5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, quality little motherboard!
Upgrading from an outdated AM2+ socket motherboard, I was seeking a motherboard that was capable of becoming a part of a somewhat budget gaming rig, so I gathered this along with an FX-6300 and an HD 7850 and it's great. This is a micro-ATX motherboard that fits perfectly in my case.

Published 15 months ago by Lee

3.0 out of 5 stars Gigabyte AM3+ mATX motherboard.
The board (rev. 5) looks great with the brown PCB and grey + white accents.
Installation was easy and USB3.0 as well as HDMI was a nice addition. It comes with integrated graphics too!

Published 15 months ago by John

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, quality little motherboard!, 1 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Gigabyte SKT-AM3 78LMT-USB3 Motherboard (Personal Computers)

First of all for the price, this is excellent value, the capacitators are top quality meaning this motherboard will last a long time, you get the AM3+ socket which is capable of accepting some very capable AMD processors like the FX-8350, 4 DDR3 slots to hold up to 32GB of RAM which is overkill in most systems, note that the ram is clocked to 1333mHz max without overclocking, but ram speed means very little these days.

Only one PCI-E 2.0 slot so don't expect to be able to utilise Crossfire or SLI but one PCI-E slot is very sufficient if it's utilised with a half-decent GPU, the motherboard comes with integrated graphics (AMD 760G specifically) but you're going to want a dedicated graphics card if you want to play games.

Motherboard comes with plenty USB 2.0 support with 4 slots on the motherboard itself and extra connectors to connect external USB 2.0/3.0 on the case. Not to mention the motherboard comes with 2 USB 3.0 slots anyway. Other standard connections include your audio jacks, HDMI support, VGA and DVI, also a PS/2 slot that can accomodate either a keyboard or a mouse.

Box also comes with the manuals, 2 extra SATA cables and the back panel.

Recommending this to anybody who has a low budget and needs a board that can fit a good CPU, GPU and the rest for a mid-range gaming rig, look no further.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny, 30 Sept. 2012
Easy to install and worth the money. Had it up and running in no time. Just had one issue which was the CPU fan was running at 100% (as loud as a server) though realised that I needed a 4 pin CPU fan in order for it to support it fully.

3.0 out of 5 stars Gigabyte AM3+ mATX motherboard., 20 Oct. 2013
The board (rev. 5) looks great with the brown PCB and grey + white accents.

However, when using the board with my FX 6300 processor, I experienced throttling, where the CPU would never exceed 3.0Ghz at full 6-core load. After researching, I found this to be because of APM, which throttles the CPU to stay within the 95W TPM. This means that you cannot reach the full potential of the CPU without exceeding 95W. This can be fixed by disabling the APM feature though, which incurs slightly higher load and temperature but nothing majorly out of the ordinary.

This does not occur with revisions prior to 5.

The board has heatsinked mofsets, meaning that if you have a sufficient PSU, it can overclock very nicely on a budget board (I've heard claims of people reaching 4.4Ghz after fixing the throttling problem)

The 1333 max frequency for RAM on this board will be automatically applied by the BIOS. However, this can be easily changed to whatever the correct value is. I upped my RAM from 1333Mhz to 1600 and it runs fine, except for a small hiccup where it failed to boot and I had to reset the CMOS battery.
Benchmarks proved that the RAM change was significant and provided a performance boost vs. the previous setting.

Unfortunately, if installing a two-slot GPU, you cannot use the single PCIe slot, as it is covered by the graphics card.
I would have liked to see this more intelligently positioned so that I could have made use of it.

A small issue is that the board still uses the old AWARD BIOS, where most other similar board and higher use a modern UEFI BIOS. However, this does not mean that this board lacks features in the BIOS, they are just harder to access if you do not know where they are located in the menus, compared to a UEFI BIOS which is more straightforward.

Additionally, it is limited to SATAII. This was not a problem for me, and in most cases will not be for normal users, as mechanical HDDs do not fully saturate even the SATAII interface normally, and so have no use for SATAIII.
If you are using an SSD though, your speeds will be significantly lowered by the (relatively) slow SATA interface.

The board has good number of SATA ports, which is good to see on a low price board.

Overall, this board is extremely good for a budget build where you do not need to use full SATA speeds, or PCIe expantion.
If you require more, I would reccomend buying a motherboard with a more advanced chipset than 760G.

4.0 out of 5 stars good and solid mobo, 24 Jun. 2013
I bought this motherboard to replace one that had been killed by a cheap PSU and it is working like a dream.

The motherboard actually surprised me on how solid it feels and the PCB has not got a dangerous amount of flex to it like a lot of other "Value" motherboards out there.

the only gripe I could possibly have against the board is the lack of a PCI-E 1x above the PCI-E 16x, Other then that I was expecting to not have any Sata 3.0 ports so that is not a minus in my book,

Overall its a solid cool running and stable piece of equipment that also supports high end FX CPU's

4.0 out of 5 stars Good MB but be careful when changing things., 8 Jun. 2013
Good points:
I've had this mobo in my basic multi media build with an athalon and 8bg of ram for a while now and has worked flawlessly even when I overclocked my CPU everything worked fine it was easy to install aswell which is a bonus, I always use the 4 usb 3.0 ports which are a bonus on such a budget motherboard they have never gone wrong on me once and have always worked flawlessly/whilst the pc is off, The computer has 6 SATA 2 ports so you can run loads of HDD's from this motherboard with no problems, I like the fact that the computer has 4 slots for ram and is capable of housing 32gb of ram this is good for someone who's computer is under a lot of stress at all times and needs that performance boost, There are few budget motherboards like this that support 32Gb of ram so that is a massive bonus. I would like to now talk about the motherboards slot for CPU's this MOBO has the latest technology as far as AM motherboards are concerned, It is an AM3+ motherboard which means it supports nearly all of AMD's FX/Athalon series processors this is a massive bonus for a board that is so cheap and this could sway you to buy this board compared to something else.
Lets talk about the on board graphics this card comes with a VERY basic AMD 760G chipset which is the same as an AMD radeon 3000 this graphics card is perfect for a user that doesn't need/plan on playing games at all and just uses the computer as a multimedia device that's what I did. There is one full size PCI Express slot so if you do think you need to play games on your computer and are relying on just the built in GPU I would definitely recommend that you purchase a graphics card and slot it in on the PCI express slot.
There's only one more thing to write about and that's the power, This board requires very little power to run and does so effectively.

Complaints about the MOBO.
There's only one issue I found with this mother board and that is that the board itself doesn't have a single slot for SATA 3 drives for say an SSD which I would have liked.
That's the only complaint I have and that is as to be expected when you buy a budget board with so many other features.
Any problems I've had.
I've only had one problem with this board which was my own fault anyway, and that is when I was unplugging something from the board I shorted out the motherboard with a cable that still had power running through it because the PSU was switched on.

Any advise I can give.
Whatever you do keep the instruction manual that comes with the board as it has a lot of useful info such as, the complete board manifold and where everything plugs in, A complete universal instruction on how to fit and secure your mother board to your case as well as how to hook all the power connectors up.
Please before you try and do any work on the motherboard itself do read the manual as like I said above it has some really important info and also it has all the necessary precautions you should take before touching the motherboard to risk shorting the board out with static etc.

Final verdict about the motherboard.
As you can tell by the first paragraph this mother board does come with a lot of features look above for a breif view of them all, And for a £50 budget this motherboard comes with nearly all of the features you can expect from an am3+ motherboard I would have to give this motherboard a 4/5 rating not a 5/5 for the pure reason that I would like to see SATA 3 to run my SSD from if they release a new board with that in this price range I will give that 5/5 I think you could even decrease something else say the ram to only holding 16GB for the sake of adding SATA 3 to the board.

I am sorry that this review is just a wall of text but I do hope that this review has made your decision on buying this board easy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, 5 April 2013
Was after a Motherboard for a small new build. Looking to put an FX8120, HD6850, and 16gb of RAM in to start with. Came across this. Never had a Gigabyte mobo before, so was a new experience. The Bios is extremely easy to tweak if you need to, and runs the Processor at 3.4ghz as stock. Basically, for the money, its great

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic bios, 28 May 2013
I installed a hard disk which had an operating system already installed. The system worked first time and the bios made the necessary adjustments automatically; really impressive!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 29 Mar. 2013
Wanted a new motherboard to future proof my computer, decided to give this a whirl. Excellent quality from a well now and reliable manufacturer. It is a lower to mid-range motherboard but is perfect for a general use or simple gaming pc. I would buy from Gigabyte again when I come to upgrade in a few years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Upgradefor my sons computer, 18 April 2014
My son asked me to buy this on his behalf to complete his upgrade for his current desk top. My son has gradually been upgrading his computer and increasing it's specto dealwith his new games, and this item was the final pieceof the jigsaw. What can I say does exactly what he wanted, he is more than happy with the performance. My son has advised me that h woulddefinately use this supplier for allother purchases. The delivery was quick, the item well packed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Cheap Board, 20 May 2014
I needed a cheap motherboard to fit a AM3 CPU but easily upgradeable to the AM3+ sockets.
After doing my research, I found this motherboard to be rather popular for a budget gaming PC built so I went for it.

After receiving the board, I was rather impressed how well the quality is and how it all fitted inside of my machine. This motherboard ran a AMD FX-6300 without any issues or BIOS upgrades.

However, I will note that if you want to over clock the CPU, this board isn't for you. AMD chips are well known for its super over clocking speeds and sadly, there are boards which cannot handle much more than around 4.1ghz (as the AMD FX6300 as a turbo speed of 4.1ghz).

Sadly, I changed the board as I wanted more options for over clocking and a ATX size due to my CPU coolant.

Overall - Great board, great price, cannot fault what so ever.

Gigabyte SKT-AM3 78LMT-USB3 Motherboard