5.0 out of 5 stars The darkness rubs off...
Published on 24 May 2013 by Gina

3.0 out of 5 stars Everything you've heard is true...
Now, I consider myself to be a pretty competant and patient gamer, willing to invest time and effort in a game- no just in for the quick hit, nosiree, not I. However, it's pretty fair to say that Dark Souls has BROKEN me, and I'm really not sure if this makes for a good game or not.
Plus points- the game looks terrific and more to the point really pushes a unique...
Published on 7 May 2013 by Ed209

5.0 out of 5 stars The darkness rubs off..., 24 May 2013
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Dark Souls Prepare to Die Edition (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I've only played a few hours of this game and all the review reading, video watching and deliberating hasn't proven me wrong. Dark Souls, I believe, is a brilliant game. However don't expect any coddling or anything like that, the brutality of this game will be like a punch in the face for you. As soon I entered the game I could feel a chill running down my spine and my tension levels shooting upwards, that's the sort of game it is. Danger lurking around the corner, surprise attacks killing you with a few hits; you constantly have to be on your guard. Although this can be sometimes bothersome, you eventually get used to the world of Dark Souls and it sort of becomes second nature to you.
Killing is satisfying, especially when it's one of those damn things that you never could defeat your first time. (Ahem - bosses) I find the concepts behind the combat in Dark Souls fascinating and realistic - with health being easily knocked down and stamina being depleted. Although these things seem to be annoying, I think it adds to your experience because... well reality doesn't allow you to run miles without taking a break. The graphics are nice, and I have yet to encounter any problems with them,all the environments are dark and caked with horror.
And finally the plot. Although Dark Souls lacks in the 'plot' area, I don't even mind. And this is very, very surprising to me because normally I am a sucker for a good plot. However Dark Souls is just so darn good, I don't even care. I'm even deliberating getting Xbox Live because playing by myself is making me spiral deeper and deeper into insanity- just that tiny touch of human contact will make me feel so much better. (You can call me a wuss - I don't mind >.<)
To those who wish to buy this game, you must ask yourself these questions:
Do you have a good amount of patience?
Do you like a challenge?
Do you like a game that won't easily give you your way, but will reluctantly bow down to you if you continue with humongous persistence?
Do you not care about spending hours and hours on ONE game?
If the answer to all these questions is 'YES', I strongly advise you to buy this game. I doubt you will look back.

5.0 out of 5 stars Death is a fixture and its here to stay, 18 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Dark Souls Prepare to Die Edition (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I just want to say before I start properly that I LOVE this game, it has drained hours out of my life and there have been times of frustration but nothing can compare to the elation of defeating a boss that has robbed you of multiple souls and humanity.
The prepare to die version shows people how DLC should be made, it fits seamlessly into the dark souls game as if it had been there all along. As other reviews state, this game is hard, but not I don't think too hard. It is a game that doesn't hold your hand and doesn't tell you what you need to do. It is up-to you to use your brain and there arent many games out there that do this nowadays.
I have not played a game since Monkey Island that has had me talking about it as much with my friends in the pub, sharing tips of how to get passed a point that has had me stuck. Granted its not exactly the same ( no using a fish to bait a bird in order to obtain a collectible) however the premise is the same. You need to explore and you need to use your brain in order to progress. If you are the sort of person that needs an arrow pointing you to the next checkpoint, and a glowing arrow over the person you need to speak to then look at one of the other many games that are out there because this isn't for you. However if you are willing to invest time, to ignore your children and your partner, and to fall into a bi-polar spin of depression, frustration and manic elation running around the room and cheering when you have managed to defeat that boss, then this wonderfully made game is just for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Punishingly Good, 3 Dec. 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Dark Souls Prepare to Die Edition (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I'm only just over 30 hours into this 100+ hour game and I think I've barely scratched the surface of what it has to offer. If you're tired of typical JRPGs, with their increasingly linear and often obtuse storylines, repetitive battles and ceaseless grinding, then this is for you, provided that you like a challenge.

This game has many defining qualities that give it greatness - the story is very slim, and you are left to figure it out for yourself. This also applies to many of the game mechanics, such as the fact that you are "hollow" when you start the game and you need to acquire "humanity" to reverse your hollowing. In the beginning this means nothing, and is not explained anywhere (not even the manual) and so you are challenged to get your head around it. Despite initial frustration, you get into it, and the fact that you've had to work it out for yourself means that it stays in your head.

One neat feature I didn't realise the game had when I bought it was multiplayer. Now I'm a multiplayer skeptic - more often than not, it's only added into ostensibly single-player games to increase sales, but in this game it's done extremely well. You can write a "summon sign" on the ground which appears in other people's games, and they can summon you for a short period until the area boss has been defeated, working as a team. After that, you're back to your own game where you left off. Other players can also leave messages on the ground to serve as hints for progressing. This is no mere glib addition of multiplayer - it has an important purpose.

Another much talked-about attribute of the game that makes it great is the punishing difficulty within. This is certainly not a game for casual, Nintendo Wii players - there is little to no hand-holding, the very first area houses a massive boss that is quite difficult to beat on first playthrough, and it only goes upwards from there. Many of the game's mechanics have been purposefully manipulated to challenge, for example as you play and dispatch enemies you collect "souls" which are used as currency for items and to level up. If you die somewhere, all the souls you collect will be dropped at that point, and you respawn at the last respawn point you visited (bonfires in this case) which could be miles away. So, you're faced with a choice - go elsewhere in the massive open world, or travel back to the place you died to retrieve your souls, but if you die on the way that's them gone forever. To add insult to injury, when you respawn so do all the enemies in the world, save for the bosses and larger enemies, so you have to hack your way through them all again.

But you will keep coming back to it.

A tough game with a massive open world you can immerse yourself in, deep gameplay with hundreds of items and weapons, a fully customisable character, a huge mystery surrounding the story, immense bosses and a huge difficulty level - what's not to like?

Don't miss this game.

5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly my best ever game, 8 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Dark Souls Prepare to Die Edition (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Yes, Dark Souls is hard, and yes that is probably its main selling point, but that shouldn't put you off playing it. A challenge is something too many modern games have been lacking. If you learn to play the game properly, instead of approaching it like any other title, you will find it's not mind-numbingly frustrating and repetitive like some people claim, but challenging and rewarding. The enemies deal a lot of damage even early on in the game, which is what a lot of people fail to adapt to. You can't really tank your way through, or just repeatedly swing your sword in a tactless battle of attrition, you have to block and dodge, learn the ways your enemies attack, and then adapt your own offence towards that to overcome them. It's far more strategic and involving combat than a game such as Skyrim, for example. It's not just about grinding either, you can actually defeat any opponent with any weapon at any level. Sure, it might take a while if you're a level 10 character dishing out 2 damage every hit to a monster with 1000HP who can kill you in one, but it's possible by learning its attacks and knowing how to deal with them. The combat system itself is one of the best I've used; everything just works and feels right.

There is a surprising amount of story to the game as well, while you're only given subtle hints on where to go most of the time, interactions with certain NPCs and descriptions of items provide pieces to a very large yet often-overlooked jigsaw, with every location having a history and every character or enemy a background. The full thing is never revealed, but all these little snippets allow you to form your own ideas of how everything ties together. The lack of information can sometimes be a hindrance however, particularly regarding stats pages which use icons instead of text, but explanations of this are only a Google away, even if its not ideal.

The multiplayer system is probably the most innovative I've played. Instead of bunging on a thoughtless deathmatch mode, the game integrates multiplayer aspects throughout the whole story. Every player has his/her own world, and they can write messages on the ground which can then show up in other players' worlds. Deciding whether to trust these messages or not is up to you. You can often see glimpses of other players appearing briefly as a phantom, and bloodstains show up where other players have died, and interacting with those allows you to see their last few seconds before they were killed. If you're in 'human' form there is a possibility of another player invading your world with the goal of killing you, which sets up a unique PvP aspect. While 'human' you can also summon other players to assist you with parts of the game such as defeating a boss or repelling an invader.

Dark Souls really is a fantastic game which probably has the honour of being my best ever. If you can get past the need for strategy and can accept not being able to mindlessly slash your way through, it is a deeply involving, richly rewarding experience that offers something that very few games do nowadays.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping, Confusing, Amazing!, 30 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Dark Souls Prepare to Die Edition (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
This is a five star game. Yes it will make you pull your hair out. Yes it will make you break 2 controller. But there is fun in that. This was the most challenging game i ever bought. Hell, it took like an hour to get out of the tutorial! Now im killing Snorlax and Pikachu in like 1 minute! This is the only game were you have to learn from your mistakes, even if that means learning to parry a hollow for an hour. People complain it takes too long and granted it does, but unlike other games associated with it like skyrim you can't just prance through (unless your a GiantDad, the legend never dies). It's rewarding getting gear at random and having to take an hour to kill a doggy with a sword your first time. You have to play this game a lot to understand it, just take a break once in a while so you don't hate it. I get really disappointed when i see reviews for one star from noobs who haven't even finished the game.

Buy it.
Play the hell out of it.
Cry a few times.

Then you will love it :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Prepare to suffer even more!, 28 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Dark Souls Prepare to Die Edition (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
'Dark Souls' is not only one of the best console games ever, it's also probably the most difficult. I'd already finished the original game when I bought this edition, which includes the extra DLC, and so thought I was pretty good. My high opinion of myself was confirmed when on this playthrough I defeated Ornstein and Smough on my first attempt! Similarly, the first new Boss, the Sanctuary Guardian ,proved to be pretty easy BUT prepare to meet Knight Artorias! This guy makes everything up to this point look easy: you go through the fog door and get flattened within about twenty seconds.When you eventually defeat him there are two ( one is voluntary)more equally insane encounters to face.
So, a great game with the DLC worthy of the original in every way and this edition is well worth buying even if you've already finished the original game. For information, even if you've finished the original, you need to defeat Ornstein and Smough again before you can access the DLC.
Brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 15 Sept. 2013
After hearing so much bout this game I taught I better try it . Twenty
Minutes in and its already difficult . But the satisfaction you get when
You finish an area and get the weapons and items from it is great
. Not only that but the fighting is great in it as well as the PVP.
The map is actually very big and there's a good sense that every
Area has its own style and strategy to get around , you don't have to
Really follow the story directly and can go off by yourself , and when you Finish
The game , if you finish the game you can either play ot all again on Ng+ which is even harder
And you keep all your items and levels or,just start a new character

5.0 out of 5 stars A Brilliantly designed, unique but deadly masterpiece, 7 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Dark Souls Prepare to Die Edition (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Ive written reviews of this game before, but never after completing it. I thought I was more entitled to give my full opinion now that I have finally stuck Lord Gwyn like pig (well acctually in a flurry of desperate halbard swings leaving me gasping for breath because you can only breath as soon as the words you defeated came on the screen when at the final stage basicly means "you have beat one of the hardest games ever made")

Dark Souls is a brilliantly designed, unique masterpiece that defined the genre. This sentence basicly sums up my (and many others) opinion of the game but dont worry Im going to go into more detail.

Many people say that Dark Souls is hard, infact everyone who has played the game will say that it is hard and it is. Yet this is one the few games I have acctually bothered to fully finish. You see I get bored of playing the same game for ages quite easily, but not Dark Souls. DS is different, youl want to play more, youl want to beat that areas final boss, youl want to get more souls, youl want to get more humanity Simply becasue its so rewarding. I guarantee you wont really want to stop unless you really have to. This is just how gripping and addictive the game is. The difficulty is one the games ways of keeping you playing, youve died so may times in one area or boss fight, youl want revenge, youl want to beat it because you know youl get that feeling thats like being submerged in water for 5 minutes then finally surfacing and getting that breath of air, the feeling of beating that god damn demon who has killed you 76 times. The feeling of knowing that you know have enough souls to level up to use that huge hammer that does 297 damage. The feeling of victory and progression

"Dark Souls isnt brilliant because its difficult, but because it handles its difficultly very well"

Not sure who I am quoting here but I know it has been said a few times. And I agree!

Now im going to talk about the design of this game. Quoting PewDiePie "Everywhere you go in this game its buitiful, whoever designed stuff in this game is like swaglord 200 or someting..." It sure is. I love the amount of thought and creativity that went into designing Dark Souls . The scenery is what really takes your breath away, buitiful locations will get you killed because your too buisy looking at the sky to notace the giant walking towards you . What I love the most is the boss design, the horrors behind those white lights come in all shapes and sizes. How would you like your bosess, err I mean steak? Your options are Disgusting ,terrifying, or epicly awesome err I mean well done, medium rare and blue. The weapon and armour design is just brilliant! Stare to long at Havels armour and youl notace drool coming down your chin. Beats the hell out of the steriotypical unpractical knee guards you get in most RPG's.

Multiplayer is handeled in the smartest way I have ever seen. You can invade or be summoned to another players world as a phantom to either kill them or help them get through an area. This works well with the plot as the world seems to revolve around the Cycle Universe theory.

Thats one thing I forgot, the plot.The plot is VERY INTERESTING Most of the games back story is reveiled to you through out the game, but lots of even more interesting deep hidden lore is buried throughout the game. I can recommend the YouTube Channel Vaati Vaida(I probably spelled that wrong) But this guy has dedicated his channel to digging around for lore in the souls games and he does a great job. His Prepare to Cry playlist revieles a lot more of the games plot and by god is it interesting.

Dark Souls is simply brilliant, it defined the genre. And it is one of my favourite games.

Fully deserves a 10/10

4.0 out of 5 stars Do I like it?, 6 May 2014
This review is from: Dark Souls Prepare to Die Edition (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Dark souls puts the player in the shoes of a undead, freshly escaped from prison in the typical fantasy RPG fashion and sent on an epic quest. Unfortunately for said undead, there is an army of everything nasty imaginable standing between himself and his unclear goals, and just about every single individual within said army wants to eat him alive, skewer him and roast him over a spit, curse him or smash him to pieces with a large hammer/club/axe. The game scores a lot of points for its inventive enemy design, and particularly for the fact that each enemy has a unique feel and style of fighting, a particularly excellent example being the constantly self reassembling skeletons, that often fall apart after a particularly aggressive attack, or after being impaled and reassemble right behind the player, or even better, when hit with a strong attack, the legs often remain standing as the scattered bones fly into place. The enemy design is excellent in most cases, and every single enemy can punish the player very quickly for seemingly simple mistakes.
And that's the regular bad guys, The boss fights are completely unforgiving, punishing every mistake with a smug "you died" and the reward of having to fight through a legion of undead every single time you want to give it a try, which, going by the fact that your souls/experience stays in the area where you died, meaning that you often will have to slog back to that area and fight all the same enemies again. and again. and again. and again.
The extreme difficulty of dark souls is actually one of it's better points however. It's no artistic flourish that it's called the prepare to die edition. As you will. A lot. It has the distinctly old school feeling towards it's treatment of the player, in that the player will constantly be bashed around like a rag doll until they develop the reflexes and learn the strategies that they need to fight their way through, and slowly grind their way through the bad guys, levelling up and upgrading equipment until they become the fantasy equivalent of a ninja, and even then the game is wildly difficult. But this is all the more reason to play it, as there are few things more uplifting than actually killing the fire breathing gargoyle monster that has killed you twenty times in a row in the past hour, and it becomes a very cathartic experience, and actually a better way to relax than some of the easier games.
But it does fall short of five stars, as there are control issues, the primary issue being that the controls can be clunky at times, the rolling can only be described asschizophrenic, and in most cases blocking doesn't actually seem to have much effect. The controls are buggy, and sometimes even can be completely unresponsive, with thte player freezing right before the giant boss swings his hammer into him. The game systems seems to inexplicably favour some enemies, such as the faceless demons, which always insta-kill the player on approach, or the gold/silver nights, whom can take away three quarters of the players health in a single hit, and always chain multiple attacks, and seem to exist purely to frustrate the player. And it can be very difficult to actually know where you are supposed to be going, E.g. I spent a considerable amount of time fighting my way into a ghost infested ruin looking for a bell, only to find it was in a completely different location. The game has no map, and little in the way of actual given goals, and the amount of time spent grinding means that said goals are likely to be forgotten. Although this does justify the system in which players can send messages to each other (although for someone without a live account, this is useless and I am forced to rely on reading the first few lines of wiki articles for directions), enter other player's games to help them, or even invade and attack other players games to kill them at the worst possible moment.
So, in conclusion, an excellent game marred by terrible controls, a general lack of help for the player in any area and sometimes obnoxious design choices that make an already difficult game outright frustrating. But not enough to ruin this well made game, which unlike the majority of games produced over recent years, is actually challenging.

5.0 out of 5 stars Joyous frustration!, 11 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Dark Souls Prepare to Die Edition (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
When i received this game i had to make sure i didn't play too much, otherwise i'd have no social life whatsoever.

As you're doing the tutorial you know exactly what you're getting yourself into, whereas some tutorials are there to go easy on you, Dark Souls pretty much throws you straight in which is a great way to get a feel for it.
You'll enter some places thinking "This is going quite well, i'm not going to die, i got this." Usually not long after you'll more than likely be faced with creatures that will eat away at your health or you might do a stealthy roll straight off of an edge ultimately meeting your end.
The people who have complained that the game is unfair, i just don't get why, it all seems pretty fair to me? surely if an enemy (which is there to kill you) is constantly hitting you, causing your character to move backwards eventually falling down, is fair? Striking an enemy = opening your block = if they hit you first you're probably going to recieve some damage! You should have to work hard in a game and spend hours on it, even if at times it drives you insane, the feeling you get when you get past an area and defeat bosses is absolutely amazing and worth all of the times you've died and gone through the same section over and over and over because eventually you will get better at avoiding death in those areas. To make your life even more simple, some sections you can just sprint through and deal with a couple of enemies. All in all, this game is awesome, buy it whilst knowing you are going to get angry/upset but also knowing how ecstatic you're going to be when you complete sections!

Dark Souls Prepare to Die Edition (Xbox 360)