5.0 out of 5 stars Starry Night
The Lady Astronomer is a highly enjoyable book with a neat premise.

It documents the exploits of Lucretia H, her madcap family, furry astronomy assistants and the adventures that await them.

Published on 2 Oct. 2012 by MuffinsMan

3.0 out of 5 stars Short, sweet but ultimately flawed
Published 8 months ago by Kim Dyer

5.0 out of 5 stars Starry Night, 2 Oct. 2012
This review is from: The Lady Astronomer (Kindle Edition)
The Lady Astronomer is a highly enjoyable book with a neat premise.

The story is great, as is the writing. I particularly enjoyed the exploits of Leibniz the lemur. This is a light-hearted adventure of a read with dark twists and is eminently readable by the most reluctant of readers and worthy of bookworms.

I can highly recommend The Lady Astronomer to adults and older children (I'd say tweenies and up) and look forward to more from this author. A very innovative and original novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stellar Story, 2 Oct. 2012
This review is from: The Lady Astronomer (Kindle Edition)
This is a stellar romp through Georgian Astronomy - with a difference.

The Lady Astronomer has a strong story behind it, funny, sad at times, with twists and turns that you can't anticipate. An enjoyable journey loosely based on true events concerning Caroline Herschel, beautifully written with a great cast of characters this is definitely not your average historical novel.

Leibniz the lemur was portrayed really well, as was the perpetually bonkers King George.

Highly recommended for anyone looking for something a little different. For their older children or themselves!

5.0 out of 5 stars An enchanting read for adults & children, 1 Oct. 2012
This review is from: The Lady Astronomer (Kindle Edition)
The Lady Astronomer is one of those books I suspect parents will buy for their children and read themselves because it's so absorbing and rekindles memories of the fairytales our parents read to us when we were children.

A delightful read, The Lady Astronomer transports the reader into the life of Lucretia The Astronomer and her unusual family of a Lemur called Leibniz, Orion the European eagle owl and her two human brothers Al and Freddie as they head to the English city of Bath by Royal appointment to construct the largest telescope in the land. However, life has is full of surprises and they're not all good - Lucretia finds herself held hostage at one point.

The dialogue rolls along at a cracking pace and it's as though you're listening in on a conversation and not reading dialogue.

The highlight for me was the letter they wrote to the King in which they referred to him as 'Your maj.' That had me hooting with laughter.

The other thing I really liked about this book is that the main character is a strong woman in a traditionally male dominated career. Its important young girls and women have strong role models to inspire them to achieve and break down the barriers that still exist. It's also important that young boys also see that girls can do anything and be anything. That's why we need more books like this one and more characters like Lucretia.

If you want to discover if Lucretia and friends get the happy ending they deserve, you'll need to read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review, 7 Mar. 2014
This review is from: The Lady Astronomer (Paperback)
I immediately fell in love with this book. It was so cleverly written! The beginning especially. I did not expect it to start that way. The storyline is absolutely wonderful, and again, well played out.

I liked the era that this book was written into. It isn’t language that we typically use every day. Although, I am from Canada, and we don’t talk like that. Maybe in another part of the world they do? Either or, I really did enjoy the change in language.

There was a moment that I was very emotional. Katy sure had a way to show wickedness and make you feel what others felt. I may have even shed a few tears. But you have to read to find out what it was I was overwhelmed by!

There were many amazing moments that made a good impression. I will definitely be re-reading this book!

Another thing I noticed was the Snow White and The Seven Dwarves reference. I thought it was cute and I always love little twists like that in stories.

The ending was just perfect. I don`t think that there could have been a better end to this wonderfully written story.

*The only thing that I did not really like about this book was that it had tons of pauses in the story. Yes, the story goes on for a long time, but I feel like a lot was skipped. But other than that, the book was great! I give it 5 out of 5 stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars Didn't know what I was expecting, 10 Jun. 2013
This review is from: The Lady Astronomer (Kindle Edition)
I almost didn't buy this book, the blurb seemed a little uninspiring and potentially dull. I'm glad I was wrong There is a wondrous surrealism about this story that appeals to me. If I was going to compare it to anything it would be something like "Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell".

The whole work just exudes quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 6 Oct. 2012
This review is from: The Lady Astronomer (Kindle Edition)
I don't normally leave reviews, but in this case I must make an exception. It is an incredibly well written and finely paced novel that I just could not put it down. The writing, taken in tandem with the evocative artwork of the cover makes me want to see this as an anime. I can only hope that somebody from Production I.G. or Studio Ghibli picks up on this modern classic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perspective, 1 Aug. 2014
Much enjoyed lovely different
Perspective on life diverse in its
Emotions much humour,
Wonderful light read a story I can
Recommend.

3.0 out of 5 stars Short, sweet but ultimately flawed, 11 Jun. 2014
This review is from: The Lady Astronomer (Kindle Edition)
Although the novel had its flaws, I actually did really enjoy reading it. It portrayed 18th Century England in a wonderfully whimsical manner - the steampunk elements giving it the feeling of a fairy story and adding a lot of character. The main character was also a very strong female, being intellectual, witty and brave despite being physically frail and not conventionally attractive.

However, the flaws prevent me from giving this story more that three stars. The plot was slow-burning, running through many disconnected sub-plots before reaching the actual story, and the secondary characters were rather undeveloped. This was not helped by the fact that most of them were only referred to by initial, making it difficult to keep track of who was who. Finally, I'm not really sure who the target audience is as it felt like a middle grade novel but contained a lot of bad language and complex words.

Yet, as I said, the flaws did not prevent me from enjoying the novel. I would recommend it to others and I'll definitely keep an eye out for more by this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars A thoroughly enjoyable steampunk romp!, 20 May 2014
This review is from: The Lady Astronomer (Kindle Edition)
In this steampunk offering for younger readers Katy O'Dowd elegantly mixes technological high jinx with a moral message a la Aesops fables and adds in heaps of fun with friendly animals. With sentences such as "Just discussing the perils of using a lemur for knitting!" This story has something fun for all ages with a heroine determined not to be beaten!

A thoroughly enjoyable steampunk romp!

5.0 out of 5 stars Charming, Whimsical, and Enchanting, 26 Oct. 2013
This review is from: The Lady Astronomer (Kindle Edition)
"The Lady Astronomer" by Katy O'Dowd reminded me of the fairy-tales I used to read as a child, with all the unusual animals and fun plots twists. I loved all the gadgets and clockwork animals, especially the mechanical orchestra.

Lucretia, the main character, is interesting and appealing. She's witty, active, strong, yet feminine, and knows what she wants.

The story moves along at a brisk pace (perfect for kids!), with lots of engaging dialogue and brief yet vivid descriptions.

The idea that no dream is impossible (a great message for anyone, kids and adults!) and the spirit of magic and exploration of "The Lady Astronomer" reminded me of "The Little Prince" by Antoine de St. Exupery who wrote:

"All men have stars, but they are not the same things for different people. For some, who are travelers, the stars are guides. For others they are no more than little lights in the sky. For others, who are scholars, they are problems..."
For Lucretia and her companions (including all the fun clockwork creatures!), stars are all of that, at different times in the book: guides, problems, and lights in the sky. I loved Katy O'Dowd's beautiful writing style, especially when she described the mystery of the night sky and the stars. Just take a look:

"Though stars peppered the skies with diamond dust, their light would no more have illuminated the predator than a candle at one end of a particularly dank, gloomy tunnel."

"...there are as many uncharted islands as there are stars and planets in the skies."

"The air was cold and the sky was completely clear, stars winking and blinking in the blackness."

The book also provides a fun way to look at the British society and royalty. I loved "your maj" as a way to address the king! A wonderfully whimsical, humorous, and fun book.

The Lady Astronomer