5.0 out of 5 stars revealing
I have heard talk of workhouses I remember my grandmother mentioning them but only being a child I didn't take much notice of what was being said. It must have been an awful thing to have been separated from your family and enter into a regime like that. I really enjoyed reading this like a history lesson. I would definitely recommend this book.
Published 24 months ago by Wendy

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok!
Wasn't very impressed got boring very quickly! I Sure somebody else might enjoy it , but it was not for me
Published 21 months ago by debbie

5.0 out of 5 stars revealing, 26 April 2013
Wendy (stratford upon avon) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Workhouse Porridge, 10 Sept. 2013
This review is from: WORKHOUSE PORRIDGE (Kindle Edition)
What awful lives the inmates of the workhouse had, particularly the children who were clearly treated with cruelty - no love or affection for them and they were punished as if it was their fault they were there. A story to make you count your blessings!

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic true account of life in times gone by., 4 Nov. 2013
This review is from: WORKHOUSE PORRIDGE (Kindle Edition)
I LOVED THIS BOOK. As a mother of two - I would love my children to read this - just to understand how lucky they are. Poor Annie and her family had such a hard time in the workhouse. It's almost impossible to think that this "history" is recent and not something from the days of Oliver Twist! I was hooked by the simple writing. It has very little description, leaving me free to imagine what aAnnie and her friends and family looked like. It's sad, it's funny and deeply uplifting. I like the photos at the end - the proof that his person was real and these experiences true. A Brilliant read.

4.0 out of 5 stars true life, 15 April 2013
This review is from: WORKHOUSE PORRIDGE (Kindle Edition)
much the same as life in acottage home bit more detail but again left me wondering about thier later lifes

4.0 out of 5 stars ''''True story'''', 22 Sept. 2013
This review is from: WORKHOUSE PORRIDGE (Kindle Edition)
Story of a family due to circumstances beyond their control ended up in the workhouse. It was interesting to read what happened to the children during their time there and consequently what happen after they left. The book was very informative and enjoyable although not riveting. I liked that at the end we are told where the surviving family are today. A nice easy book to read which I would recommend

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok!, 31 July 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 11 July 2014
good

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting insight into early 20th century life of the poor, 4 Oct. 2013
This review is from: WORKHOUSE PORRIDGE (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed the story of the life of this family. I do think that the life in the work house was viewed through slightly rose tinted glasses however

4.0 out of 5 stars workhouse porridge, 28 Jun. 2013
This review is from: WORKHOUSE PORRIDGE (Kindle Edition)
I quite enjoyed this book basic writing most of the time but seemed to be accurate. I was surprised at the end to see that it was actually based on someones life. A good quick easy read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice story set in sad situation, 28 Jun. 2013
This review is from: WORKHOUSE PORRIDGE (Kindle Edition)
This is a lovely story of how the love of family & friendship can keep you strong in such difficult times. The only negative is it lacks real detail & feeling of life in a workhouse so is more like it has been written by a third person from the memoirs they have heard from the family member who went through it.

WORKHOUSE PORRIDGE