4.0 out of 5 stars Be afraid (II)
As a charity anthology, for only a handful of pennies, it would be churlish (and uncharitable!) to pick at the loose threads in this e-book, which could perhaps have benefited by a little more editing. That aside, 30 stories means even if you don't like them all, there's something for everyone! Here's my favourite three :

The Pond : Donna Cuttress
Lovely...
Published on 20 Jan. 2013 by Liam Hogan

3.0 out of 5 stars not bad, too many spelling/formatting mistakes
Some of the stories are not too original, but overall they better that what you would expect. My favourite is certainly "Lost Souls".
The only problem with this collection is the number of spelling errors, typos, and missing words. They can be really annoying.
However, if you like short horror stories, I would definitely recommend this book.
Published 23 months ago by DM

4.0 out of 5 stars Be afraid (II), 20 Jan. 2013
Liam Hogan - See all my reviews
This review is from: FEAR: A Modern Anthology Of Horror And Terror - Volume 2 (Kindle Edition)

The Pond : Donna Cuttress
Lovely idea of the threat in the back garden, and definitely unique. Love the terminator-esque relentlessness of the foe..

It Sticks With You : Kim Krodel
This one delivers a real sense of horror. It might be a little long to get going, and I'm still unsure what the narrator's intentions are when he makes his escape, but its a hell of a ride!

The Lost Souls : Laura Huntley
Like Synesthesia in Vol I, Lost Souls is a truly novel idea. I think it could take a little longer with the closing, a little more on whether she knows the punishment for not reliving the experience. But remarkable, none-the-less!

And I should for full disclosure point out, that one of the stories is mine, and how delightful it is to see it in (e)print!

Liam

4.0 out of 5 stars Very entertaining, 16 Nov. 2013
SusanS "SusanS" (Wakefield, West Yorks) - See all my reviews
For 77p you get quite a few stories in this collection. Not all are that great, but are still readable-some are pretty good.

I enjoyed "The Pond" the most. It is a good horror story, well written and a decent idea. I think that was the best tale in the collection (for me, anyway). A man/ghost comes out of a garden pond and is determined to get into the house he thinks is "his". This story was quite creepy.

I also really liked "It Sticks With You", where an aggressive wasp species migrate to America. They kill their prey with their highly toxic stings then turn their kill into a hive. My description makes it sound a bit like a dodgy B movie, but it is a good story. Well written with a real feeling of poignancy about it. I also absolutely hate wasps, so the idea of being turned into a hive/food source by the little blighters is not a pleasant thought.

I also enjoyed "To Be Heard"- (I think it was called that, not got kindle with me to check and memory like a sieve),it was about a lonely young guy who dies in his flat from carbon monoxide poisoning and his ghost comes back. Unfortunately, everyone is too busy carousing and watching telly to notice. Nicely written and enjoyable.

The rest were ok, enjoyable and readable.
I would also like to mention "Witch", about a woman being hung for witchcraft-not exactly what I would class as a horror story, but an interesting tale.
I also liked a rather predictable tale about two women hiking in the Highlands- (sorry- can't remember the title). They take refuge with a kindly old couple who warn them that a supernatural creature known as "the Slaugh" is on patrol- you can probably guess the outcome. It was a good story, though.

I liked the little bit at the end where you learn a bit about the authors.
Well worth it for 77p.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!, 13 Nov. 2012
Fab book defiantly worth buying and money goes to charity. Full of wonderful authors and scary stories. Nice to have the info about each author at end of each story too

4.0 out of 5 stars Fear: A Modern Anthology of Horror and Terror Volume 2, 18 Oct. 2013
I liked this second anthology of horror and terror. Like volume 1 it had something for everyone. For anyone who likes short-stories with a spooky theme, I recommend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars not bad, too many spelling/formatting mistakes, 23 April 2013

3.0 out of 5 stars Some highlights, 14 April 2013
M. King (Preston, England) - See all my reviews
Not terribly clear in the ad that these stories aren't written by established writers and I think some of the folk here are just learning their craft.

Having said that there were at least 6 stories in here I really liked..so not a bad deal overall.

4.0 out of 5 stars Boo, 22 July 2014
Some very good stories.I don't frighten easily but some of these stories make you think.