Colour Name: Red/Black|Change

on 23 January 2015
I owned a more expensive pair of Sennheiser waterproof running headphones that eventually had intermittent noise problems and the metal parts of the earpieces rusted. I thought I'd try these for a change and have now had them over a year. As an ultramarathon runner I spend hours training in a multitude of challenging weather conditions and have found these earphones to be comfortable, easy to clean and put out reasonable sound quality. I see there are some poor reviews for this product by other users, but have to say in my experience they have been very good and I would buy them again.
Colour Name: Red/Black|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
These headphones have certainly been designed with the health conscious in mind. Unlike your usual in-ear headphones, such as the ones that come free with iPods, these will not let you down when you are out and about, or down the gym.

The design is maybe not for everyone though, the band around the back of your head does takes some getting used to, and is not the most comfortable of designs (made of hard plastic).
However, when it comes to exercising, the band holds the headphones securely in place, meaning that they never slip out of your ears. After a few uses I did get used to the design, and realised that Philips really did a good job of making these cling to your head.

The sound quality really surprise me, as Philips are not known for delivering the best in terms of sound. But the bass is rich, the mid frequencies are nice and clear, and the high end is not too overpowering as it can be in some cheaper headphones (though £35 is not exactly cheap, it's not £150 Bose prices!!!)

Another excellent part of the design is the earbuds, which are removable. This means that when they inevitably get sweaty during exercise, you can simply remove them, wash them off, and clip them back on.

In all, if you are looking for a good set of headphones to wear during exercise, these are right up there with the best. You will not get Bose or AKG sound quality, but these are very solid headphones.
on 31 May 2014
I can only assume these headphones were only ever tested by one bloke at Philips sat in a chair, at 5.30pm on a Friday, rather than by anyone actually moving around.

At this price the sound is actually not bad but you'll never know this because the right earbud will continually be pulled slightly out of your ear by the weight of the cable dragging down on the other side, even when clipped to your shirt. The cable itself is not only attached in an inexplicably strange position to the headset (causing the issues mentioned above) but is also far too short for use whilst doing any kind of exercise.

If you prefer your music tinny and distant in your right ear and enjoy the infuriating feeling of a headset being gently pulled from your head, these are the headphones for you.
on 30 December 2015
Bought these in April 2013, they lasted for 2 1/2 years until December 2015 when one earpiece stopped outputting sound - I use them very regularly, 2-3 times a week in the gym on the machines for an hour and I do sweat a lot, I wipe them after use and store in the bag and not had any issues - it is possible the sound loss is actually from wear and tear from my occasional clumsy hands going for a towel and knocking the adapter out of the machine but they lasted a great deal longer than the Sennheiser ones I had before.

Sound is absolutely what you would expect from these sort of headphones - clear and crisp without being heavy on the bass (which is a plus for me in general terms) and TV or music is done fine.

For £35.96 they were a good buy, for £16 or so as of today they are brilliant
on 1 April 2016
Like most 'sports headphones', these don't withstand the use they're designed for. I bought mine in early January, and by mid-March, during which time I probably only used them 10 times or so, one of the earphones started to crackle, and eventually die.

I've had longer-lasting unbranded headphones from Sports Direct. I don't mind replacing these things after a year or so, if I've spent long enough hours running outdoors with them, but I probably did about 80 miles over 10-12 runs in total before these things had had enough.
VINE VOICEon 11 April 2013
Colour Name: Red/Black|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Phillips has obviously tried to challenge the market-leading Sennheiser/adidas sports headphones (that I also own).
They're practically the same price, and aside from the horrid colour), they'll do the same job.

They're bass heavy... but then that's obviously stated on the packaging. It does suit my house music though - even when out of the gym It might not suit those that like Elton John while workin gout, though.
All mid tones, highs are clear and not ear-bleeding (maybe because they make way for extra bass?).
I find them comfortable enough for a jog, whether outdoors or on the treadmill, and totally fine when on the weights machines. The set comes with 3 different pairs of plus for small, medium and large ears
I tend to wear them for about 1.5 hours at the most, and they stay comfortable during that time.
It's pretty obvious to tell you that these are designed to stay in your ears while moving, unlike non-headband styles - so you can focus on your exercise.
Lastly, You can also clean them, which is great 'cos you don't want them getting a funk like your trainers!

Shame they don't come in an understated black, grey or white. This is my only gripe.
Still, worth your money!
on 4 June 2014
does the job unfortunately the cord is about 10cm too short for me and if my phone is in my back pocket it pulls when head moves.
on 4 September 2013
I always used Sennheiser PMX, but the yellow version had an in-line-volume which is fine for moderate exercise, but I work hard and the thing bangs around. Therefore, I thought I would try these as there was no in-line-volume.
Firstly, they are very quiet compared to Sennheiser and just about ok. Fit and comfort were fine. However, after a few months the right hand ear piece came apart and the sound stopped in the left. I thought I try the warranty, but todate I have not bothered as it seems a faff on the Phillips website. Conversely, the Sennheiser warranty (2 years) is very easy to use and I have exchanged many pairs. In all truth I give these 'sports' headphones a right working over and lots of sweat goes in them, but they are supposed to cope and generally the Sennheisers last at least a year and then I just claim a replacement pair. Perhaps I'll try and claim off Phillips, but they are still weak overeall. For the Sennheisers I found a work around where I pin the in-lin-volume on my shirt shoulder to stop it banging.
on 28 April 2014
Wrecked two pairs, each within a half a dozen runs. These are in no way shape or form suitable for exercise. I don't know if it's sweat or movement that does it but these are guaranteed to break in a very short time if you use them for their intended purpose of running.
It's a shame as the sound is ok and the band really does make the buds stick in your ear. Which is utterly useless as they stop working immediately.

DO NOT BUY.
on 6 February 2014
The head phones are meant to be for the gym they are meant to be sweat proof and rain proof. I got these for my partner for Christmas and within a month after using them the ear peace broke because of sweat getting inside. We couldn't work out why not sound was coming though and on closer look that was why.

It doesn't say what it does on the tin and I am now returning the item for a full refund.

Wouldn't recommend.