5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Release As Ever
Published 22 months ago by Bubo

3.0 out of 5 stars 2nd Law gets 2nd place
I like the album but it has not blown me away as all other Muse albums has done and two tracks are very reminise of earlier records by other artists.
Published 15 months ago by Carol Simmons

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Release As Ever, 2 Oct 2012
This review is from: The 2nd Law [Explicit] (MP3 Download)
It might take a few listens but sooner rather than later the awesome power of this album will win you over. I listen to classic and modern Rock, classical piano (I've noticed that Muse like to reference Chopin on this - track no.4, Prelude - and their previous album The Resistance) and film scores (Hanz Zimmer first and foremost) and Muse combine all three and more into a fabulicious concoction of verve, rebellion and almighty rock tunes.

Inspirations are varied; the oft-cited Queen is present but also Bowie (in Madness and Panic Station)and John Barry (in the opening track, Supremacy, which is openly Bondesque) and other artists as well no doubt. Muse sure as hell know their stuff.

Stand outs for me are many but I will cite Supremacy, Madness, Survival, Follow Me, Explorers and the last track, Isolated System, which is one of the best productions Muse have ever accomplished in my opinion, and that is saying a lot, all the more so that it works even without Bellamy's penetrating voice.

The duff tracks I would say are the base player's tracks on fighting alcoholism, Save Me and Liquid State, which, while not outright bad, are overshadowed by the other songs and the first 2nd Law "dub step" track, Unsustainable, is also on the weak side.

I'd say this was an 8.5 out of 10, taking into account the weaker tracks, but is certainly more than four stars, hence the five stars.

In conclusion: Muse Rock

5.0 out of 5 stars Among my best ever albums, 13 July 2013
This review is from: The 2nd Law [Digipack] (Audio CD)
As I've mentioned before, a measure of how good an album is is how long it survives amongst the six I have playing on a loop in my car. I've had this one playing since it's October 1012 release. It's still in there! Definitely a record (excuse the pun). Muse have always sounded like other bands, this is no critisism, tracks on this one remind me of Monty Norman, Queen, Radiohead & Mike Oldfield. The title track should be useful for anyone studying physics, despite the insertion of an ecomessage into the second law of thermodynamics. I can't imagine anyone who has liked Muse in the past not giving this 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Muse utterly bonkers which is why we love them, 10 Oct 2012
This review is from: The 2nd Law [Digipack] (Audio CD)
While there are no standout commercial tracks as on The Resistance, on balance this is a better album. Its great to see a British rock band that are as utterly crazy as Queen were, no-one could ever replace Mercury as a front man, but we need bands to push the envelope and with all the auto-tuned commercial rubbish being produced this days Muse are a beacon of talent, musicians who can play and sing and put on a great live show. Now can't wait for the next album!

5.0 out of 5 stars THE BEST YET, 18 Dec 2013
Mr. R. A. Jenkins (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The 2nd Law [Digipack] (Audio CD)
Anyone who even like's Muse will love this CD. The music is brilliant, the trio Matt, Chris & Dom are true artists of the highest degree. There are short lingering guitar breaks, excellent vocals both lead and backing, superb bass rhythm's and the drum/percussion work is 2nd to none.

I have several Muse CD's and this is the best so far. It raises the standard of this Brit rock group to pure excellence.

Pro's: No duff tracks and musically brilliant.
Con's: Not enough guitar work.

Come on chaps make an old rocker very happy use your musical and instrument skills to make an album that really rocks. Muse are close with this album but I am sure they could make the next one even better. Watch out Amazon because 5 stars might not be enough on the next Muse outing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seriously good, 11 Dec 2013
This review is from: The 2nd Law [Digipack] (Audio CD)
Borrowed it from a friend. Bought it. Listened non-stop for two weeks. Great to hear some new things coming from Muse and I took geeky pleasure in track 12!

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 12 Sep 2013
This review is from: The 2nd Law (Audio CD)
first class albumn i just love all muse stuff , theres nothing on this album that can be wrong , just first class music

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, 27 Jun 2013
This review is from: The 2nd Law (Audio CD)
What can I say about this album! All their songs are just perfect!!! I really love the way Matt used his baby's ultrasound sound to "dress" two of his songs "The 2nd law" and "Follow me" .. but after all, it's Matt Bellamy we're talking about!

5.0 out of 5 stars A new direction?, 12 Oct 2012
Amicie (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The 2nd Law (Audio CD)
This seems to be a bit of marmite album - though I'm glad to see that the 5* votes are starting to pile up. I love everything Muse have ever done; their best work is sublime. My own feeling about this album is that maybe the band have grown up a bit, there's less of the angst-y teenager, more reflective adult in the lyrics. I strongly disagree with reviewers who say they've sold out. This is Muse moving on, and moving on in a very interesting direction. I've listened to the album twice now. Even on my first listen I felt that this was probably the best thing I've heard this year. On second listen I was starting to get very excited indeed - this is complex, beautiful music. I feel that this album improves as it goes along - the first tracks are good but the middle section is amazing. I suspect I will be listening to this - and hearing new things within the music - for a very long time.

3.0 out of 5 stars 2nd Law gets 2nd place, 9 April 2013
Carol Simmons (Canary Wharf) - See all my reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars They can do better, 8 Mar 2013
This review is from: The 2nd Law (Audio CD)
And that's it, really, not unpleasant to listen to, and occasional flashes of their best sounds and concepts, but a bit of a drop from their ealier albums.