Star Trek (Xbox 360)
Platform: Xbox 360Change
Price:£6.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 29 April 2013
Not a bad game at all but let down by some rubbish AI that keeps disappearing then reappearing and NOT really supporting you when it comes to watching your back in fights. Found it a bit buggy in places where the AI seems to be invisible, maybe this will be fixed with a patch.

On the whole its not exactly the calibre of games like Lost Planet or Dead Space but its still worth buying. Have played a good percentage of the game and enjoyed it so far.
on 29 April 2013
The game appeases my inner Star Trek fan than it does my inner Gamer. Lots of in-mission levels set on the Enterprise give a true scale of the ship and it is interesting to see all of Engineering, Sickbay and the shuttlebay in all their detail.

There are not as many references to previous shows or Original series elements, but that kind of fits in with the new films as they try hard not to alienate their new fanbase by delving too much into the older Trek fanbase.

If you are a hardcore gamer, you will most likely find little in this game, however as a Trek fan, it is a must buy.

Two high points of note in particular are:

1. The dialogue, which has nailed the feel of each character. Bar Uhura who sounds bored to tears.

2. Musical score, which sets up the tones of each level perfectly. It emphasizes the eerie feelings on New Vulcan, feelings of exploration on the Gorn Planet and heroics when on the Enterprise.
on 3 August 2013
This is a bit of a weird one to review for me... Until I saw Into Darkness, I hated the reboot version of Star Trek. However, that film was a massive improvement for me, and so I went into this game with a little less cynicism and expected more of the same.

In that respect, there is a nice feeling of continuity with regards to what the crew is up to between Star Trek and Into Darkness.

Unfortunately for me, a lot of the gameplay hinges on some of what made me dislike the first film: running around, Kirk spending most of his time holding on by his fingertips, and a copious amount of lens flares. This does leave the game feeling slightly repetitive - run there, shoot that, run back, do this tricorder puzzle, do that one, run some more, cover, run, repeat.

On the other hand, the fact that the entire cast has provided voice work and the story is actually surprisingly engaging does a lot for making this an enjoyable experience. There are also some varied levels, such as guiding Kirk or Spock through a freefall, doing spacewalks and even taking over the weapons of the Enterprise itself.

The levels designed to give you a look around the inside of the ship are definitely high points of the game - especially for any true Trek geeks out there.

Probably the most major flaw of this game is the glitched achievements. Sometimes they work as expected, other times you gain them earlier than you should, and sometimes you can complete an achievement three times over before you're finally awarded it.

Honourable mention for flaws also goes to the rather odd way you have start a co-op game. You can't pick up where you left off, and player 2's XP and items don't stay with them from one session to the next. You have to pick a chapter (providing you've unlocked it) and start a co-op game from there, with a second player who has no upgrades on their weapon or tricorder.

I've had some issues with the control of the characters as well - not jumping when I tell them too, running in a totally different direction to where I'm pressing; as well as some unfortunate glitches such as scripted events not being triggered or my character not going through doors with the AI character so I can't get to the next chapter. The irritating thing about this is in these cases, I've had to restart the entire level to progress.

I find it odd that even after this long, it doesn't appear that the game has been patched in any way.

On a more positive note, when playing with a friend this is definitely a more enjoyable experience. Playing alone isn't terrible, but the AI is stump dumb at times - especially when you're trying to be stealthy.

Definitely not the best game out there, definitely not the worst Star Trek game either. Hardcore Trekkies will probably get the most out of it.

Having said all that, I have spent a lot of time over the last month playing the game because when you get down to brass tacks, it's FUN. And let's be honest, that's the most important feature of a game despite the niggles - and hence why I gave it a decent 3 stars.
on 27 April 2013
I did two playthroughs of the game, with both Kirk and Spock.
It is not as buggy and glitchy as some reviews imply.
There were only two glitches and a couple of bugs in both of my playthroughs. Nothing significant, just cosmetic stuff.
The game never crashed on me and the missions never bugged out, I could complete all of them.

The bad:
1. extremely clunky controls
2. inconsistent graphical quality; some parts look great, others terrible
3. stale facial animations..."manikins"
4. no close-quarter combat moves
5. dumb enemy AI

The main problem I had was with the clunky movement controls.
I used to think that Rockstar games had clunky controls but Star Trek has much worse.
The combat got very frustrating at times, especially when you had to fight several enemies at once.
It also bothered me that you didn't have any close-quarter combat moves, like basic punching.
Because of this and the clunky controls the assault approach should be avoided. Go for stealth instead.

The good:
1. the stealth gameplay was fun
2. an entertaining storyline...a decent sci-fi adventure
3. a nice variety of settings to progress through
4. using the weapons and tricorder was great fun
5. excellent music

The stealth approach was enjoyable because using the tricorder, stun weapons and takedowns was addictively fun.
I would distract the enemy using my tricorder, stun him with my gun and then knock him out with a punch or nerve pinch.
You can use the tricorder to distract the enemy, jam weapons, hack turrets etc.
Using the weapons was fun because they all have their iconic traits and designs, they feel unique.
You can also upgrade them to have better stun effects and such.
Lastly I appreciated all the different settings you traveled through, it gave the game a good sense of adventure.

The overly clunky controls and inconsistent graphical quality are the two main problems the game has, if you are able to ignore this and focus on the positives you get a game with a decent storyline and fun stealthy gameplay.
on 3 February 2014
This game is shockingly bad. I was really looking forward to its release but after playing it I wondered why I had wasted this much of my time that I will never get back. There is nothing fun about this game, there aren't even any movie references in it, so it was being released around the time of the second movie, like a lot of people I presumed it would be based (maybe even loosely) around the film. I was wrong, even as a stand alone game it is terrible. The graphics we poor as is the writing and scripting. It is pointlessly hard in places and ridiculously easy in others. There is no continuity throughout either. This is a game so bad that when I took it to be traded in the guy at game threw it over his shoulder into a bin full of this game and told me that for some unknown reason they were willing to offer me £15.00 trade in for it at which point another member of staff proclaimed that that was £14.99 more than it was worth. This tells you a lot about how much people liked this game.

Stay away from this game because you will never get the hours you wasted on it back.
on 29 May 2013
Game is alittle boring at times,if you like FPS you'll like this ;-) Would have been so much better as an Adventure game.
on 29 April 2013
Well where to start? I love Star Trek, and you'd think a game with a good writer on board, and solid voice acting from all the cast of the reboot would be good. Unfortunately it isn't. It's clear that this game was released in a highly unfinished state.

It has less polish than a dusty old cabinet in a shed, and more bugs then the insect house at Chester Zoo. Allow me to elaborate. The game is clearly designed to be played with a human co-op partner. If you have to rely on the AI, you're in for a lousy time.

- Your AI character (Spock in my case) will very often get confused by simple things such as walls and just run into them
- When ordered to unlock a door or hack something he will very often just stand there
- On one occasion I was downed in a gun battle. Did Spock heal me? No he just stood there looking and I had to restart and entire section
- The jumping mechanics are a joke
- The graphics would have been an embarrassment as a 360 launch title

I honestly don't know how anyone can rate this game above 3 stars. It claims to have 'Mass Effect' style gameplay. That's a huge insult to Bioware and anyone involved with the Mass Effect universe. This game does not even deserve to lick Commander Shepard's boots.

Truly awful stuff. If you don't believe me, rent before you buy!
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 18 March 2015
This game was full of glitches and bugs when I played it. It wasn`t so bad that I couldn`t finish it, but it was extremely bad. Spaceships flew trough other ships and if you clicked the (get to cover) button you could walk on thin air. I really thought that all the bugs was funny to play with, but it is really distracting if you`re trying to follow the story.
on 21 April 2014
I find this game suite fun and not worthy of the negative views I know views are just that , it's no call of duty or battle field, it's just harmless fun if a little frustrating at times I'm enjoying it , I haven't found the glitches people are on about yet perhaps the update cured it

Off to save the universe live long and prosper , lol
on 26 July 2014
I bought this game a little while back for my boyfriend as a present. Not my sort of game, but he seemed to enjoy it so that is all that mattered to me. Plus the delivery didn't let me down either.