on 6 November 2013
***UPDATE***
Well it's now over a year since I purchased this mighty fine DVD-drive. I've been putting it through its paces this past year, and it still works a dream. Some have mentioned and/or complained how noisy it can be... and yes, sometimes it can be noisy, but in my experience, for the most part, it's quite quiet, in fact the last time I burned a disc (usually the noisiest process on most drives), I couldn't hear a thing, nothing, and my computer is set up to run silent, I only knew it was successful when it had finished and tested the disc.

I bought this DVD drive to replace a Samsung one which failed after about a year. As I didn't want to go for another Samsung one, I instead opted for this Lite-On one. I won't lie, the price was a very big factor in the final decision to go for this one over all others. The price is cheap for a reason, it's nothing to do with the drive you get, but instead it's to do with the things you don't get, you don't get a retail box, screws, cables and instructions, and all this keeps cost down. My first impressions of this drive were that the eject action is a lot smoother than the one it replaced, the Samsung one was very sluggish from the very day I bought it. So far this is a good purchase, I just hope it lasts as long as my old IDE Philips one (7 years, and still going).

There are 2 slight differences between the DVD drive pictured and the one I received. The first is the shape of the eject button, on the picture the ends are rounded, but on the one I received they are flat. Second, the light on the one pictured is oval and flush with the face-plate, and on the one I received it's small, circular and recessed into the face-plate. These are merely cosmetic differences and should not change the performance of the drive, but it's worth noting.
on 13 February 2013
bought this for my sons new gaming pc build, it was a little cheaper than a few others he looked at.
as he is going to buy most of his games on Steam he didn't really need it apart from OS installation.
it was only £12 and does what its made for.
on 1 April 2014
Have had a number of LiteOn drives and they've all worked flawlessly, they're cheap but good - why pay more?
This drive arrived quickly, in good order and works perfectly.

Ignore the 'half height' non-sense in the title, it's an outdated term from when drives were much bigger and is still sometimes used for today's standard drives (also don't confuse 'half height' with 'slimline' as used in laptops), so this is fine for normal desktop machines!

I highly recommend this product and seller.
on 18 March 2014
Had one for over 3 years and it still works very well. So much so that when this was on special, I grabbed another for my new build to keep me going till BD RW come down to a reasonable price.

Really can't go wrong with this drive. Good speed but can be a tad noisy when spinning at full speed.
on 15 May 2014
The delivery was prompt which was great.

The drive came exactly as described and will fit perfectly into any case bay.
I would have given this item 4 stars as it does not come with a SATA data cable and the 2 that came with my case were tied up with hard drives, but it does not mention one in the description so it was my own fault for not checking. Just make sure you have enough data cables for the hard drive.

It is excellence value for a standard DVD drive and work very well.
on 20 June 2014
Very quick delivery.

However, as per the other reviews, its not the one you get in the picture. I dont believe its 1/2 height either as its exactly the same size as the old IDE one its replacing!

Noted a few reviews about packaging. Apart from the fact that people need to be reviewing the item, not the packaging I had no problem with it arriving in an Amazon envelope. No software is supplied but this is not needed in my opinion. If it was, it would push the price up.

all in all, superb value for money and ideal for my new pc build
on 11 January 2014
I have used this drive my self, and also in a friends system. It's a very good DVDRW Drive and I have used it for everything it can be used for :) Good price and looks like it will match many types of front panel! Only complaint... I wish it was all BLACK as the silver really shows in the top of a case... But I guess people could spray it if they want to, I didn't as I on;y needed it to install my OS but some other may want to.
on 1 January 2014
Does the job brilliantly. Great fit for my computer base unit, just slotted right in and read the disc first time. Easy to connect up. Only negative is it makes a loud noise when you turn on the computer or insert a disc but that's no biggie.
on 25 October 2013
Purchased this as a replacement for suspect drive in a Sun Ultra 24 workstation.

Came quicker than expected, along with 7 other non-electronic items all in one box. Pleasantly surprised.

Packaging for the whole lot was just about right. The DVD drive itself came in a plain cardboard box. Easy to open. No cables, no freebie software. Just what I wanted, no waste, less to dispose of.

Worked straight of the box. No complaints about fitting, operation, noise or speed. Perhaps not the quietest drive available but that is low on my list of priorities.

Oh, and don't be confused about it being 'half-height'. That is the "normal" height for desktops and the like. But you always check the dimensions, don't you?
on 14 February 2016
Arrived quick, worked straight out of the box, just slid it in the PC, and connected Power, and transfer leads, and it worked with no problem. It even takes NTSC import video's, and gives an excellent picture.