5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Release As Ever
Published on 2 Oct 2012 by Bubo

3.0 out of 5 stars 2nd Law gets 2nd place
I like the album but it has not blown me away as all other Muse albums has done and two tracks are very reminise of earlier records by other artists.
Published 20 months ago by Carol Simmons

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Release As Ever, 2 Oct 2012
This review is from: The 2nd Law [Explicit] (MP3 Download)
It might take a few listens but sooner rather than later the awesome power of this album will win you over. I listen to classic and modern Rock, classical piano (I've noticed that Muse like to reference Chopin on this - track no.4, Prelude - and their previous album The Resistance) and film scores (Hanz Zimmer first and foremost) and Muse combine all three and more into a fabulicious concoction of verve, rebellion and almighty rock tunes.

Inspirations are varied; the oft-cited Queen is present but also Bowie (in Madness and Panic Station)and John Barry (in the opening track, Supremacy, which is openly Bondesque) and other artists as well no doubt. Muse sure as hell know their stuff.

Stand outs for me are many but I will cite Supremacy, Madness, Survival, Follow Me, Explorers and the last track, Isolated System, which is one of the best productions Muse have ever accomplished in my opinion, and that is saying a lot, all the more so that it works even without Bellamy's penetrating voice.

The duff tracks I would say are the base player's tracks on fighting alcoholism, Save Me and Liquid State, which, while not outright bad, are overshadowed by the other songs and the first 2nd Law "dub step" track, Unsustainable, is also on the weak side.

I'd say this was an 8.5 out of 10, taking into account the weaker tracks, but is certainly more than four stars, hence the five stars.

In conclusion: Muse Rock

5.0 out of 5 stars Among my best ever albums, 13 July 2013
This review is from: The 2nd Law [Digipack] (Audio CD)
As I've mentioned before, a measure of how good an album is is how long it survives amongst the six I have playing on a loop in my car. I've had this one playing since it's October 1012 release. It's still in there! Definitely a record (excuse the pun). Muse have always sounded like other bands, this is no critisism, tracks on this one remind me of Monty Norman, Queen, Radiohead & Mike Oldfield. The title track should be useful for anyone studying physics, despite the insertion of an ecomessage into the second law of thermodynamics. I can't imagine anyone who has liked Muse in the past not giving this 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seriously good, 11 Dec 2013
This review is from: The 2nd Law [Digipack] (Audio CD)
Borrowed it from a friend. Bought it. Listened non-stop for two weeks. Great to hear some new things coming from Muse and I took geeky pleasure in track 12!

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 12 Sep 2013
This review is from: The 2nd Law (Audio CD)
first class albumn i just love all muse stuff , theres nothing on this album that can be wrong , just first class music

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, 27 Jun 2013
This review is from: The 2nd Law (Audio CD)
What can I say about this album! All their songs are just perfect!!! I really love the way Matt used his baby's ultrasound sound to "dress" two of his songs "The 2nd law" and "Follow me" .. but after all, it's Matt Bellamy we're talking about!

5.0 out of 5 stars A new direction?, 12 Oct 2012
Amicie (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The 2nd Law (Audio CD)
This seems to be a bit of marmite album - though I'm glad to see that the 5* votes are starting to pile up. I love everything Muse have ever done; their best work is sublime. My own feeling about this album is that maybe the band have grown up a bit, there's less of the angst-y teenager, more reflective adult in the lyrics. I strongly disagree with reviewers who say they've sold out. This is Muse moving on, and moving on in a very interesting direction. I've listened to the album twice now. Even on my first listen I felt that this was probably the best thing I've heard this year. On second listen I was starting to get very excited indeed - this is complex, beautiful music. I feel that this album improves as it goes along - the first tracks are good but the middle section is amazing. I suspect I will be listening to this - and hearing new things within the music - for a very long time.

3.0 out of 5 stars 2nd Law gets 2nd place, 9 April 2013
Carol Simmons (Canary Wharf) - See all my reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars They can do better, 8 Mar 2013
This review is from: The 2nd Law (Audio CD)
And that's it, really, not unpleasant to listen to, and occasional flashes of their best sounds and concepts, but a bit of a drop from their ealier albums.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute Belter. Wel worth a purchase and I am not a rabid fan!!, 1 Feb 2013
This review is from: The 2nd Law [Digipack] (Audio CD)
I am not going to repeat all of the previous reviewers other than to say that with this MUSE are at the top of their game.

Am I the only one to think they sound more and more like Queen!?1! Which is no bad thing though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Anthemic crowd-pleaser ready for another tour!, 22 Jan 2013
Darren Collis - See all my reviews
This review is from: The 2nd Law [Digipack] (Audio CD)
Their latest album has 5 big anthems varying from an epic James Bond-style opener, extremely infectious beautifully-written 'Madness', Queen-Style stadium dance track 'Panic Station', Olympic anthem 'Survival' and the very U2 'Big Freeze'.
Along with these, the bass player gives a 'Pendulum' style vocal to 'Liquid State'.
There are some very serious and personal lyrics, but rather than feeling depressing the album has an energising effect that will certainly work well live at their stadium shows in Summer 2013.
Definitely worth buying the whole album, but if downloading individual tracks 'Save Me', 'Liquid State' and 'Animals' are probably the weakest tracks.
The last 2 tacks - 2nd Law work as a stand-alone piece, but need the rest of the album to put into perspective.
Part One has 'Jean Michel Jarre - Revolutions' style robotic vocal and noisy 'transformers-style' samples that you either like or hate.
Prt 2 is a beautiful digi-classical piece reminiscent of Mike Oldfield's 'tubular bells' - again with samples, it is 'like it or hate it' territory.
Not for everybody, but if you don't like 'Madness' - there is something seriously wrong with you!