4.0 out of 5 stars Very practical and accessible
Published 22 months ago by Rt Raikes Meko Ltd

2.0 out of 5 stars heavy going.
Oh dear... not really pitched at my level, I gave up and just went for a ride. May pick it up later and try again.
Published 16 months ago by M. Cummings

4.0 out of 5 stars Very practical and accessible, 1 Oct 2012
Rt Raikes Meko Ltd "Bob" (Camberley, UK) - See all my reviews
Just got this book, having had a Powertap since the spring. I found it very helpful to understanding how to use it better and how to use it to make my training plan for next year. I have both Friel's 'Cyclists training bible' and the Coggan book (Training and Racing with a Power Meter [Paperback] Hunter Allen (Author), Andrew Coggan (Author)). However, this new book has explained things much more quickly and in a more practical way. Using the book and my records of rides this summer has helped me to pinpoint the difference in my training that led to a boost in my power this year and I hope to use this knowledge to boost again!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 16 Dec 2012
If you have a power meter and find Hunter Allen just a bit too technical, this is perfect. Joe Friel writes in a very down to earth and practical way enabling you to get all the key points you need to structure your training.

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful but limited, 20 Dec 2013
Pros - An easy to read book that provides the opportunity to improve your performance if you are selective
Cons - There is very little detailed advice on how to build a training programme - you'll need to buy one of Friel's Bibles to get that!

I've read and re-read this book and it is helpful, hence the 4*'s. However, as an advanced cyclist I began to realise after the second reading that there is a distinct element of the 'emperor's new clothes' about this topic. The Power Meter is just the latest craze in getting faster. Yes, I've changed my training programme (without the aid of one of Friel's bibles) but I'm still undecided about getting a power meter. Having discussed the rapid improvement of a fellow time triallist who saw some significant improvements in 2013 and who put it down to Power Meter usage I then probed exactly what he did. Most of his improvement came from awareness of what he was doing wrong and a lot of it had little to do with the Power Meters (yes, plural!) that he had invested in. So, treat this book with caution. Read it, analyse it and draw your own conclusions. In places this book is little more than an overt attempt to sell Friel's other books and his involvement in TrainingPeaks on line offer.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, 15 July 2014
This review is from: The Power Meter Handbook: A User's Guide for Cyclists and Triathletes (Kindle Edition)
Not too technical, just enough detail.
Great explanation of why we do the sessions and the benefits of them all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 14 July 2014
A must read if you are starting out with a power meter

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Read, 15 April 2014
This is a really good choice for anyone who has just bought a power meter for their bike. It explains theory and practice of using a power meter to develop your cycling strength in an straightforward an easily understandable way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book., 25 Mar 2014
Great book to help get started I the world of cycling with a power meter. Explains most things in not too great detail. Training tips as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good basic introduction to training with power, 23 Mar 2014
I thought this book clearly covered the major topics required to make sense of a power meter. I would recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wealth of information to make a power meter purchase worth while, 20 Mar 2014
I read this book prior to buying a power meter. It gave me an insight into what I was buying and what extra I would need. Great explanation of how to use a power meter so you can train / race at your full potential. Worth every penny.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Book, does get technical in the second half., 25 Feb 2014
Good Book, does get technical in the second half - but a read if you are interested in training with power.

The 1/2 half is invaluable in giving why you train with power, how to set your zones etc.

It does loose a star as it repeats itself too many times.