5.0 out of 5 stars High quality dental irrigator
After having a failed Waterpik unit and seeing on forums that there were issues about reliability I saw the Panasonic unit and figured I couldn't go wrong with a well known brand. I wasn't disappointed as it is well made, robust and has a non contact charging device (the Waterpik device I had is known for corrosion due to it's connection).
The 3 pressure settings on...
Published on 14 Aug 2009 by M. Chang

3.0 out of 5 stars In-built obsolescence?
Published on 8 Feb 2012 by Donkerkarnuffel

5.0 out of 5 stars High quality dental irrigator, 14 Aug 2009
M. Chang "generationnexus" (UK, London) - See all my reviews
The 3 pressure settings on this unit are useful and I cannot find any fault with it. I would recommend it and would also advise you think carefully about the cheaper units of this kind on the market.
Last thing, have always had problems flossing and cleaning between the teeth and this unit is not just easier and quicker, but cleans to a level between teeth and around gum lines I didn't find possible before.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good tooth irrigator, 6 Feb 2012
Kit E Kat (Somerset, England) - See all my reviews
I use this irrigator after eating breakfast, but before brushing my teeth and then again at night-time. It is excellent at getting little bits of food that are stuck in the tight gaps in my teeth. I fill mine with warm water as I don't like the feel of cold water on my teeth (got too many amalgam fillings) and I need to fill it only once again before I have done all of my teeth. You do have to be careful when cleaning the inside bottom teeth because the jet of water is quite strong and can be quite sore on the soft parts of your mouth just under your tongue. It doesn't take long to avoid this part of your mouth and get a better aim. I have a lot less build up of tartar , particularly on my bottom teeth which are a bit crooked. One complaint - I've already had to throw away a nozzle after only a few weeks of use, because it literally was jet propelled off the end of the handset. Cue water splattered all over my face and round the bathroom surfaces! Its ability to be gripped by the mechanism in the hole it is pushed in to had gone. A new one worked fine, but at over £12 for two replacements, this is an expensive item to keep replacing. Why so expensive for a couple of bits of plastic with no moving parts? Don't let this put you off purchasing this irrigator though, your teeth will feel like you've just been to your dental hygienist on a daily basis. Wonderful!

5.0 out of 5 stars An essential dental care accessory, 29 Sep 2011
First, the size. This is quite a large item - it has to be, to accommodate the water reservoir. So it is not really suitable for travelling (or, for that matter, for anyone with very small hands).

How well does it do its job, though? The answer is, very well - even on the standard setting, it blasts particles of food out of tooth crevices where they have lodged. And your mouth feels fresh afterwards. All very satisfying. There are a couple of reservations, though. First, the reservoir only just holds enough water for once round the mouth (though you can of course refill it in the course of a clean). A bigger problem is that the irrigator does not remove the plaque that brushing leaves. After 2-3 days use of the irrigator (but no other post-brushing steps), an interdental cleaning exercise is likely to find quite a bit of plaque. My dentist explained that the stickiness of plaque means that irrigators will not remove it, and this is indeed what I have found.

Given that this device does not provide a complete post-brushing solution, can it be recommended? Yes, provided you also have an interdental cleaning strategy for removing plaque. Oh, and if you decide to get it, be sure to follow the advice of the instructions to use tepid or warm water. Cold water will be a shock!

UPDATE - Feb 2013.

This product is even more useful than I had thought. Having recently started using the very effective TePe TePe Interdental Brush Yellow 0.7mm Pack of 8 (and a couple of other sizes), I notice that this irrigator still finds bits to remove after TePe use! So it really does deserve the full five stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended!, 23 Sep 2012
I am a dentist and I am using the product myself. It can not replace the flossing (there is always something after), but it is far better than no interdental cleaning. A must for braces, bridgework, implants, gingivitis/periodontitis!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not that good., 14 May 2012
At my last dental check-up my dentist recommended a water-pick - not this one he was selling another make which he did not have in stock that day. Following the very poor reviews of the version he was selling I opted for this Panasonic which was at that time at a lower price. I was sceptical but it does flush out food particles which my electric toothbrush can't reach. But if you have a piece of meat/bacon jammed between your teeth it won't shift that and flossing is the only answer.

I have kept this review back until my most recent check-up and my hygienist reported favourably on the reduced build-up of plaque and food particles between my teeth - this being achieved in the 3 months I have been using this device.

I find the battery life adequate but the water reservoir could be bigger. It is fairly bulky but you could take it on holiday at the expense of something else from your suitcase but an absence of use for say 3 weeks is not critical.

This device should be used as supplemental to dental care as brushing and flossing are vital. It is a good extra.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 16 Sep 2009
I'm thoroughly impressed with this product. I had a Waterpik before but the battery died on it after 14 months. This costs a little more but it has a lot more features and is a pleasure to use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent., 14 Dec 2012
The device suits perfectly to all my needs and is a pleasure to use. It is functional, easy and convenient to use, there is no wires and I can take it for a trip. Crucially, I can plug it into the bathroom socket, while the stationary Oral-B model of irrigator I had before needed to be plugged outside the bathroom.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does a really good job, 23 Aug 2013
This review is from: Panasonic EW1211W Dental Care Cordless Rechargeable Oral Irrigator (Personal Care)
Having read a lot of reviews of the various makes of the water picker I chose the Panasonic so the charge would last as long as possible. I have had no trouble with the charge, it seems to work quite a long time without charging, a couple of days at least, depending how long you have it on for of course. It takes a bit of getting used to, at first I was totally wetting the bathroom and myself, but have now mastered the technique, do not remove it from your mouth while it is running! I fill it 4 times, and doing inside, outside of top teeth (2 fills) and inside and outside bottom teeth (2 fills). I have found using a jug of tepid water, as mentioned in a previous review most helpful rather that filling from the tap. I will be interested to see if my hygienist notices the difference in the pockets, and will report back after I have had my next visit. However, I really do feel that my teeth gaps and spaces are really clean and as I hated floss and denture sticks this is the best gadget I have discovered for a long time. The two pin plug fitted my Sonicare mains charger which I find very useful. It will be coming on holiday with me, despite the bulk as the fresh feel in my mouth is more that worth the packing of it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A happy medium, 28 Oct 2009
Having used an oral spray for a number of years, the one continual grype from my wife has been the amount of space that the Kitty product takes up in the bathroom. I have dental implants and the use of a spray seems far more effective than the various brushes on offer. My dentist has given my cleaning regime the thumbs up - he was unable to fault the level of cleanliness at my last appointment.

I therefore feel uncomfortable when not able to spray, and the Kitty is not a portable device. I therefore decided to buy the Panasonic EW1211 based on other reviews for use when away. Suffice it to say that the Kitty has now been replaced by the Panasonic for daily use as well as travel, and I have just returned from a 4 day trip on which I used the Panasonic 2 or 3 times every day without a recharge.

The tank does need refilling several times, but the device would be too cumbersome if the tank were any larger. I have had the Panasonic for approximately 2 months and am very impressed.

3.0 out of 5 stars In-built obsolescence?, 8 Feb 2012
I bought this Panasonic Oral Irrigator around 12 months ago and have been using it twice a day, everyday ever since. I works really well and does exactly what it is meant to do, however if you want something that will last more than 12 months this isn't for you. It's really annoying when an item of this nature breaks one after the warranty has expired - it feels like sabotage! With A RRP OF £70.00 and a best price on Amazon still at around £65.00 I DO expect this product to last more than 12 months.
Panasonic say they do a unit for unit exchange on production of a valid receipt within one year - well that is obviously no good if your item is one day out of warranty.
I do want another one and certainly won't entertain Waterpik as I had one of those and it lasted about a month before it blew up. I think I will try the Philips Sonicare HX8111/02 AirFloss instead currently priced at £58.89 (as of 8/12/2012). At least with Philips the warranty is for 3 years and NOT just for 1 year like the Panasonic.
It's a shame because the product works really well and would get 5 stars if longevity was built-in to it!