on 23 May 2013
I bought the Kindle version of this book and I was somewhat taken aback to find I had read all the stories although the book was only 50% through, and the other 50% was taken up by an extract from a forthcoming book. It could be my own fault for not checking closely enough although I didn't see anything that informed me this would be the case before I downloaded it. I felt somewhat cheated because I certainly don't want to read part of a book. I like Sophie Hannah, and these short stories were ok. But they were very short, and overall I was rather disappointed.
on 3 February 2013
I Really enjoyed these short stories. Sophie Hannah has a great ability to create "hairs standing up on the back of your neck" moments in her writing. If you enjoy creepy thrillers in short form or you enjoyed Sophie's other books and her previous short story collection "The Fantastic Book of Everybody's Secrets" then you'll like "Something Untoward". I particularly loved the story 'Nobody Move' with its twisted ending and the story 'The Asking Price' certainly got the pulse racing! Great little collection.
on 17 March 2013
I was surprised to find that the extract from Sophie Hannah's new book occupies 50% of this book. I probably wouldn't have bought the book if I'd realised that sooner. I guess that's the downside of electronic books - nothing really replaces flipping through a book before you buy...The stories are ok.
I must confess I don't often read short stories as I prefer the development of a both characters and plot so my review is slightly biased. I do however love Sophie Hannah's novels and in these six tales she writes about domestic situations. I'm afraid I didn't really feel the 'terror' although I did smile at some of the observations made about the situations described.

My favourite story was The Birthday Treat, mainly because I felt I knew those characters very well (unfortunately) As always Sophie Hannah gets the characterisation spot on.

That said these stories were very short, in fact the stories only take up half of the kindle reading, the other half is the beginning of her next novel The Carrier So be warned, if like me you would prefer to wait for the whole book you are effectively being charged for 44 pages of reading.
on 29 December 2013
Six excellent short stories but I was expecting more than a few pages each. The majority of this is taken up with the extract for The Carrier.
on 21 April 2013
The short stories were fine but half of the book seemed to be taken up with the first few chapters of her new book - not impressed
on 20 January 2013
The stories were quite good.- but some were perhaps not quite long enough to get you gripped! quite readable though!
on 16 February 2015
Although very short,these stories are excellent,very creepy indeed, and I enjoyed them all. I usually avoid short stories as I like a plot to unfold and characters to fully develop.This obviously isn't an option here,but because the author is Sophie Hannah,I decided to give them a go.Delighted,as they really pack a punch.I knew before buying the book that it contained an extract from her latest novel,but I'm glad that I wasn't deterred.
on 16 March 2013
Whilst this was ok i'm not a big fan of short story collections. I thought most were good but obviously too short.
on 4 June 2013
I love Sophie Hannah's thriller/murder novels and have read them all, so I bought this collection of short stories and boy are they short! To be honest each story is so short that they are just a waste of time and even with Sophie's compelling writing style, I almost feel that there is no point in reading them!