5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent
This was bought for me as a birthday present one year and books aren't normally my thing, so I was slightly sceptical at first about bothering to read it. Seen as though I'm a big fan of the films I thought I'd give it a go, an maybe read through the first 20 pages. After the first 20 i really started to get into it and I couldn't put the book down, totally hooked...
Published on 3 Nov. 2011 by D-Hutch 2011

3.0 out of 5 stars I love the Godfather films and watch them about once a ...
I love the Godfather films and watch them about once a year. Eventually I decided to read the book and I think the films are in many ways better than the book. However, there is more space in a book to explain the plot, the characters and their motivations and so the book helped me to understand some parts of the story that were glossed over or even omitted in the films...
Published 3 months ago by carbonophile

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 3 Nov. 2011
This review is from: The Godfather (Paperback)

The book itself covers the film The Godfather I and Michael's story from the Godfather II. With the large list of characters involved in story, I felt the book helped me to understand how some of the some of the secondary characters fit into the story. Giving me a better overall understanding of the films.

Very enjoyable even for someone that wasn't a book person before this.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Masterpiece, 8 Aug. 2001
This review is from: The Godfather (Paperback)
The Godfather is a powerful story not just of the mafia underworld, but of family, of power and the corruption that so often follows it, and of a great, yet dangerous man, Don Corleone. The mafia dealings are not a vital component of the story, often just referred to as "family business", but all that isn't necessary to understand the workings of the Corleone family. It is very difficult not to admire the power of the Godfather as well as his devotion to his family, and one can but sympathise with Michael as he tries to step into his father's shoes, finding that they simply do not fit. The story shows a great knowledge of the American mafia without glorifying it, with an ending to prove this point. Not only Puzo's finest novel by far, but fiction's finest gangster story, and undoubtedly among the finest works of fiction of the twentieth century.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why have I only just read this?, 8 Oct. 2011
D. J. PITT "dpitt" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Godfather (Paperback)
From the first pages to the last I struggled to put this down, just one more page then I'll turn the light off, ok, one more, well I might as well finish this chapter.

The way Mario Puzo matures Michael Corleone is extraordinary. My interest in Michael's 'destiny' correlated perfectly with his progress towards becoming a Don. Whilst Michael follows his path, the other character's stories play out intriguingly, keeping me interested and connected throughout.

If you haven't read this, read it now!

4.0 out of 5 stars A GREAT NOVEL AOUT REAL AMERICAN SICILIAN LIFE STYLE.., 26 Feb. 1999
This review is from: The Godfather (Hardcover)
The GODFATHER is a real astonishing novel written by Mario Puzo. my parents told me how much the film was real great, but i liked to read the novel first to get the general idea. And it has been a week since i've borrowed the godafther. it's really great, i started to share the personalities their feelings, and get more closer to mafia life style. the godfather's character is strange and cool, you like his personality, even though he's a mafia don, but the way he deals with the family and friends make him a real godfather... i like the novel very much, and if no one read it till now, he should, because it's really great and deals with every age, you can read as a suspense novel, or get closer to the person's pscychology. READ IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great content - bad package, 4 Oct. 2011
This review is from: The Godfather (Paperback)
I have given this item 5 stars for the content - which is nothing short of incredible. It is just a brilliant book.
Unfortunately, my copy fell apart within days. It started with just one page falling loose, then whole chunks until, eventually, I had to read the book in the 'volumes' it had separated itself into. I used the cover as a folder for the rest. I don't know if I was just unlucky or if there is a problem with this particular edition. Amazon were great and refunded the cost of the book - so no complaints.

5.0 out of 5 stars Insane how good this is., 18 May 2012
This review is from: The Godfather (Paperback)
I'd been itching to watch the films for ages and decided I'd read the book first of all. I'm glad I did. Without a doubt this is a masterpiece of epic proportions. Take a bow Mario Puzo. I've grew up seeing this Don Corleone as a cultural icon and never really understanding why. I get it now. Without a shadow of a doubt one of the greatest characters ever created.

"What manner of men are we then, if we do not have reason. We are all no better than beasts in the jungle if that were the case."

Enough said. I'll read this book until the pages fall out. Absolutley Awesome!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars It was OUTSTANDING!!!!!, 10 Feb. 1998
This review is from: The Godfather (Hardcover)
I have always had a strange, obsession, if you will, with the Mafioso. When I saw the movies "The Godfather" parts 1, 2, and 3, I knew that I had to read the book! It left me speechless. Although there were many parts in the book that weren't in the movies, I felt that I had just fallen into the latter 1940's in New York! Mario Puzo is the master at telling stories, I have never read anything better than this. I do recommend, however, that if you do intend on reading the book AND seeing the movies, that you see the movies first, because like moet movies based on books, there are SO many details in the book that aren't in the movies. If you are as fascinated with the Cosa Nostra as I am, this book is an absolute MUST READ, and I do think that you'll enjoy it a lot!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Godfather was a very thought provoking book., 30 Nov. 1998
This review is from: The Godfather (Hardcover)
I read three books recently, two were by Louis LaAmour an the third was by Mario Puzo. The books by Louis LaAmour were, Heller With A Gun and Man From The Broken Hills. The Godfather was the book by Mario Puzo.At first thought, it doesn't seem like the two authors would have much in common. LaAmour writes western and Puzo's book is about the Mafia. This was not the case, the two authors actually had a lot of things in common. Although only the stories by LaAmour took place in the same time period, all three books portrayed one common theme. Power. Who has it and how to obtain it. In Man from the broken hills, powerful cattle ranches are fighting over a range and stolen cattle. In the Godfather, Powerful families are fighting for power of the Mafia underworld in the United States. In the books by LaAmour, he tunes in on about four characters and there is one hero. Puzo prefers to show all of his characters. LaAmour made his charaters seem almost in human, they could do wrong. Puzo on the otherhand, made his characters very life like. As I said before, the stories were about power and the ways that men obtain it. In the old west, a man won his battle when he killed his enemy, the same was true with the Mafia, they won when the opponent was dead. The only difference is the who did the killings. The guys in the west would do it themselves and the Mafia bosses would have their employees do it. The similarity is that both kinds of executions would be done in public where peole would see and hear about them. This was a display of power. Both writers have a problem getting to the point, they beat around the bush until you get bored, then BAM! they wake you up with a sudden twist. They both also have a habit of leaving a charater for awhile and making you wonder what happens to that person. The books by LaAmour are shorter than that of Puzo, but they do not suffer. LaAmour didn't spend the time on side stories like Puzo did, if had, they would have equal length. Both authors posess the ability to attract your attention and for the most part keep it. They are both Worthwhile authors to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Modern Great, 24 April 2012
This review is from: The Godfather (Paperback)
Mario Puzo's control and development of character is what sets him apart from other authors and what has lead to The Godfather becoming the stand out novel of its generation. The development of Michael Corleone is astounding, and something that has not been replicated by any other author of this generation. Michael progresses and culminates in one of the most imposing and powerful character profiles in history.

I wholeheartedly recommend this novel to anyone as it is the only book I have finished and then turned to the front page and started again!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hugely entertaining and a joy to read., 31 Mar. 2012
This review is from: The Godfather (Paperback)
I couldnt put this book down, i found myself reading a lot more throughout the day and contantly thinking about the story. The characters and scenes in my head play a lot better than the film ever did (the joy of reading).

I've seen The Godfather movie and although i enjoyed it i couldnt stand part 2 (except for the young Vito flashbacks) and I didnt liek number 3. I learned that it's because the parts in the movie i enjoyed where the parts that came directly from the book. The book also covers parts that the film doesnt, what happens to Lucy Mancini? To Johnny Fontane? What's Albert Neri's background? You're in for a real treat when you buy this book.

The Godfather