5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible Cans, 19 Jun 2013
Paul Fillery (Worcester, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Wow, not sure where to start with these babies. How about the packaging, which oozes quality and class and is surely a sign of the care Yamaha have taken with this product. A big, heavy box contains the phones themselves, 2 cables (one with in-line remote for Apple devices and one without), a cleaning cloth, and a rigid (and very large) carry case which can hold everything. Nice. The phones can be extended, but I found they fit on my head without any adjustment - which is a first for headphones like this. The cups fit my ears perfectly, and eliminate virtually all outside news. Do not wear these while riding a bike! Having said that, they are very heavy - I would suggest more suited to home use than posing around town.

As for the sound quality: amazing. Certainly the best I've heard from any headphones up to this price, better than my excellent Zoros and way better than those oh-so-trendy Beats ones. Plenty of bass without being OTT and without affecting the higher end, and with a deep, full sound. These are proper lights off, lie back, eyes closed, and drift headphones. I tried some dub, techno, synth pop, classical, ambient and a selection of indie bands on these - and every genre was reproduced wonderfully, with sparkling guitars and crisp vocals. For home audio, these are truly outstanding.

One thing I particularly loved: the fact that you can plug the cable into either the left or right phone. Simple idea, but why hasn't anyone done that before?

One thing I disliked: while you won't be able to hear the outside world, they will certainly be able to hear you because the leakage from these is surprisingly bad. Wear these on the train and you will get plenty of tuts and stern glances.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best headphones I've ever owned., 22 May 2013
Null Unit (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
On first inspection the first thing that immediately hit me was the quality of these headphones. They are rock-solid and have a high-end professional fit and finish. These won't be snapping in two any time soon.

The sound quality is astounding. The cups cover the entire ear and allow you to get completely immersed in the music. A common problem with headphones of this style are too much bass to compensate for general poor sound quality. This isn't the case here. There is a deep, rich bass but it is complemented by crystal clear high end audio and it makes listening to music a delight.

I was concerned these would be quite heavy and therefore get uncomfortable after an hour or two of use but this isn't a problem with these headphones. After listening to music for a few hours my ears were still intact and I had no annoying pressure pains that are common with cheaper headsets that aren't made to be worn.

Overall I am thoroughly impressed and would definitely recommend these headphones. I will continue to use them as my primary headphones going forward.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding headphones from Yamaha, 12 Aug 2013
I have to say these headphones from Yamaha,the Pro 500 model are simply outstanding,from the sound quality to the build,they are a joy.They come in some great and well thought out packaging and you can see as you open the box a lot of effort has been put in here.The headphones themselves look and feel fantatsic,very durable and most certainly stylish with the Yamaha tuning fork logo proudly displayed on each headphone.Yes these are a quality product.
They sound wonderfull,simple as that.I use them with my ipod and psvita and have no complaints whatsoever,playing Wipeout on the vita with The volume high has to be heard to believed,awesome!
Negatives? Yes they are expensive but i certainly dont regret purchasing these,they are well woth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what you expect from a leading manufacturer, 10 April 2014
Well I have owned quite a number of headphones, from around ear, to in ear ones. I really like listening to music and decided to up-grade from the Sennheiser in ear ones to a more traditional around ear phones.
I first went for a pair of Denon AHD600 headphones which were truly astounding, but they developed a fault with the connector cable so got a refund through Amazon and sent them back.
I then tried out the Bose OE2 headphones, which were really rubbish in sound quality.. much to my annoyance.
So I finally bought these Yamaha Pro500s and was pleasantly surprised at just how good they are. The build quality out shines the Denon pair I owned, the sound quality of the Yamahas' outclasses any other headphones that I have heard and owned.
I would thoroughly recommend these headphones, am really pleased with all the various types of music I listen to, from classical, pop, rock, trance, dance, house.
5 stars from me, built really well, they are foldable, comes with a really nice, quality case, cleaning cloth and 2 leads.

5.0 out of 5 stars Astonishing performance, 23 May 2013
Planet G "stendec-306" (Berkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Put very simply - these headphones are a revelation in terms of performance - Stunningly good response and dynamics across the whole frequency range, from low sub-bass to shimmering high end frequencies, the response of these drivers has to be heard to be believed.

My partner tried the headphones and listened to one of her favourite tracks - Life on Mars, David Bowie. Her words - "these are probably the best set of headphones I've ever heard"
I would have to agree with her on that score - the first track I tried was "Highway Star" by Deep Purple, directly from my Ipod. It was a revelation - it sounded as though the band were playing inches away from me - the Hammond B3 of Jon Lord shimmered through the track and Ritchie Blackmore's guitar solo sounded angry and menacing. What an introduction to the headphones.

Some audiophiles have stated that Yamaha have overdone the bass response on these headphones - well I'd have to disagree with that assessment somewhat - whilst it is true that directly from the Ipod most of the EQ settings result in prominent bass, I have also just purchased the F11 headphone amplifier. Plugging the Yamaha headphones into this (connecting to the ipod through the docking socket) showed that actually Yamaha have managed to create a very well balanced sound profile - yes, there's plenty of bass if you want it but it is not excessive or noticeable. What is amazing is that given the great definition at low end frequencies, nothing goes missing at the mid or high end - and that is what really separates these headphones from the pack.
Riders on the Storm by the Doors never sounded quite so good, and the keyboard parts by the late Ray Manzarek sounded beautiful, controlled, sparkling and intricate.

The only analogy I can make about the way these `phones sound is that it is like watching HD TV for the first time after watching years of SD movies. When I sampled all the other pairs of headphones in the house after listening to the Yamahas, it was like going back to an SD picture - dullness, missing textures, fuzziness.... I'm not giving these up or lending them to anyone - on performance alone they must be worth at least twice their sales price. Buy an F11 headphone amplifier to go with them and you will have an unbelievably good audio set-up.
Yamaha have also spent some time creating a quality feel to this product - the headphones are well packaged - the box they're contained in feels quality and opens up to reveal the carrying case with headphones wrapped inside, along with an owners manual, cleaning cloth, two connecting leads and two Yamaha transfers. As you open up the box, your expectations are raised by the quality that has gone into presenting the headphones - and normally the expectations aren't entirely met, leading to disappointment. The carrying case is large - enough room to pack some accessories and still have space left. It has a soft carrying handle and also a belt attachment although the case is a bit large to attach to a belt unobtrusively.

The cables are ribbon type flat cables - they are actually much better than the standard round cross section cables as they don't twist easily and fold away easily after use - I wasn't sure that I'd get on with them but in fact they are just fine to use. There are two cables - one of the cables has a control that allows pause/fast forward/reverse and volume control of an Apple IOS device - worked fine with my IPod - note that the functionality doesn't work if you use an external amplifier wired to the IOS device.

The headphones feel well engineered, high quality and certainly look the part. The Yamaha label on the headband is rather larger than I'd have preferred - it feels a bit like carrying a small advertising board around. The size of these phones is something else though - I normally have to extend all of the headphones we have at home - but I didn't have to extend these. My partner had difficulty getting them to stay in one place on her smaller head and had to hold onto them. For me, they were very comfortable to listen to - others with smaller heads my find it less of a comfortable experience though. I was able to wear them for 2 hours without any appreciable discomfort so as far as I'm concerned, they do a great job in that regard - but as usual this is a very personal assessment what you find comfortable others may not.

The sound isolation is reasonable without being as good as one of the other closed headphone sets we've got - and my partner tells me that there is some sound leakage from them ( to be honest I didn't notice this very much when she was using them).

These headphones do seem expensive at first glance - and they are obviously aimed at being a high end product - however, in terms of performance they are, simply a beautiful revolution that you won't want to let out of your grasp - yes, they are an investment, but they are so good that the investment is bound to last a very long time and provide a huge amount of enjoyment whatever kinds of music you are into.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 17 Sep 2013
sound great
look great
feel great
only a slight bass boost which is a lovely change from beats and the norm.
great sound isolation

only drawback is that the headband is quiet large so most will have it on its smallest setting

5.0 out of 5 stars epic ear googles, 22 Dec 2013
This review is from: Yamaha HPH-PRO500 Headphones - Blue (Electronics)
Check out the reviews for the black option of the pro500's
can't add anything, just they are epic
voiced for ipad/iphone i.e. streamed music
beats users, time to upgrade?
peace out

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent pair of headphones, 8 Feb 2014
This review is from: Yamaha HPH-PRO500 Headphones - Blue (Electronics)
The packaging of these headphones are very good, it comes in a nice white box, very well made.
The pro 500 are excellent in the terms of sound, very well made, slightly uncomfortable after long hours of use, which is to be expected, but over all, there fantastic!!!!

Yamaha HPH-PRO500 Headphones - Blue