on 19 November 2012
I spent a while researching a range of GU10 fit LED lights and haven't been very impressed with the light output from others I have tried. These lights on the other hand are superb both for light output and colour temperature. I have been asking friends of mine if they have noticed any difference in the lighting in my kitchen (where I placed the first couple that I ordered) and no-one has noticed a difference from the conventional GU10s I had there. Just ordered some more for the bedroom!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 10 December 2012
I bought this product with some scepticism! This is now the fourth bulb I have tried to buy as I experiment with replacing our halogen GU10s as they wear out in an effort to reduce the formidable electric bill over the winter. The first bulb was too white and the beam too narrow; second bulb too white and too large (it did not fit in the flush fittings, a surprisingly common problem!); the third bulb too white, too bright and the because the bulb was made up of about 15 leds the light looked weird and lacked focus. This bulb however is absolutely 95% perfect. If you look very closely the bulb is not quite the full warm yellow light of the halogen but you only notice if you really look for it and compare with another bulb, I absolutely recommend this product.
on 8 December 2013
I recently wrote a review on my purchase, in April of this year, of 8 Aurora 240v GU10 6w non dimmable LED lamps and the fact that two of them had failed in the last two days. Somewhat surprisingly, this original review has disappeared off the site. However, I managed to contact the supplier "lights4u" easily enough and received an answer within a couple of hours confirming that they would honour their 2 year guarantee on the product. They were as good as their word and I received, free of charge, 2 replacement bulbs within a couple of days.

This appears to be new(ish) technology and will obviously be prone to the odd failure as confirmed by the various reviews. This obviously can be somewhat irritating, but I have to say that I am more than impressed by the after sales service by Lights4u with their instant replies to emails and their no quibble replacement service.

I give the product 4 stars purely on the failure rate but give lights4u 5 stars for customer service.
on 25 October 2012
I bought one of these to try and I'm very pleased, fits just as a normal GU10 (same size) and the light output really is equal to a 50w halogen the colour is a very small amount whiter, but unless you had both a halogen and this LED fitted in the same room I doubt you would tell.

Overall I think this is a true 50w LED replacement at a great price (£9.99 inc Del) which as long as it last will pay for itself over and over.
on 6 December 2012
I'm really pleased with these bulbs. They are much brighter than the 35w halogen bulbs they replaced, and are a like for like size.

Initially I was concerned as the description on Amazon says '50w' equivalent, yet the packaging they arrive in states 'equivalent to 35w'.

As they are brighter than the bulbs they're replacing this turned out not to be a problem, but I cannot say if they are a true 50w equiv. because we've never used 50w halogens.

Looking forward to saving some pennies. And when the bulbs in our conservatory fail, will definitely be replacing them with these [all being well!].

Update, August 2013: We have just had 2 of the bulbs fail, well within the 2 year guarantee period, so while I was initially very pleased with them I'm now not so happy, especially as they cost just under £10 each. Excellent customer service from Amazon means that I can obtain a refund, but I'm not sure I'll be re-ordering this particular bulb. We're now keeping a close eye on the 2 bulbs that are left!
on 7 December 2012
I recently changed all thirty 50w Halogen GU10s in our kitchen to LEDs which, given the fact that the wife and children are incapable of switching lights off when not required, I am now saving something like £500 per annum in electricity cost alone. However, the downside was that in order to get a similar amount of light as the original halogens, I had to fit 6 watt LEDs which have a slightly longer body than the 50 watt halogen which meant that they protruded a little from the fitting. So what - the saving was worth it and hey, who spends their life looking at the ceiling anyway (prostitutes apart)? Imagine my delight therefore, when I subsequently discovered this latest lamp from Lights4u - the Aurora retro fit, warm white 3000k 50w equivalent 6 watt LED. Not only do these fit perfectly into the GU10 socket just like the original 50w halogens, but the light they give out is almost indistinguishable from the halogens and they 'fire up' instantly with no flicker or delay. Anyone out there want any 6 watt LEDS with the longer body - I've got thirty up for grabs!
on 8 January 2013
I've tried loads of GU10 LED bulbs and these are undoubtedly the best I have used. Having said that I haven't tried the very expensive Philips bulbs (which claim to be a perfect colour match for halogens) as they'll never pay for themselves no matter how good they are. Colour is one of the biggest problems for this kind of light and these produce a white which is just about acceptable. Filament bulbs are usually around 2700K and these are 3000K, so not perfect, but OK, this is miles better than any previous LED bulb I've tried, but they're noticeably cooler in colour (bluer) than halogens. Whatever anyone tells you, these bulbs are not as bright as a normal 50W, but they're not a million miles out. I would guess more like the equivalent of a 40W. However, again, just about acceptable. The biggest issue is the beam spread, these lights just don't spread the beam as wide as a halogen. In a lot of circumstances this doesn't matter, but in some locations in can leave areas at the periphery rather dark. In the end, for a kitchen application I had to mix halogens with the Auroras and whilst this isn't perfect, it is a lot better than anything else I've tried. These are the shape of things to come, in another generation or two, they should be spot on.
on 19 February 2013
I spent a long time researching these energy bulbs, as they are on almost 12 hours per day. We brought the ones that have the black shroud as they appear to have replaced the white or lighter shrouded bulb, which have an identical description. I did not want to be sat in the dark for 30000 hours until i had the opportunity to change them. The original bulds are also a tight fit into out downlighters so i thought they might not fit. We replaced 35 watt bulbs so i though given other reviews i would aim for a 50 watt substitute.

They arrived in two days, and although they are probably slightly more curved at the back than the original bulds they fitted fine. They are not quite the warm colour of the old bulbs, but they are certainly bright. We did buy warm white, so I can only assume the coold white would be clinically white. It is not offensive or migraine inducing.

I'm really pleased with them. They are not exactly identical, but for £10 per bulb they are a decent cost with a decent light. The whole buld is plastic and has a slightly cheap feel, but they do what they say on the tin. The old bulbs are made of glass because they get that hot any flies near them give of the sound of a sizzling tuna on a BBQ.

When other bulbs in less well used areas of the house fail I will replace them and would have no problem in using this brand. They appear to have only one light source and have a diffuser on the front. They don't appear to be made of 28 or 40 seperate LEDS like some similar bulbs and neither do i have any of this type so i can't make a proper comparison.
on 10 April 2013
These 3 bulbs were intended for use in my smallish office - around 11ft x 10ft. However once in the fitting the light was too concentrated, with rather a lot of dark corners. I suspect the beam angle is more like 60 deg. really. What I would call a spotlight.

I've now put a different type of bulb into the office - one of those with a cluster of LED's. It lights up the room quite nicely, but the overall light level is a little low and with a hint of green. What I would call a floodlight. They do work very well in the landing, which has a lower ceiling height than downstairs.

A total of 4 Aurora bulbs are now in our kitchen - 17ft x 13ft. They work beautifully there, lighting up the whole area nicely - and making the old halogen bulbs look a dull and dingy yellow.

As others have mentioned, more consistency, detail and honesty is needed by sellers and manufacturers.

EDIT after about seven months one of the bulbs failed. I'm pleased to report this was replaced without fuss by Lights4u. With a good two year guarantee like this you can't go wrong. Any failures of LED bulbs I've seen seem to occour within the first few months.
on 12 January 2013
Thanks to the many honest reviews on this site I was able to discount many other LED`S and choose this as my replacement to the heavy useage which is the halogen bulbs.

This has the most perfect colour to match the halogen, I placed these in my sons study and he was home from work for at least an hour before I asked him what he thought of the new bulbs.
He just shrugged and said "what bulbs" lol so a result then, no colour difference no loss of light, a perfect fit too and a vast saving for dad.

Of course I cannot comment on the longevity of these LED bulbs but with a 2 year warranty and as 30% of my electricity usage is the halogen bulbs in the house I will now replace all of them as and when I can afford it.

I have seen the white/blue halogens and my wife and son who both work an office said they cannot work or relax in that type of light source.

I will update this review when the first and subsequent bulbs begin to fail.
Once again many thanks to the people who have taken the time to review these LED bulbs so that I can make an informed decision as to my choices.

See one answered question