5.0 out of 5 stars Starry Night, 2 Oct 2012
This review is from: The Lady Astronomer (Kindle Edition)
The Lady Astronomer is a highly enjoyable book with a neat premise.

It documents the exploits of Lucretia H, her madcap family, furry astronomy assistants and the adventures that await them.

The story is great, as is the writing. I particularly enjoyed the exploits of Leibniz the lemur. This is a light-hearted adventure of a read with dark twists and is eminently readable by the most reluctant of readers and worthy of bookworms.

I can highly recommend The Lady Astronomer to adults and older children (I'd say tweenies and up) and look forward to more from this author. A very innovative and original novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stellar Story, 2 Oct 2012
This review is from: The Lady Astronomer (Kindle Edition)
This is a stellar romp through Georgian Astronomy - with a difference.

The Lady Astronomer has a strong story behind it, funny, sad at times, with twists and turns that you can't anticipate. An enjoyable journey loosely based on true events concerning Caroline Herschel, beautifully written with a great cast of characters this is definitely not your average historical novel.

Leibniz the lemur was portrayed really well, as was the perpetually bonkers King George.

Highly recommended for anyone looking for something a little different. For their older children or themselves!

5.0 out of 5 stars An enchanting read for adults & children, 1 Oct 2012
This review is from: The Lady Astronomer (Kindle Edition)
The Lady Astronomer is one of those books I suspect parents will buy for their children and read themselves because it's so absorbing and rekindles memories of the fairytales our parents read to us when we were children.

A delightful read, The Lady Astronomer transports the reader into the life of Lucretia The Astronomer and her unusual family of a Lemur called Leibniz, Orion the European eagle owl and her two human brothers Al and Freddie as they head to the English city of Bath by Royal appointment to construct the largest telescope in the land. However, life has is full of surprises and they're not all good - Lucretia finds herself held hostage at one point.

The dialogue rolls along at a cracking pace and it's as though you're listening in on a conversation and not reading dialogue.

The highlight for me was the letter they wrote to the King in which they referred to him as 'Your maj.' That had me hooting with laughter.

The other thing I really liked about this book is that the main character is a strong woman in a traditionally male dominated career. Its important young girls and women have strong role models to inspire them to achieve and break down the barriers that still exist. It's also important that young boys also see that girls can do anything and be anything. That's why we need more books like this one and more characters like Lucretia.

If you want to discover if Lucretia and friends get the happy ending they deserve, you'll need to read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Didn't know what I was expecting, 10 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Lady Astronomer (Kindle Edition)
I almost didn't buy this book, the blurb seemed a little uninspiring and potentially dull. I'm glad I was wrong There is a wondrous surrealism about this story that appeals to me. If I was going to compare it to anything it would be something like "Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell".

The whole work just exudes quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 6 Oct 2012
This review is from: The Lady Astronomer (Kindle Edition)
I don't normally leave reviews, but in this case I must make an exception. It is an incredibly well written and finely paced novel that I just could not put it down. The writing, taken in tandem with the evocative artwork of the cover makes me want to see this as an anime. I can only hope that somebody from Production I.G. or Studio Ghibli picks up on this modern classic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review, 7 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Lady Astronomer (Paperback)
I immediately fell in love with this book. It was so cleverly written! The beginning especially. I did not expect it to start that way. The storyline is absolutely wonderful, and again, well played out.

I liked the era that this book was written into. It isn’t language that we typically use every day. Although, I am from Canada, and we don’t talk like that. Maybe in another part of the world they do? Either or, I really did enjoy the change in language.

There was a moment that I was very emotional. Katy sure had a way to show wickedness and make you feel what others felt. I may have even shed a few tears. But you have to read to find out what it was I was overwhelmed by!

There were many amazing moments that made a good impression. I will definitely be re-reading this book!

Another thing I noticed was the Snow White and The Seven Dwarves reference. I thought it was cute and I always love little twists like that in stories.

The ending was just perfect. I don`t think that there could have been a better end to this wonderfully written story.

*The only thing that I did not really like about this book was that it had tons of pauses in the story. Yes, the story goes on for a long time, but I feel like a lot was skipped. But other than that, the book was great! I give it 5 out of 5 stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars Charming, Whimsical, and Enchanting, 26 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Lady Astronomer (Kindle Edition)
"The Lady Astronomer" by Katy O'Dowd reminded me of the fairy-tales I used to read as a child, with all the unusual animals and fun plots twists. I loved all the gadgets and clockwork animals, especially the mechanical orchestra.

Lucretia, the main character, is interesting and appealing. She's witty, active, strong, yet feminine, and knows what she wants.

The story moves along at a brisk pace (perfect for kids!), with lots of engaging dialogue and brief yet vivid descriptions.

The idea that no dream is impossible (a great message for anyone, kids and adults!) and the spirit of magic and exploration of "The Lady Astronomer" reminded me of "The Little Prince" by Antoine de St. Exupery who wrote:

"All men have stars, but they are not the same things for different people. For some, who are travelers, the stars are guides. For others they are no more than little lights in the sky. For others, who are scholars, they are problems..."
For Lucretia and her companions (including all the fun clockwork creatures!), stars are all of that, at different times in the book: guides, problems, and lights in the sky. I loved Katy O'Dowd's beautiful writing style, especially when she described the mystery of the night sky and the stars. Just take a look:

"Though stars peppered the skies with diamond dust, their light would no more have illuminated the predator than a candle at one end of a particularly dank, gloomy tunnel."

"...there are as many uncharted islands as there are stars and planets in the skies."

"The air was cold and the sky was completely clear, stars winking and blinking in the blackness."

The book also provides a fun way to look at the British society and royalty. I loved "your maj" as a way to address the king! A wonderfully whimsical, humorous, and fun book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Recommended, 12 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Lady Astronomer (Kindle Edition)
Well worth the read. I didn't realise this was loosely based on a true story. Not a long book but I could certainly recommend this book

5.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable, 7 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Lady Astronomer (Kindle Edition)
"The Lady Astronomer" by Katy O'Dowd is a quirky and very entertaining story that reads in parts as a regular historical novels and in parts like a fantasy tale.
Set in exciting Georgian times of geographical and technological discoveries it carries the spirit of the "no dream impossible" of those times.
Equipped with highly intelligent and helpful animals the heroine Lucretia tries to accomplish her mission to assist her brother.
Lucretia is an interesting character herself, with many more bows to her string. She is based very loosely on a real lady astronomer.
The writing is engaging, the pace just right and the story line charming and beautifully over the
top. The portrayal of British society and Royalty feels authentic but never dry.
This is a fascinating and compelling read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life, the universe and everything..., 5 Nov 2012
This review is from: The Lady Astronomer (Kindle Edition)
I've just finished this magical romp through Life, the universe and everything and am reluctantly saying goodbye to Lucretia's delightful family; including the rascal lemur, Leibniz and the beautiful Orion owl.
Katy O' Dowd has put together an amazing mixture of Historical fiction and Fairytale wonder. I found myself lost in a fantastic journey; so full of real life problems and solutions.
Beautifully written novel which I recommend for young adults of thirteen upwards. But don't be surprised if your parents rob this and can't put it down. Best to hide it until you're finished reading...

ARRAY(0x104ff0c0)