on 6 November 2013
***UPDATE***
Well it's now over a year since I purchased this mighty fine DVD-drive. I've been putting it through its paces this past year, and it still works a dream. Some have mentioned and/or complained how noisy it can be... and yes, sometimes it can be noisy, but in my experience, for the most part, it's quite quiet, in fact the last time I burned a disc (usually the noisiest process on most drives), I couldn't hear a thing, nothing, and my computer is set up to run silent, I only knew it was successful when it had finished and tested the disc.

I bought this DVD drive to replace a Samsung one which failed after about a year. As I didn't want to go for another Samsung one, I instead opted for this Lite-On one. I won't lie, the price was a very big factor in the final decision to go for this one over all others. The price is cheap for a reason, it's nothing to do with the drive you get, but instead it's to do with the things you don't get, you don't get a retail box, screws, cables and instructions, and all this keeps cost down. My first impressions of this drive were that the eject action is a lot smoother than the one it replaced, the Samsung one was very sluggish from the very day I bought it. So far this is a good purchase, I just hope it lasts as long as my old IDE Philips one (7 years, and still going).

There are 2 slight differences between the DVD drive pictured and the one I received. The first is the shape of the eject button, on the picture the ends are rounded, but on the one I received they are flat. Second, the light on the one pictured is oval and flush with the face-plate, and on the one I received it's small, circular and recessed into the face-plate. These are merely cosmetic differences and should not change the performance of the drive, but it's worth noting.
I've used this drive for some recent PC builds. As all new drives this is a SATA one.
As others have pointed out this model does not support "smart erase" (which can securely over write discs to prevent data recovery)
That's not a huge loss, as disc media is fairly easy to destroy. If you want that feature and others like disclabel and lightscribe, then LiteOn do slightly more expensive models that support those features

The drive is shorter than some offerings meaning it will fit in most cases without any issues.
General spec is in line with DVD burners 24x is only supported with some media, I rarely burn above 16x anyway

- CD/CD-R/CD-ROM burn/read speeds are 48x
- CD-RW 24x
- DVD+R DL & DVD-R DL burn at 8x speed
- DVD-RAM is 6x
- DVD-ROM reads at 16x max

LiteOn do update the firmware from time to time (on various models), so check their site. I have never needed to update firmware
To date I've not had any probelms with these for my pc builds, they are fairly quiet (the LG's are possibly even quieter) and so far have been reliable with a good variety of media (I tend to use Verbatim discs DVD and CD)

At this price it's not worth pondering too much on DVD burner choices, these drives are cheap as chips nowadays and most of the ones on the market are of decent quality (LG, Samsung etc etc)
Recommended as a general drive, if you want more features then hunt around. For a standard drive this is a good offering
on 13 February 2013
bought this for my sons new gaming pc build, it was a little cheaper than a few others he looked at.
as he is going to buy most of his games on Steam he didn't really need it apart from OS installation.
it was only £12 and does what its made for.
on 6 April 2013
Delivery was prompt - next working day. I connected this to my pc which runs Windows XP. It started up no problem. I have just watched dvd's so far but all seems good. It makes a bit of noise but this is less the 15 quid.
on 19 October 2013
This drive is built really well and is very solid, this is also quite a quiet drive, for the speed of it (which in itself is amazing) this is SO much faster and quiete than a USB drive, the difference is unbeleivable!
on 15 May 2014
The delivery was prompt which was great.

The drive came exactly as described and will fit perfectly into any case bay.
I would have given this item 4 stars as it does not come with a SATA data cable and the 2 that came with my case were tied up with hard drives, but it does not mention one in the description so it was my own fault for not checking. Just make sure you have enough data cables for the hard drive.

It is excellence value for a standard DVD drive and work very well.
on 22 September 2013
This will keep you burning for a while if you forgive the pun. liteon are very good with their DVDRW last one I had lasted a couple of years so well pleased with their products
on 14 May 2013
only negative note is that i MAY look like a metal cover but it feels like plastic. on the other side, its rather light :) and anyway nowadays you will barely ever use it.....
on 3 November 2013
Just what I wanted, no frills and arrived quickly cheap and works worth the £13 would use again thanks for the bargain many thanks amazon Just what I wanted.... 4 stars ****
on 15 December 2013
Does it's job. No problems with installation and usage so far. I don't know if its just me but no SATA data cable been provided. Maybe its normal. Good that i had one extra