Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£8.99

on 22 April 2013
If I'm honest I'm really not the kind of person who listens to rap...ever. However, after hearing Thrift Shop and really liking it, funny, catchy etc. I wondered what else the two had done. My friend showed me and I instantly found it very interesting. There is something slightly unique, I think anyway, about this album; a breath of fresh air. The lyrics are clever and engaging, the music is often soulful and quite relaxing actually, not like any other rap I'd heard before (although I'm sure I've only heard a small minority of rappers so I'm not saying there aren't others like that!) Those artists who feature in this album are great. Their vocals help back up Macklemore's rapping by providing refreshing breaks from the rap. The song "Same Love" was just not what I was expecting, but really good and a supportive nod from Macklemore to Gay rights, you can't fault that. A really good album overall, buy it and you won't regret it.
on 7 March 2013
I loved this album, great lyrics, Amazing beats and fantastic tunes. Ryan Lewis makes some amazing music and Macklemore's voice gels so well with it. "Can't hold us" makes me want to fly and "Gold" puts me in a good mood no matter what's happening. I would recommend this album in a heart beat! It's not just for the young'uns either ........ I'm pushing 40!!!
on 4 August 2013
Unfortunately hip hop with something to say is not the norm in popular music today. Thank you macklemore a thought provoking album with clever lyrics and big bold sharp beats. Cheers lads.
on 12 February 2013
I rarely write reviews unless I desperately wanna share something good, and this album definitely should be shared!It isn't the sort of album that I thought I would enjoy! A friend said it was really good, but I wasn't too fussed, so just thought I would listen to it on Spotify as background music while doing some work. Then started to pay attention because there were some songs that really stood out. The next day I decided to listen to it properly and was really impressed! Now I've bought it, I actually can't get enough!

My favourite tracks are 'Thin Line', 'Gold', 'Jimmy Iovine' is quite a funny one, 'Starting Over' has some really meaningful lyrics about overcoming drug/alcohol dependency and 'Cowboy Boots' adds a different sound for the last track. But it's one of those albums that you can listen to the whole way through without skipping any tracks..I really enjoy them all!

A definite 10/10 for me, I really hope Macklemore and Ryan Lewis blow up in 2013!
on 4 December 2013
I'm not usually a rap fan, but this album's got me hooked. Somehow fresh - something different from the usual subjects associated with rap. Inspiring how it's all self-produced and self-labelled, and the song 'Same Love' is, in my opinion, one of the best tracks of recent years out of ANY genre. Far from the stereotypical homophobic trends of modern rap, this song is so thought-provoking it could turn the biggest homophobes into rainbow-flag-waving protesters.

The more you listen to the album, the more you realise how different Thrift Shop is from the rest. No doubt the chart-topping hit is how we all got to find out about this album, but you'll learn to love the rest of the album more.

It was playing on loop in my car for months, and managed to convince ten or so friends to buy the album too. Many of them, like me, were sceptical at first, but my persistence won them over. I now feel solely responsible for Macklemore and Ryan's success, which they no doubt deserve.

Buy it - you won't regret it.
on 23 September 2013
Amazing songwriting, finally some good subjects to talk about, beautiful and stunning original beats. Coming from the independent industry, this album has topped everyone else in the modern rap world, imo. An album that deserves repeated listenings, and a good study of the lyrics. Truly inspiring and moving, and some of the best beats I've heard.
on 18 March 2013
***** This is most definately a 5 star album! From start to finish the tunes keep coming. Track 2, 'Can't Hold Us,' is an unbelievably anthemic tune. So much soul from youngster Ray Dalton and amazingly tricky lyrics by Macklemore really do make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. My advice on how to listen to this song initially would be to watch the live performance by them on American radio station KEXP, and loud! Just YouTube it and play it through BIG speakers! The energy Macklemore has in this video is astounding. You cannot fail to like it. Track 3, the awesome 'Thrift Shop.' Say no more! Very different sound to 'Can't Hold Us.' Track 4... Great. Track 5, 'Same Love'... One of the most moving songs you will ever wish to hear. Refreshingly this is a song on a Hip-Hop album about gay rights, whoever would have thought! If you like Hip-Hop at its best, uplifting, clever, quick, at times even moving, then this is the album for you!!! *****
on 15 March 2013
With so much great music out there I am struggling to remember the last time I listened to one album so many times over, but this has been playing regularly in my ears since the back end of 2012 and I am still loving it. Hiphop/rap isn't my favourite genre, I find a lot of it uninteresting/dull/poorly produced, this for me is how its done right! Macklemore and Ryan Lewis have put together a clever, interesting, witty, varied and wholly appealing album, its probably the best album of 2012, for me. The only negative I could say, and its a small one, is that the album is probably a couple of tracks too long, I wouldn't go so far as to call it filler, but there are a couple of weaker tracks whose exclusion would have made the album tighter. The fact that at the time of writing this review there are 20 existing reviews and every single one of them is 5 stars speaks volumes. Try it, enjoy it, love it!
on 27 March 2013
I only found out about Macklemore when I saw the music video of "Thrift Shop". I completely fell in love with the song, and I got curious as to see if he had made any other songs. I realised that he has been around for a few years, and again, fell in love with other songs of his...namely "And We Danced" and "The Town". I'm not a fan of POP music - mainly as everyone copies eachother, using the same beat, repeating the same verse over and over etc. However, the POP style songs Macklemore has on this album and in fact that he's made before are all caricatures and are so enjoyable!! I can not recommend this album highly enough for people who love songs that have a real meaning. Macklemore points out everything that is wrong with this world, but in a way that doesn't make you want to kill yourself. It makes you want to change. Please buy this album, this guy needs as much supprt as possible, and I truely hope he does well!!
on 16 July 2013
I rarely ever purchase an album because I know that I will hardly ever listen to all the songs, meaning it's not the best ever value for me, but Macklemore & Ryan Lewis have certainly proved this album is an exception.

Ryan Lewis, who works primarily on constructing the beats, does a superb job on all of the tracks which can be seen by the success of "Thrift Shop" and "Can't Hold Us". But this album is more than just the standard "catchy tunes" that you usually find in the Top 40. What I loved the most was Macklemore's lyrics and his ability to story tell brilliantly as he does on "Jimmy Iovine" and "Wing$", showcasing the depth of the album.

For a duo who managed to produce this without a record deal, I find myself already wanting another album!