on 27 July 2014
Designed for brewing pour over coffee - Chemex, V60 etc, the Hario scales are accurate and fast reading. The right window reads input weight so, having tared the scales after adding the dose of coffee grinds, you can add a precise measured amount of water in grams. The left window reads time elapsed so you can keep track of your total brew time.

Scales are slim enough to fit under most espresso machines to enable the user to weigh espresso shot weight. The scales are water resistant but not water tight so care must be taken to avoid damage to the internal mechanism.
on 5 June 2014
The addition of the timer to the scale means brewing in a V60 or other, similar pour over method, can be performed with a single device. Timing the bloom and pouring phases of coffee brewing leads to greater accuracy and repeatability.

The plastic does feel a little cheap considering the cost of the device and the scale could measure a little more quickly but these are minor quibbles with an otherwise excellent product.
on 19 November 2015
My first reaction was I thought they were the bees knees. I bought two of them so I was able to compare and I found that each of them was giving a different reading up to 0.2 - 0.3g apart and one was sometimes slower to read than the other. I switched them around and put them on different parts of the table to test the variables and the results were always dodgy. I realise that 0.2g doesnt sound like much, but when you're reading things that are only 5g thats quite a difference. I think what frustrated me more though was the lack of readings below 2g. I mean what on earth were they thinking? They were thinking people will only use this for coffee brewing, but thats not the case for everyone. I also wish it was a backlit screen and we could change from grams if we wanted to. Not that I do, but I realise some might want that.

On the plus side I love the touch buttons. Very sensitive if maybe a bit of delayed reaction, but still very happy with this aspect of it. Good that it can show minus numbers as well. I would buy again, but mainly because it has a built in timer and while it can be off on its readings at times its basically accurate for most of what I need it for. I think its got room for improvement.
on 13 December 2015
After six months usage I'm still not in love with the scales. They claim to have 0.1g accuracy, and for weighing out coffee for espresso, it does indeed show 0.1g resolution, but there is a significant time lag between adding coffee and the scales showing a new measurement. And in many cases, adding modest amounts in an attempt to go from (say) 13.8g to 14.0g suddenly leaps to (say) 14.7g, even though removing even less then drops the weight by 0.1 or 0.2g. As a result, I don't have confidence in the scales to a 0.1g accuracy, maybe 0.5g?

Nice and convenient having the scale and timer built in, robust and the design is nice, and with the obvious coffee grinds and occasional liquid spill there have been no problems whatsoever. Overall, a reasonable product, but just not responsive or accurate as I would hope for given the price.
on 24 April 2016
Very happy with this scale which I bought after speaking with the owner of a local favourite coffee shop. He had the same scale and it held up very well especially given the use it received day in and out at the shop. I'd prefer a countdown timer with an audible alert but I can use Siri as an alternative. Scale is accurate and helps me make more consistent coffee. I use this in combination with Clever Coffee Dripper which I find is the BEST way to brew filter coffee at home.
on 16 May 2016
I bought it because of the implied accuracy. The display can show 0.1g, however, the manual mentions an accuracy of only +/- 0.2g.
Additionally, it doesn't register anything below 2.0g. Finally, it reacts quite slowly. A couple of seconds is a lot when you are pouring something.

I returned it to Amazon.
on 5 December 2014
No more faffing with my phone or asking Siri to count-down a timer. Weigh my beans in the grind hopper, grind and then time. The I thought what I was paying was initially too high but this scale really is fantastically built and quality.

I simply love it and wouldn't be without it!
on 26 January 2015
Exactly what was needed for making amazing coffee, and excellent addition to Aeropress with stainless steel filter. Precise, easy to use, timer/tare/solid construction. All in one place, as oppose to messing around with scale and iPhone in kitchen. Happy purchaser!
on 13 May 2016
Way over priced. We bought two of these. They are both out of order a few months later. The buttons get stuck, the digits continue to move even after an item is on the scale for 10 seconds at times and fluctuates. Poor quality. All you pay for is the name.
on 20 September 2015
If you're serious about upping the quality of your homebrew, having the integrated weight and time function in one place gives you plenty of time to concentrate on technique without having to faff around with timers etc. Battery seems to be long-lasting too.