5.0 out of 5 stars A much more natural way of bringing up your child, 3 Jun. 2008
With Supernanny telling you to put your kid on the naughty step and the instant effects of telling your child that if he doesn't do this, he'll won't get dessert/a story tonight/lots of christmas presents, it's easy to go with the behavourists and teach children that bad behaviour=punishment/loss of goodies. If you ever thought this didn't feel quite right, you'll find this book makes perfect sense. Campbell's argument is that when your child is misbehaving, it's not because he is being evil. There is a reason and the best thing you can do is to help him through his problem/bad patch. For example, he may be angry but doesn't yet know how to express this in a mature way. By oppressing his inappropriate behaviour, you push the anger deep inside. And, says Campbell, it will come out in later years expressing itself in ugly ways.

I rate this book very highly. I believe this book takes a long term view at how to raise children into mature adults; it is not about how to make them behave today.

Ross Campbell is a God respecting man and for those who are not (like myself) may find his references to the Bible somewhat off-putting, but personally I find his philosophy on raising children so strong, the occasional religious comments do not detract from his message.

4.0 out of 5 stars Compassionate and Helpful, 12 Mar. 2009
A highly readable book, full of good ideas of how to walk that sometimes almost impossible path of parenthood. Lots of straightforward tips, as simple as making eye contact with a child, which any parent can do and when put into practice make an enormous difference to the daily struggle -maybe even turn it all into something a heck of a lot more fun to live through.

Only minor criticism .... when an 'expert' such as Campbell points out the obvious it's just so so damning of all the lost years. Not just the past, the times now when I'm just too tired/fed up/human and forget! He doesn't intend to come across that way though, he's caring and compassionate towards the parent as well as the child(ren), and I found his ideas make a difference in a relatively short time period.

5.0 out of 5 stars Help when I needed it most!, 28 Jan. 2003
Mrs. C. Davies-Topping "tobytramengine" (Shropshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I was hooked as I learnt new ways in which to express my love for my children even when I didn't like them very much. I love my children dearly, as I am sure you do but feared that when I shouted at them or disciplined them that they would feel unloved. This wonderful book is a useful tool for any parent. Go on give it a go, I promise you it is worth it's weight in gold!

5.0 out of 5 stars How to really love your child., 2 July 2014
Arrived promptly. This was recommended by a friend, It talks about the necessity for plenty of eye contact with your young child in order to bond and love them, amongst other methods. which I found very practical especially with the temptation of spending more time having eye contact with some electronic device, phone etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book! One of the Best!, 25 Sept. 2008
T. Papaioannou "Love to Review" (Brighton, UK) - See all my reviews
A very good Christian parenting book. Read it in combination with a book such as Child Training Tips: What I Wish I Knew When My Children Were Young for a good balance between love and discipline.

How to Really Love Your Child