Format: Audio CD|Change

on 8 November 2012
I pre-ordered the dvd + 2 cd version on Amazon a week before release, but Amazon was unable to deliver anywhere near the release date of 5th Sept '12. I was informed of this by an email from Amazon, which I am grateful for, so I bought the item from HMV on it's release date for a few quid less at £20!
I have been a fan of Queen for nearly 30 years now and this concert has always been my favorite of the official releases. The band gave their all in Budapest and the recording is far superior to Live At Wembley in my opinion. For me, it was great news that this concert was to receive the 5.1 treatment.
Ok, being a Queen fan, I'm bound to say that Freddie Mercury was the greatest singer/songwriter/performer that ever lived, but... HE WAS! And he certainly proves it here..
As for what you get in this dvd 'deluxe' package.. The original Budapest VHS concert release on dvd, but this time crystal clear and sounding superb with 5.1 surround. It is still edited like the original VHS release because some muppet lost the cuttings.. However, the 2 cd's are, I think, the whole concert recording. For me this was a surprise. There's a lot of Queen and Freddie on the discs that I had never heard before. To be honest, the cd's are the real jewel in the crown for Hungarian Rhapsody so I would recommend buying the dvd + cd version. I cannot comment about the Blu-Ray release, but I'm more than happy with the dvd...!
on 24 March 2013
If there was an option to give 9/10 I would have preferred to have done so. It's a great show and, if you're fairly new to Queen, I'd definitely recommend it. Queen were (one of?) the first major rock act to play behind the Iron Curtain and those fortunate enough to be there were given a great performance.

However, if you've already got Live at Wembley '86 then you should be aware that this is not hugely different. Forgive the spelling here, but the only real difference is the inclusion of Tavaszi Svel, a Hungarian folk song that Freddie bravely attempted to sing in Hungarian. Other than that, the show is very similar to Wembley, though the drums in Hammer to Fall contain more fills than usual. Sadly the one thing that would make me want to give 9 rather than 10 is the inclusion of the 1950s covers that Queen performed on the 1986 tour. If it was just one song, in particular Tutti Frutti (which really works live) then I'd be happier. Now I accept that they are included as they were performed on tour, but for me they just take up time. And with their extensive back catalogue I struggle to see the logic for them being performed live. But that's the only negative - the sound quality is good, better than at Rio the year before, and if you haven't already got Wembley 86 then I'd definitely recommend it. Queen were, in my opinion, the greatest live rock act ever, and they were at the peak of their powers here.
on 1 June 2015
Finally. I believe this was always better than the Wembley show which has been re-issued repeatedly over the years. Better sound and a little more interesting to watch too. Nice to have the cd and dvd in one package as well.
on 24 October 2013
In 1986 Queen were the biggest live band on the planet. This was sadly the last tour as it was soon to be apparent that Freddie was ill and he died in 1991. Anyway, you all know the amazing story of Queen and the tragedy of Freddie Mercury. This was recorded in Hungary, a country then behind the 'Iron Curtain' in the summer of '86. It was a historic event and a hugh success for Queen who were now at the peak of their powers. This DVD is a must for fans but great for the casual listener too. All the hits are here in stunning cinematic clarity. This will not disappoint, especially when you get the bonus of a 2 CD set with the full concert audio! "We will rock you", they bloody did!
on 26 December 2012
I was glad that this particular concert was picked to be remastered and to have new digital life. The sound is fantastic, great job was done! The picture is not the same quality that Wembley or Montreal has but so was the original, as far as I'm concerned. To compare with what it was on TV or bootlegs before this release - it's fantastic anyway.
For any Queen/Freddie fan it's a must have without any questions (questions can be asked only by non-fans). To possible "why" the answer is simple - are there too many Queen concerts released officially? So welcome, the next repaired gem, and thanks to those who did it!
on 17 February 2013
its about time this concert was released on dvd what a great concert can't beat the wembley concert this dvd had two audio cds of the concert as well as the dvd plus xtra features for all the die hard queen fans
on 31 October 2012
I really enjoyed watching Queen's Hungarian Rhapsody at Edinburgh's Vue Cinema it demonstrates that Queen's music and live performances can embrace old and new generation no matter what age.

Queen's documentary `A Magic Year' shows the best of Queen through their `Show Stealing' performance at Live Aid on 13th of July 1985 to Freddie Mercury and Queen final live performance at Stevenage, Knebworth Park on 9th of August 1986 along with extracts from concerts from Stockholm (Sweden), Slane Castle, (Ireland), St James Park (Newcastle), the two legendary nights at Wembley Stadium, Maine Road, (Manchester), and the main concert itself Nepstadion, Budapest. The document is a showcase of interviews from John Deacon, Brian May, Freddie Mercury and Roger Taylor filmed in the spring of 1986 to promote their album `A Kind of Magic' and fore coming `Magic Tour'. This shows them as a tight nit group of people who enjoy touring rather than being stuck in a recording studio as show when they where recording `One Vision', the song that was a tribute to their `Live Aid' performance.

I would like to award this fabulous and glorious movie `5' stars and I hope it is also released on DVD format similar to Queen's two legendary Wembley Stadium concerts. As I mentioned in Queen Live at Wembley Stadium 25th Anniversary Edition review, I hope that release, re-construct, and digital re-mastered both Queen's 8th of March 1981 Argentina Concert and also their 18th January 1985 'Rock 'n' Rio' Concert in complete format for the Queen fans young and old.
1313 comments| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 December 2012
Recommended. Watching this concert is like traveling back in time. The picture is perfect. Freddie is a great frontman, perhaps the greatest ever. This film proves that Queen is one of the biggest bands in rock history.

Delivery made ​​on time.
Thanks, Amazon UK.
on 9 January 2014
As I own a copy of the original VHS recording this adds very little new aside from the documentary. I went to see this in the cinema on its release too and the sound for the cinema mix was awful but thankfully they seem to have put it right here.

Nice to have - not need to have and unfortunately Queen fans such as myself would like to see something other than re-hashed product from Messers May and Taylor these days.
on 8 May 2014
Bought it as a present for my father. He loved it. As soon he opened the box it went into the DVD player and we watched it. Very entertaining, with background stories. If you like Queen, you will like this product.