. Now will he be able to get back out before the land of the fey draws him back in?

I really enjoyed reading this book, i was a big fan of the original series and am glad that Julie decided to do a `spin off' series based on Ethan. He's grown up quite a lot from the first books but he's very enjoyable and interesting. You can see why most other people steer clear of him and why he gives off his attitude, the book is a great way for those that enjoyed the first books to carry on with the story. I really like the idea behind the plot and the "Forgotten Fey" and the reasoning as to why it's all happening. Kenzie is cool as well, very enjoyable as a character in her own right, even without Ethan. I know many people didn't like Kierron, but i thought that he was a very welcome addition to the book and his personality was very cleverly thought through. Without giving away any spoilers, there's some interesting information about the characters from the first books that you should find out just over halfway through Very enjoyable read, it's recommended that you read the original series first as their are some references that make more sense if you have, however you should be able to understand most of it without reading The Iron Fey series

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›