4.0 out of 5 stars One of the great voices of the modern era
Published on 17 Oct. 2012 by Ciaran Flynn

3.0 out of 5 stars The Singer
I like the old favourites but am not so keen on the newer material. His voice is beginning to age a little, but is still enjoyable to listen to.
Published on 22 Nov. 2012 by Elizabeth Lake

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the great voices of the modern era, 17 Oct. 2012
Ciaran Flynn (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
There will always be arguments over the track listing as in this song should be there and that song shouldnt. For example there was probably no need for the S&G songs however, on a BBC program last night Art said he picked Scarbourgh fair because he reckons its his best ever vocal. So we can only review the album as it stands today and for me its a pretty good list of songs. Most songs you would expect are there and it looks like they remastered them as the quality is excellent. There are two new songs for the more mature of us, Lena and Long Way Home. I was surprised at Arts use of the F word in Long Way Home only because I wasnt expecting it.

All in all its 34 tracks from throughout Arts vocal career, if you are new to Art & S&G its a terrific album as it covers all bases if you are not its still a nice collection of remastered songs to while the evening away

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent career-spanning collection, 23 Oct. 2012
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
One of the finest singers of ballads of his or any other generation, this compilation is exactly what I expected it to be. Anybody who wants bouncy music to get those toes tapping has to look elsewhere (and I enjoy such music too), but when it comes to mellow music, Art Garfunkel is in his element.

Some people are disappointed with this collection, either because it includes tracks that Art recorded with Paul Simon, or because of other songs that they think should be here but aren't. Personally, I am very happy with the track selection. Art apparently chose both the tracks and the running order, so I guess he had his reasons for omitting tracks that some fans wanted to be here. He also wrote notes in which he says what each chosen song means to him. I also think that while a single CD focusing on Art's solo music is fair enough, a double CD works better with at least some of the songs that he recorded with Paul Simon. All the tracks that most fans would want are here. Minor hits are always a topic for debate. Some minor hits can nevertheless be important in an artist's career, but most aren't. As such, if Art felt that there are tracks that he preferred, I'm happy with that. It's not described as a greatest hits collection.

After splitting with Paul Simon, finding great songs to record wasn't quite so easy, although he found some good songs, most notably Bright eyes. If he was ever short of original material, there was never any shortage of songs that he could cover, and there are a fair number of those here, from the traditional Barbara Allen through I only have eyes for you (originally from the thirties, and revived in the fifties by the Flamingos) and other great songs of the forties and fifties to covers of songs that were contemporary.

So, judging this for what is here, it's great to have his solo classics such as Bright eyes and I only have eyes for you (both of them number one hits in Britain) as well as Simon and Garfunkel classics including, of course, Bridge over troubled water. Definitely no complaints from me.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful album, 18 Oct. 2012
I have just got this album and its great! A good mix of familiar songs and some I hadn't heard before! I like Art Garfunkel's
songs- they inspire me,and make me happy listening to them! I am very happy with this new album,and think it was well put together!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Velvet - Amazing!!!!, 24 Oct. 2012
A Brilliant Retrospective of a very under rated singer.
Although he is one half of the iconic duo with Paul Simon he had the better voice by far although it was Paul Simon that wrote many of the Songs.
Some of the Simon and Garfunkel classics are here but nothing will ever top Bridge Over Troubled Water which even though was written by Paul Simon, it was Art Garfunkel's excellent voice that made it his own which ultimately led to Paul Simon being frustrated and called time on the duo as the song reached unprecedented heights.
Bright Eyes which was a UK no 1 and Breakaway are superb but although Paul Simon who is also credited on the album is the Genius and has a good voice it is Art Garfunkel that adds the Pure Velvet.
Amazing and a Must Buy!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A WORTHY COMPILATION...AT LAST!, 25 Oct. 2012
HAYLING BOOK & MUSIC VENUE (follow us on Face... (26 Rails Lane Hayling Island) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
There have been numerous Art Garfunkel compilations out for many years, but nothing as good or as comprehensive as this.

The album takes us on a glorious and winding path through his career, from the magnificient sounds of Simon and Garfunkel, through his very best solo work, pretty much up until the present day.

As well as his best solo and work and recordings with Paul Simon, we have some recordings with James Taylor, which are well worth a listen.

Art Garfunkel has one of the most beautiful voices of our times and this album serves as a perfect showcase for a man whose work needs to be treasured and enjoyed.

Introduce this to the next generation of listeners...there is nothing else quite like it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Singer, 6 Nov. 2012
I always thought I was a Paul Simon fan but now I'm beginning to wonder! This double CD is a fantastic collection of 34 beautiful timeless songs, including old favourites and a couple of new songs too. Don't hesitate - it is more than worth the money!

3.0 out of 5 stars The Singer, 22 Nov. 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 8 Jun. 2014
I have been adding to my back catalogue and this was a CD I always meant to buy - it did not disappoint. SUPERB !!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Relaxing music!, 9 Jan. 2014
This review is from: The Singer (MP3 Download)
A great album for Simon and Garfunkel fans. Very chilled out music. I downloaded the mp3 version - great value

5.0 out of 5 stars what a voice and beautiful songs. Been listening to this guy since the ..., 26 Nov. 2013
A. A. Robertson "Alan Robertson" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
A legend, what a voice and beautiful songs. Been listening to this guy since the mid 60s and he still has the gift and seems to get better. Music i grew up to and it never seems to age.

The Singer