5.0 out of 5 stars Glorious
What an interesting progam, every bit of music is worth discovering ! Such beautiful music and perfectly sung ! A real gem !
Published on 30 Nov 2012 by D. Maes

3.0 out of 5 stars Advent at Merton CD
Published 23 months ago by Mr. P. F. Harrison

5.0 out of 5 stars Glorious, 30 Nov 2012
D. Maes "BigBoss" (Europe) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Transcendent, 2 Dec 2013
J. L. Sears (Hertfordshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Advent at Merton (Audio CD)
This was given to me and my wife as a Christmas present in 2012. It helps bring you into union with the cosmic living God. We especially liked the Advent Antiphon and I played this to her as she drew her last breath in the hospice in October 2013. It was then played again in church, at her Thanksgiving service.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Experience, 3 Dec 2013
This review is from: Advent at Merton (Audio CD)
The first effect is of a highly atmospheric sound. We feel we are in a very special place. I have never been to Merton, but now I am longing to be there and be part of a service there..

Then there is the music, which is superbly performed throughout. Also the range of the music - all, of course related to the spirit of Advent, but most of it new to me. Just one tune - "Es ist ein Ros entsprungen" - keeps reappearing in different forms giving the whole sequence a most pleasing sense of unity. But it is the originality and excitement that most grips me

I believe that the Merton Choir has only in recent years come to prominence in Oxford, under the inspired leadership of Benjamin Nicholas and Peter Phillips, and they have already created a wonderful Choir.

I shall play this CD every day throughout Advent. It is a magical disc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Singing, 9 Feb 2013
This review is from: Advent at Merton (Audio CD)
This is a relatively new choir but you would not think so from the professional interpretation of the music, the blend of the voices and the beutiful tone produced. An excellent recording and I strongly recommend that you buy it, not just for yourself, but for your friends.

4.0 out of 5 stars New kids on the Oxbridge block, 13 Dec 2012
This review is from: Advent At Merton (MP3 Download)
Merton's choir are a relatively new addition to the top drawer college choirs but seem to have emerged fully formed and ready for action. Aided by Peter Phillips (of Tallis Scholars fame), this is their second CD. The programme largely avoids the usual Advent fare and mixes new commissions and recent works with classic pieces by Byrd and Victoria. The centerpiece is a series of commissions of the Great O antiphons by contemporary composers including Tavener, Dubra and Gabriel Jackson. All are worthy your time, money and listening attention. The revelation is a version of Es ist ein Ros entsprungen by Michael Praetorius sung at glacial speed with stunning control - it's the tune you know but it now feels suspended in space like floating incense. Looking forward to the next recording.

5.0 out of 5 stars College singing at it's best, 15 Mar 2013
This review is from: Advent at Merton (Audio CD)
Well worth buying, and not just for old Mertonians!
Some lovely music, beautifully sung - well worth buying I would have thought

5.0 out of 5 stars Advent at Merton, 1 Feb 2013
David Jaques (england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Advent at Merton (Audio CD)
An excellently produced CD with very good arrangements of old carols and some new beautifully sung - highly recommended to all church musucians

3.0 out of 5 stars Advent at Merton CD, 28 Jan 2013
This review is from: Advent at Merton (Audio CD)
Bit of a disappointment, to be honest. I was persuaded to buy this after hearing Sandström's setting of 'Es ist ein Ros entsprungen' on BBC Radio 3 as part of the pre-Christmas riot of Xmas carol CD sampling. This setting is, I have to say, divine: if I believed in God (which I don't) I think it would certainly confirm me in my faith. Unfortunately, little of the rest of the CD came anywhere near that quality of inspiration. For example, 'Es ist ein Ros..' is really milked for all it's worth. There is also an English version on the CD, that I'm afraid I found rather trite, plus an organ version that I found dire, but then I've never been a fan of organ music. The quality of the choir is, however, consistently very high: the diction is wonderfully clear, the musical verve is very refreshing and there is a great confidence and sparkle overall. I'll just have to find a CD of theirs that has more music on it that I enjoy.

Advent at Merton
Advent at Merton by Choir of Merton College (Audio CD - 2012)