on 13 April 2016
Went for the Sony remote over the cheaper non-branded remote for my A7Rii. You can fire the shutter remotely having switched on the camera's remote control function giving you instant shutter fire, two second delay or, if you set the camera to 'bulb', manually timed shutter firing. Bear in mind, cheaper remotes on the market provide these functions too.

So, what does the Sony remote provide in terms of additional functionality? Well, it allows you to control every aspect of the camera. You can access all the menu/settings and change them at will. You can also start and stop video recording via the 'start/stop' button. You can also remotely control the camera's picture review mode and send pictures to a printer if you have a printer set up for that. It feels well made and is pretty compact.

Is it worth the extra - IMO, yes.
on 29 July 2013
This is a good product and it does what it is meant to do very well. It controls my Alpha 99 for hands-off shooting and video with the one drawback being it has to signal to the camera front where the signal is received. However, I have discovered that it works on a 180 degree plane side to side with the plane running through the front face of the camera. I have even managed to bounce the signal off a wall when I am behind the camera. This depends on the reflectivity of the bounce surface however.
on 3 March 2015
Great little remote for A7. Use it a lot when taking pictures at night with long exposure.
All the buttons and functions on it you need.
on 11 January 2013
I bought this to safely trip the camera shutter with the camera mounted on the front windscreen of my car. Sadly, it doesn't work used in this way. The unit has to face the front of the camera to be effective.

It was not a complete waste however. It's a better alternative than using the self-timer device because you can `choose the moment' that's right when you are in shot. It's also a little better than a cable release in that it allows you to be away from the camera (to adjust lighting or move props etc).

I think this unit has good potential for candid shots of people & animal subjects.

Note: You may need to select the `Shutter fires with lens removed' menu option on the camera (or whatever it's called) in order for this unit to work. It also seems to be `switched on' all the time. Other than the `fire shutter' button, all other controls seem to be reserved for TV viewing selection.
on 1 July 2013
A little bit disappointed. The description says you can review images and control settings, but this isn't true. The only buttons that actually control the camera are the top row - shutter, 2 sec timer and video start/stop. Every other button only works when the camera is connected to a TV. I have never connected a camera to a TV in my life, so for me the added features are wasted money. I was hoping to be able navigate the camera settings to some degree, to make adjustments without having to touch the camera.

I have returned this and ordered a cheapo shutter remote instead.
on 8 May 2013
After reading the reviews of other remotes, i decided to go for the official sony remote and i am happy with the product. I use it with my Sony Nex 5n camera and it works great. It works from any angle and for quit a long distance. I cannot fault it at all. It comes with batteries so you can use it instantly. I havent tried most of the functions yet just the shutter and timer functions and they work great
on 22 June 2016
This does not work with Sony A5000 as advertised. Sony A5000 does not have infrared so will not work with this type of remote. Instead you need one with a cable attaching the remote to the camera.
on 23 March 2014
There are a lot of cheaper copies but I have spent a lot of money on my camera so I thought I would stick with Sony.

The remote control works well very easy to use great for self portraits. Just set your camera to the remote setting you are now up and running.
on 24 April 2013
Does what it says on the tin and takes the pleasure of owning a Sony Nex to the NEXt level! My only question would be why Sony don't include this as standard given that the Nex-7 is a reassuringly expensive camera.
on 3 December 2015
Liked it. Improved my control over my camera shots and great for wild life photography as you can "hide" and shoot without diturbing the wild-life.