5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing!
Published 19 months ago by Island Maid

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit too lazy for its own good
Now I'm not against taking a genius composer and reinventing him, one way or another. Lambarena and Jacques Loussier did it successfully with Bach.
But this attempt is just too lazy and, frankly, not very inventive. The best part is actually Vivaldi's music, behind which Richter sparingly adds one pop-like chord progression that he reuses throughout the album. What...
Published 11 months ago by Pompompom

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing!, 18 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Recomposed by Max Richter: Vivaldi, The Four Seasons (Audio CD)
WOW! I love it! I heard this played on the radio and went looking for it. Just as great the second time I listened. Don't expect the same as the original at all - it's definitely re-composed. He has made some astonishing and brave changes- but they work. I found it very exciting to listen to a piece I am so familiar with but with some amazing 'twists' in melody ad rhythm. If you are open to the change, then this is a great experience. I thoroughly enjoy it! Great quality recording too.

5.0 out of 5 stars fresh, 29 May 2014
Christopher Davis (UK) - See all my reviews
I can see why you might meet this with some hostility.

To "re-compose" could be seen by many as tantamount to bastardisation. And yet we cannot see the old masters such as Vivialdi, Wagner or even Mozart as being beyond an injection of fresh perspective and to me that is simply all this is. A new slant, a house with a lick of fresh paint. Not rebuilding but remoulding. Like Picasso "redrafting" a Goya Painting what we get is something that many will see as unnecessary - insulting even - and yet I personally cannot argue with the delicate beauty of Spring 1with its 21st century near-syth backdrop, or the utter apocalyptic verve of Summer 3 which attacks the ears before lulling into a darkly introspective final chapter.

It prompts me to consider what else we might see "recomposed."
For me I'd love to hear Richter recomposed by Vivaldi.
One can but dream.

4.0 out of 5 stars it's a good word. And its a novel, 1 Oct. 2014
Mark Slattery (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Wooo. So, it's strange to start with, right? Buildings get re-modelled. Films get re-made. And music gets covered, or versionalised if one can put it that way - but re-composed? Well, it's a good word. And its a novel, but very valid idea. He didn't re-write this, he re-imagined it through his own musical ears, and yes, ears don't often imagine things but here they made an exception. Thankfully, there are few better ears to re-imagine things through than those of Max Richter. Even if you don't like the recomposion of the Four Season, it's hard to fault his skill. And there are times when he leaves less, and achives more, than the original. I can guess there may be some to whom the very excercise is anathema. But Richter's piece is extraordinary in its beauty and would stand alone if it were not inextricably linked to the original. To my ears, its works well for the majority of the time and made me re-listen to the orginal and yes appreciate it no less. Not a bad outcome?

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 2 Jun. 2014
Atmospheric, evocative and stunningly beautiful. I can't stop playing it. As a fan of Vivaldi I had not expected to marvel at this updating. Just try it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime, 29 July 2013
The most beautiful music I have ever heard. If Carlsberg did music then this would be it. I don't even like Vivaldi's Four Seasons.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous, lush, inspiring, 23 Mar. 2014
H Jackson (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I listen to a little classical music and only really stuff that is fairly popular anyway. Like many people, I have heard the original Vivaldi Four Seasons and enjoyed it. This Max Richter version though is even better. The addition of bass notes and very subtle electronic accompaniments make the sometimes jangly Vivaldi sound deeper and more beautiful. I love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A masterpiece, 17 Jun. 2014
If you like the combination of classic and electronic music, this album is a MUST HAVE. I totally recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars It Rocks - and not in a Nigel Kennedy sort of way., 29 July 2013
This kicks ass. It is beefy, thudding, and tempered with a feminine grace.

Do not let the telephone waiting machines EVER get rights on this version!

5.0 out of 5 stars MESMERISING, 2 Mar. 2014
Dagmara (London, UK, GB) - See all my reviews
Absolutely stunning piece of work. Very emotional experience. If you are not yet a fan of classical music this will convert you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Music, 17 Feb. 2014
I have other output from both Daniel Hope and Max Richter and this collaboration does not disappoint. Thoughtful, melodic and different. Should never be regarded as a replacement for the original (pretty obviously!) but stands superbly on it's own. I have bought, and/or recommended to, my family and friends.