4.0 out of 5 stars Really Good
If I'm honest I'm really not the kind of person who listens to rap...ever. However, after hearing Thrift Shop and really liking it, funny, catchy etc. I wondered what else the two had done. My friend showed me and I instantly found it very interesting. There is something slightly unique, I think anyway, about this album; a breath of fresh air. The lyrics are clever and...
Published on 22 April 2013 by Marauder

3.0 out of 5 stars The Heist.let down
I really enjoyed the songs that have already been released but that was about it.the other songs from the album are quite average compared to the other albums i own.i feel let down as it took me a while to make the purchase and it just wasn't what I expected.
Published on 27 May 2013 by Karl

‹ Previous | 1 2 316 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking Album, 18 Mar. 2013
This review is from: The Heist (Audio CD)
***** This is most definately a 5 star album! From start to finish the tunes keep coming. Track 2, 'Can't Hold Us,' is an unbelievably anthemic tune. So much soul from youngster Ray Dalton and amazingly tricky lyrics by Macklemore really do make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. My advice on how to listen to this song initially would be to watch the live performance by them on American radio station KEXP, and loud! Just YouTube it and play it through BIG speakers! The energy Macklemore has in this video is astounding. You cannot fail to like it. Track 3, the awesome 'Thrift Shop.' Say no more! Very different sound to 'Can't Hold Us.' Track 4... Great. Track 5, 'Same Love'... One of the most moving songs you will ever wish to hear. Refreshingly this is a song on a Hip-Hop album about gay rights, whoever would have thought! If you like Hip-Hop at its best, uplifting, clever, quick, at times even moving, then this is the album for you!!! *****

5.0 out of 5 stars Rap done right, 15 Mar. 2013
With so much great music out there I am struggling to remember the last time I listened to one album so many times over, but this has been playing regularly in my ears since the back end of 2012 and I am still loving it. Hiphop/rap isn't my favourite genre, I find a lot of it uninteresting/dull/poorly produced, this for me is how its done right! Macklemore and Ryan Lewis have put together a clever, interesting, witty, varied and wholly appealing album, its probably the best album of 2012, for me. The only negative I could say, and its a small one, is that the album is probably a couple of tracks too long, I wouldn't go so far as to call it filler, but there are a couple of weaker tracks whose exclusion would have made the album tighter. The fact that at the time of writing this review there are 20 existing reviews and every single one of them is 5 stars speaks volumes. Try it, enjoy it, love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars An album that has an incredible amount of depth, 16 July 2013
I rarely ever purchase an album because I know that I will hardly ever listen to all the songs, meaning it's not the best ever value for me, but Macklemore & Ryan Lewis have certainly proved this album is an exception.

Ryan Lewis, who works primarily on constructing the beats, does a superb job on all of the tracks which can be seen by the success of "Thrift Shop" and "Can't Hold Us". But this album is more than just the standard "catchy tunes" that you usually find in the Top 40. What I loved the most was Macklemore's lyrics and his ability to story tell brilliantly as he does on "Jimmy Iovine" and "Wing$", showcasing the depth of the album.

For a duo who managed to produce this without a record deal, I find myself already wanting another album!

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING!, 12 April 2013
This review is from: The Heist (Audio CD)
My friend in the States first introduced me to Macklemore back in 2012. There is something fresh and exciting about a rapper who raps about shopping in thrift shops (Thrift Shop), his problem with addiction (Starting Over) and how when he was younger all he wanted was a pair of Nikes (Wing$). To me, Macklemore is the best rapper around. He raps from the heart, and his music, produced by Ryan Lewis, is incredible. This album can make you think, make you feel sad, and some of it just makes you want to get up and dance.
This album is the best purchase I've bought all year. There is something quite special about being able to rap all of Thrift Shop when your friends only know the chorus! If I could say anything, it would be this: buy this album, you won't regret it!

5.0 out of 5 stars BUY IT, 20 Mar. 2013
This review is from: The Heist (Audio CD)
i listened to the whole album online and i couldn't bare to pirate it somewhere off the net,it deserved a purchase and it was well worth it.If possible try and buy the deluxe edition for some more songs!

5.0 out of 5 stars A special record., 18 July 2013
This review is from: The Heist (Audio CD)
it's rare in any type of music, much less hip- hop to hear an album this poignant heartfelt and inspiring. Beyond (the brilliant) thrift shop is a soulful record, Macklemore raps out against, religion, homophobia, racism, consumerism, gang violence, and the music industry as well as his own problems with addiction and about his life as a rapper. There are many different styles throughout the album and many memorable and easy to relate to songs. Ryan Lewis provides a fitting backdrop to macklemore's rap's and throughout guest singers and rappers, add to each song.
hopefully over time this album will get the status it deserves.

5.0 out of 5 stars So Good!!, 7 Mar. 2013
This review is from: The Heist [Explicit] (MP3 Download)
Bougth because loved Thrift Shop. Thealbum is quite defferent with darker/ deeper stuff on it but still brilliant and stil enjoying it months later!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Catchy thought provoking music.., 24 May 2014
This review is from: The Heist (Audio CD)
I'm in my mid 40's and really don't welcome swearing as I find it unnecessary. All said n done, Macklemore and Ryan Lewis have come up with catchy tunes and thought provoking lyrics. The lyrics, I feel are based on experience and give an alternate view on life experienced by people nowadays... Even if you don't catch the lyrics, Macklemore great voice and the catchy rythms will make you press 'repeat'. Great work motivating music too! so really try and ignore the references to his manhood and give it a try.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cannot fault this album at all, 16 May 2013
This review is from: The Heist (Audio CD)
I bought this album based on one song (Same Love). I am now absolutely obsessed with all things Macklemore and Ryan Lewis! Ben's lyrics are thoughtful and thought provoking, but also humorous and clever and it's refreshing to see someone in the hip hop arena that raps with a social conscience. If you love music and want to hear a fresh take on hip hop you should definitely buy this because truthfully, there isn't a bad song on the album. Can't wait to catch these guys live.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best hip hop album in years, 22 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Heist,the (Audio CD)
There is absolutely no faulting this album - highly original lyrically and musically; heartfelt and intelligent; socially conscious and brave - it's genius.

The closest I could capture the sounds of the album is Aim meets Everlast meets Arrested Development meets Grandmaster Flash - doesn't really help? Then buy it! If you are a fan of intelligent hip hop and musical inventiveness with a good melody - you wont be disappointed!

‹ Previous | 1 2 316 | Next ›