4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, despite the limited market
When Apple first announced 'Thunderbolt', you could when forgiven for questioning just how relevant this interface will be in the next decade. Afterall, if USB 3.0 already offers a speed upgrade from 2.0 and uses the same plug-socket, what incentives are there to make the transition?

Well, Thunderbolt has a few tricks up its fibre-optic sleeves, but you should...
Published 16 months ago by Picard

3.0 out of 5 stars Could do more
Using the Belkin express dock is very handy for getting more and more modern connections from your computer. I have set it up on my desk at work and use it with my Macbook Air. Each morning connecting it to this dock (buy a cable as Belkin don't include one.)

The first and biggest step up for me was getting a gigabit network socket; I have been using one of my...
Published 15 months ago by Chris Hoare

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Great kit but why make me buy the Thunderbolt cable separately!, 5 Nov. 2014
Very handy bit of kit.
I find this extremely handy because I have a somewhat complicated set up but often take my Macbook out for various bits of work.
Overall, this allows me to just plug in my power cable and Thunderbolt cable and everything works perfectly.
My External monitor, hard drives, sound monitors, hard drives, ethernet and various USB peripherals all plug into the dockm which is hidden away under my desk to reduce clutter and cables on my desk. I no longer have to plug in half a dozen cables everytime I come home. It has really helped me to keep a neat workspace and as I have a late 2011 macbook, I have USB2 and not USB3 built in so this has allowed me to plug in USB3 hard drives to speed up file transfers etc...

Only let down is that this could either be a bit cheaper or actually include a thunderbolt cable which it is useless without.
I bought a Belkin 1M thunderbolt cable to use with this and it works great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product - overcomes Apple's poor input/output options on current Retina Mac Laptops - recommended, 24 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Belkin Thunderbolt Express Dock (Accessory)
Great product, recommended. We bought a new (last year) retina model Mac laptop, sadly even the MackBookPro models now have very, very few input/output connectors (compared to the previous non-retina generations we've used in the past). This super product is a good choice to help alleviate the annoyance caused by Apples parsimony albeit at the cost of a box with yet more cables!

In use, the dock performs well allowing the simultaneous connection of multiple disk drives to allow image processing and backup and also provides traditional (analogue 3.5mm) headphone and microphone sockets -again overcoming Apple's poor i/o choices yet again.

It does come with a mains power supply so bear this in mind if using it in a semi-portable (e.g. vacation) situation - the benefit is, bus-powered devices work well with it - at the 'cost' of the PSU space when packing and a mains socket.

5.0 out of 5 stars Business Class, 22 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Belkin Thunderbolt Express Dock (Accessory)
I bought the dock because I had run out of USB sockets on my 2011 17" MacBook Pro. I'm glad that I did. I take my MacBook on the road occasionally, the rest of the time it sits on my desk - with ethernet, FW 800, and USB connections.

All the connections I have tested work exactly as well through the dock as they do directly. Ethernet through the dock has the advantage of connection and activity LEDs, giving assurance that the MacBook Pro does not. FW 800 disks (a big issue for me) seem to work as fast with the dock as they do directly.

Not a game changer, but in the end, it’s like the difference between travelling coach or travelling business class - you get there at the same time, but one makes you feel more confident.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Excellent Product, 6 Aug. 2014
P. Shahinian - See all my reviews
This review is from: Belkin Thunderbolt Express Dock (Accessory)
This solved all my connection problems in one go. Despite all the many ports on the back of my 27in iMac I still needed more....and this device does the job. I've had it now for about 6 months and it has worked faultlessly. There was some jiggery pokery initially as Thunderbolt daisy chains seem extremely selective in the order in which one has to connect the devices. The Belkin sits in the chain behind three external drives ....and in front of one of my additional external monitors. Using the USB ports off the Belkin is ideal as well.

Certainly I could not do without this device for my set up.

I note what people say about the price.....but compared to the iMac investment it was small beer really. Not having a cable included was pretty poor, but I ordered one at the same time as the Belkin when I read the small print. I confess I bought the cable off eBay!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great...except, 20 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Belkin Thunderbolt Express Dock (Accessory)
I bought this and I love it. The new Macbook pro Retina comes with surprisingly few connections which is fine if you upgrade all your other devices to thunderbolt ones, but this dock makes a one cable solution which keeps the desktop tidy, and creating a simple Automator app allows me to safely eject all my external drives quickly and easily so I can just unplugged the one cable and go.

Now the exception, Belkin make a big deal that this unit only weighs 3lb, so I was a bit surprised when I got a package weighing about 10lbs! Turns out it was all power pack weight, the power adapter is massive for such a small device, coiled up in the box it is the same size as the dock! Plus it takes up more than 50% of the box, and the dock only runs of 12V, apple manage to get a 10V adapter into the size of a 3 pin plug. So I recommend (at your own risk) doing what I did and find an old compact 12V adapter and use that, it works fine (for me).

5.0 out of 5 stars Handsome and versatile, 14 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Belkin Thunderbolt Express Dock (Accessory)
My only niggle with this very handsome and versatile powered hub is that it has only three USB 3 ports (one more would have been perfect), beside its two Thunderbolt, one FireWire 800 and Ethernet ports, plus microphone and headphone sockets. There is a channel through the middle of the hub, through which two cables could be passed to access the rear directly from the front. A Thunderbolt Data Cable is required to connect the hub to your computer, in my case an Apple iMac, and this has to be purchased separately, as none is included. It powers all the ports; it is not necessary to have a USB cable as well. All in all, I am very happy with the hub, especially its looks, as it is very well suited to pair up with an iMac.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what I needed it to - act as ..., 27 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Belkin Thunderbolt Express Dock (Accessory)
Does exactly what I needed it to - act as a central hub for all my outboard gear for my Macbook. One thunderbolt cable in and my whole rig comes to life; WD Duo RAID disk, Scarlett 2i4 audio interface, DisplayPort-dependent monitor, ethernet, keyboard, etc. I only have one complaint - when I tested the WD Duo in striped RAID mode, it throttled the speed to ~130MBps, whereas I got ~240MBps when connected directly to the machine. Still, I decided to play safe and use mirrored RAID, so no problem for me. A real piece of genius if you are regularly docking a MacBook, and worth every penny.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very useful hub, 22 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Belkin Thunderbolt Express Dock (Accessory)
This works well in that it helps me to keep running with legacy peripherals on my new iMac. For instance I have several Firewire peripherals which would be difficult to connect to the iMac with the paucity of FW ports. In addition, a single Lightning port on my iMac is now usable more easily for syncing with my MacBook Air and its external (Lightning) drive. Finally, to have several more USB ports has been very useful.

It's a pity the power from the USB ports seems to be inadequate for some tasks, such as powering an external drive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really cool device. Everyone complains that it gets hot but ..., 28 Feb. 2015
Mr B M G (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Belkin Thunderbolt Express Dock (Accessory)
Really cool device. Everyone complains that it gets hot but I dont see that problem at all.
I have the following items connected: ethernet, a Thunderbolt to HDMI to my monitor, another thunderbolt to a 4TB external disk, Speakers connected via Jack, Webcam connected via USB,. All of this via one thunderbolt cable to my Macbook Air. Works flawlessly. I am giving it 5 star because it really is a must device if you use a Macbook Air with lots of connected devices. But it is expensive and IMHO needs one more daisychainable Thunderbolt socket.

1.0 out of 5 stars BELKIN THUNDERBOLT EXPRESS DOCK, 2 April 2014
This review is from: Belkin Thunderbolt Express Dock (Accessory)
The following is 'My Opinion' you may have a better experience.

Where to start? First 'Thank You Simon G at Amazon for your help yesterday - it's in the Post today'.

I Should Have Read The Reviews!

Before you consider ~ Read The Reviews!

I'd have saved Time, Money Refund Wait, Stress in Contacting Amazon.

I have an Early 2011 MBPro 17" which I needed USB 3.0 for. I thought these Docks had eSata at one point too? They don't but eSata is a good standby along with Thunderbolt & USB 3.0. It's an uncomfortable shape neither fitting to the MBP nor anything else - it should have been rectangular bit like 'That Hole In The Ground... song' to match the products it was likely to be used with (my opinion of course).

It has FW800 well this is good if you still use FW and I do via the Recording Studio.

It should have had In/Out Thunderbolt: More would have made for a more Practical Hub - I mean it is a Hub when all is said and done.

It has a 1Gbit Ethernet Port - OK if you need it - I don't but there might be a time!

It has Audio In/Out good for the latest MBPs or iMac etc but the Mini still retains both as does my MBP so no real use there.

It doesn't have HDML.

As mentioned It doesn't have eSata.

It doesn't include Thunderbolt Cable! Why at their Volume of Sales they would be cheap enough to include at this price!

Nor an 'Operating/Descriptive Manual!

It does, however, include a 'Cable Management Channel' which accommodates the single 'Self-Purchased' Thunderbolt Cable ~ So very useful ~ Not!

On my MBP the USB Hard Drives were there one minute gone the next requiring a complete 'Re-Boot' of the MBP - this was on misc of Hard Drives most Self Powered: It will not power USB Powered HDs ~ Pointless for most 2.5" HDs today.

The only supplied accessory - A Brick of a Power Supply! Literally a Brick - weighs a ton ~ massively heavy Power Cable as well ~ Yet can't Power through USB Ports enough power HDs!

As you see I have only given 1 Star for a 'Pointless' Product,

I suggest Belkin you should read your Customer Reviews and make a Working 'Final Product'.

Perhaps too late now Thunderbolt 2 will shortly be the Thunderbolt mainstay.

Michael Dixon