5.0 out of 5 stars Among my best ever albums
Published 19 months ago by albol

3.0 out of 5 stars 2nd Law gets 2nd place
I like the album but it has not blown me away as all other Muse albums has done and two tracks are very reminise of earlier records by other artists.
Published 23 months ago by Carol Simmons

5.0 out of 5 stars Among my best ever albums, 13 July 2013
This review is from: The 2nd Law [Digipack] (Audio CD)
As I've mentioned before, a measure of how good an album is is how long it survives amongst the six I have playing on a loop in my car. I've had this one playing since it's October 1012 release. It's still in there! Definitely a record (excuse the pun). Muse have always sounded like other bands, this is no critisism, tracks on this one remind me of Monty Norman, Queen, Radiohead & Mike Oldfield. The title track should be useful for anyone studying physics, despite the insertion of an ecomessage into the second law of thermodynamics. I can't imagine anyone who has liked Muse in the past not giving this 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Release As Ever, 2 Oct. 2012
This review is from: The 2nd Law [Explicit] (MP3 Download)
It might take a few listens but sooner rather than later the awesome power of this album will win you over. I listen to classic and modern Rock, classical piano (I've noticed that Muse like to reference Chopin on this - track no.4, Prelude - and their previous album The Resistance) and film scores (Hanz Zimmer first and foremost) and Muse combine all three and more into a fabulicious concoction of verve, rebellion and almighty rock tunes.

Inspirations are varied; the oft-cited Queen is present but also Bowie (in Madness and Panic Station)and John Barry (in the opening track, Supremacy, which is openly Bondesque) and other artists as well no doubt. Muse sure as hell know their stuff.

Stand outs for me are many but I will cite Supremacy, Madness, Survival, Follow Me, Explorers and the last track, Isolated System, which is one of the best productions Muse have ever accomplished in my opinion, and that is saying a lot, all the more so that it works even without Bellamy's penetrating voice.

The duff tracks I would say are the base player's tracks on fighting alcoholism, Save Me and Liquid State, which, while not outright bad, are overshadowed by the other songs and the first 2nd Law "dub step" track, Unsustainable, is also on the weak side.

I'd say this was an 8.5 out of 10, taking into account the weaker tracks, but is certainly more than four stars, hence the five stars.

In conclusion: Muse Rock

4.0 out of 5 stars A solid Muse album which could've been a classic if the dubstep was removed., 24 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The 2nd Law [Digipack] (Audio CD)
With their latest studio release, Muse have once again utilised various touches to their traditional thunderous prog/space rock sound, with elements of funk, synthpop and even dubstep. Experimenting has never been new to Muse who had previously explored symphonic music on their 2009 release The Resistance as well as electrorock on Black Holes and Revelations though some do consider this foray a step too far. Dubstep is a very heavily derided music genre which many slate as simply noise and many rock bands have experimented with it to dismal results like Korn on Path of Totality. Whilst the dubstep elements on The 2nd Law do keep the album from being as classic as Origin of Symmetry or Absolution, the album on the whole remains an excellent addition to Muse's catalogue. Despite negative reactions from fans, I on the whole enjoyed The 2nd Law very much and is completely worth checking out or even listening to if you're a Muse fan.

Initially, I avoided this album completely when I heard the band were using dubstep on it and I only listened to the singles just to get an idea of what it sounded like. The good news about The 2nd Law is that the album is not predominantly dubstep and either keeps to the same traditional Muse sound or experiments with music that wasn't really alien to them. This is overall a very underrated album that whilst nowhere near the band's best is still a solid record.

'Supremacy' opens up the album very well with bombastic guitar work and a John Barry-esque orchestra in the background. Many have compared this song to sounding like a James Bond theme song and it really does spring to mind when listening to the song. It's over the top and thunderous which is typical of a Muse song and it's awesome. 'Madness' recalls 'Undisclosed Desires' from The Resistance a lot with its more synth dominated sound. A lot of fans hate this song but I love it. It's got a cool haunting sound with 'mad' being repeated by electronic voices throughout the song and Matt Bellamy providing more soothing vocals. It resonates very well and is another standout on the album. 'Panic Station' was the last single to be released from the album and has more of a funk sound to it that sounds a lot like Red Hot Chili Peppers. It rips off a lot of songs from 'Another Bites the Dust' to 'Thriller' to 'Suicide Blonde' yet I still love the hell out of it. It's simply the band having fun with themselves instead of being profound as they normally are. As a side note, it's the first Muse song to have swearing in it.

'Survival' may catch people's attention as it was used as the theme song for the London Olympics. I can see why it was as it has that operatic bravado to it that can be used as motivation. Unfortunately, it also has the problem of being recalled for that alone and may end up being recognised as a novelty song. As a song, it's not bad but not excellent either. You can definitely tell that Matt is going a bit overboard with the Freddie Mercury vocals on it which does drag it a bit. 'Follow Me' is the one which will throw people off for sure with its dubstep beats. The song starts out well enough sounding like another usual Muse song until the breakdown starts. Overall, not a particularly good song. 'Explorers' is another favourite of mine from the album as exemplified by its simple synthesisers and Matt's emotional vocals. Bassist Chris Wolstenholme took over songwriting and vocal duties on 'Save Me' and 'Liquid State'. It took me a while to get into both songs as I wasn't used to hearing anyone other than Matt singing however both are excellent tracks that prove Chris to be an essential member of the group. 'Unsustainable' unfortunately returns the group the dubstep sound from 'Follow Me' whilst 'Isolated System' is a cool way to close off the album as a symphonic instrumental with audio clips spliced in.

My favourite songs off of The 2nd Law: 'Supremacy', 'Madness',' Panic Station', 'Animals', 'Explorers' and 'Liquid State'.

The 2nd Law is nowhere near Muse's best album and its attempts at experimentation are hit and miss. However, when the album works, it really does work and many of the songs are some of the strongest they have written. You'd have to not be a fan of the band to truly hate this album whilst fans would either love or simply like this or respectively dismiss it. For me, I was impressed by it for the most part and I preferred it to The Resistance which was a generally hit and miss album. The band have also announced recently that their next album would be more in the same vein as Origin or Absolution which is excellent news. For now though, I'm happy with what they have given us.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seriously good, 11 Dec. 2013
This review is from: The 2nd Law [Digipack] (Audio CD)
Borrowed it from a friend. Bought it. Listened non-stop for two weeks. Great to hear some new things coming from Muse and I took geeky pleasure in track 12!

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 12 Sept. 2013
This review is from: The 2nd Law (Audio CD)
first class albumn i just love all muse stuff , theres nothing on this album that can be wrong , just first class music

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, 27 Jun. 2013
This review is from: The 2nd Law (Audio CD)
What can I say about this album! All their songs are just perfect!!! I really love the way Matt used his baby's ultrasound sound to "dress" two of his songs "The 2nd law" and "Follow me" .. but after all, it's Matt Bellamy we're talking about!

5.0 out of 5 stars A new direction?, 12 Oct. 2012
Amicie (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The 2nd Law (Audio CD)
This seems to be a bit of marmite album - though I'm glad to see that the 5* votes are starting to pile up. I love everything Muse have ever done; their best work is sublime. My own feeling about this album is that maybe the band have grown up a bit, there's less of the angst-y teenager, more reflective adult in the lyrics. I strongly disagree with reviewers who say they've sold out. This is Muse moving on, and moving on in a very interesting direction. I've listened to the album twice now. Even on my first listen I felt that this was probably the best thing I've heard this year. On second listen I was starting to get very excited indeed - this is complex, beautiful music. I feel that this album improves as it goes along - the first tracks are good but the middle section is amazing. I suspect I will be listening to this - and hearing new things within the music - for a very long time.

3.0 out of 5 stars 2nd Law gets 2nd place, 9 April 2013
Carol Simmons (Canary Wharf) - See all my reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars They can do better, 8 Mar. 2013
This review is from: The 2nd Law (Audio CD)
And that's it, really, not unpleasant to listen to, and occasional flashes of their best sounds and concepts, but a bit of a drop from their ealier albums.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute Belter. Wel worth a purchase and I am not a rabid fan!!, 1 Feb. 2013
This review is from: The 2nd Law [Digipack] (Audio CD)
I am not going to repeat all of the previous reviewers other than to say that with this MUSE are at the top of their game.

Am I the only one to think they sound more and more like Queen!?1! Which is no bad thing though.