4.0 out of 5 stars A good choice for travelling music-lovers!, 24 Jan 2013
Mr. Ian Thomas "Swarley" (Cambridgeshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: SuperTooth Melody Wireless Stereo Headset - Black (Accessory)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Until now, I've been listening to music on the move using a Bluetooth adapter which has a normal stereo headphone socket on it. The advantage of this is you can use any headphones you like with it. The disadvantage is that you still have a cable flapping about between the headphones and the adapter. It does give you a microphone so you can make/take calls hands-free, but I mainly just listen to MP3s so I was mainly interested in the audio quality of the SuperTooth Melody compared to using my favourite in-ear buds with my Bluetooth adapter.

On the whole, I was pleasantly surprised by the performance of the Melody headset. Here are the positives:

- Overall a very nice sound quality, with excellent clarity, no noticeable background noise, and a warm texture to the music.
- Responsive bass, but not too overwhelming.
- Crisp treble, but not too tinny or harsh.
- Comfortable to wear, with an adjustable head-band and twisting padded ear-pieces which can be twisted for a good fit.
- Good portability, with a lightweight but solid build quality and a black material carry pouch included.
- Quick charge time (about 45 mins for a full charge).
- The controls on the right ear-piece make it easy to play/pause music, change tracks, and increase/decrease the volume. They operate fine and the layout makes it easy to feel for the right button while wearing the headset.

However, there are a few downsides which stop the Melody from getting the full 5 stars from me:

- The charging cable is a non-standard type of USB cable, with a narrow pin that plugs into one side of the headset to recharge. I would have preferred it if they had a used a standard type of cable (e.g. micro USB) so that I didn't have to carry round this special cable for recharging at work or wherever I am. And where do I buy a replacement if this cable is lost/broken?
- The ear pads are slightly too small for me. This is personal preference, but the ear pads sit over the edge of my ears, rather than round the outside, and I would find them more comfortable if they were slightly larger. They are still comfortable, and I guess they kept them small to make them light and portable, so perhaps this is just a compromise.

I can't comment on call quality - I don't really make hands-free calls so it's not something I could really judge or compare to other headsets.

I would definitely recommend these to anyone looking for a decent pair of wireless headphones to use on-the-move, and perhaps make the occasional hands-free call. They sound good, they're easy to operate, and I hope they will last quite a while.

4.0 out of 5 stars Look nice and work well, 25 Feb 2013
Warleybear (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is the first set of wireless Bluetooth headphones that I have owned. They were simple to set up with my Ipod and phone. To my tastes, the sound quality was very good with no `drop outs' that I sometimes get with my car music system when using Bluetooth. The fit of the headphones was comfortable. I have tried the hands free system on them with my phone, which the first time I used threw me a bit - but again it works well. I've certainly had a good few hours use out of them on a charge of around 1 hour. It is a shame that they don't use a standard mini USB fitting to minimise the number of cables you have to carry round. The charge cable is a USB to a round plug not found on any other phone or camera I own. I can't vouch for the high end `over 200' headphone market, but these headphones look nice and the sound quality with hands free phone ability is good. Certainly worth considering.

4.0 out of 5 stars Could Do A Little Better, 24 Jan 2013
IM35461 "IM35461" (East Sussex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Up till now I have been using a 7dayshop R7 Sport Series Bluetooth Wireless Stereo Headphones / Headset With Built in Microphone - Ideal for use with Google Nexus, Apple ipod, iPad 2, iPad 3, iPhone 4, 4s, 5, HTC One X, Samsung Galaxy S2, S3, Skype, Msn, PS3 - Black - Eco Packaging & ... (previous version) which have worked well in all ways but could be louder and only pair with one device.

The SuperTooth ones pair with up to eight devices which is ideal for me (only one can be active with the headphones at a time) but in many other ways the product falls short.

1. Has a custom USB lead to charge so you must take this with you.
2. High frequency / treble levels seem a little excessive but can be corrected if your tablet / smart phone has a graphic equaliser function.
3. Track forward / back buttons are fiddly to use (very small buttons).
4. When you power them up my finger pressing the button tends to cover the on LED so you don't know if you have held the button down long enough (hold them upside down is the solution to this problem).

Good Points

1. Louder than my other headphones play.
2. Pair with eight devices.
3. Carry pouch.
4. Battery life.

I would say the sound quality is similar, perhaps a bit more bass but these as I already mentioned seem to exaggerate higher frequencies.

I have used them with my Nexus 7, HTC Wildfire S A510e and iPad 2 (with iPad 2 you have to click on connect under settings to linkup, with the Android devices it just connects and I guess this is an Apple feature).

4.0 out of 5 stars Well specced headphones for the money., 23 Jan 2013
Dicko (North Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've been using these a while now and have to say, they are better than I thought they would be. This is the first set of Bluetooth headphones i've used and I was expecting the sound to be a lot worse, but it was actually quite good.

Pairing the phones was easy and took less than a minute to set up. You can pause and advance/rewind tracks as well using the headphones which is useful when your phone is in your pocket for example. There's even a microphone which means you can use them as a headset for gaming or taking calls. They are comfy too as the padding is nice and they are not too heavy. The phones don't fit around your ears by enclosing them, but sit on them so you can probably gauge how big they are.

My only gripe is the sound. Although it is quite good, it just doesn't feel as well composed a 'normal set of headphones'. I also use some Sony MDRZX600's which are a lot cheaper than these, but sound much better. The bass is quite good though, but it sounds a bit 'detached' from the rest of the music.

So if you're after the best sound quality, you're not probably going to be that pleased with these, but if you're after OK sound quality and a lot of convenience, these are definitely worth a look.

4.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable and easy to use, 21 Jan 2013
Dragon0303 (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Personally I've never liked using headphones much and have always tried to avoid them over the years, preferring to be naturally surrounded by sound, but unfortunately for me there are times when they're necessary. I tend to find the in-ear type of headphones very uncomfortable after even a short period of time so instantly this headset wins the comfort test; it seems very light to me (although admittedly I have nothing much to compare it with) so no there's no irritation to the inner or outer parts of my ears even when wearing them for an extended time. Obviously, being wireless is a bonus too, no annoying wires to get in the way or to pull out; maybe I'll be swayed towards wearing headphones more often after all.

The bluetooth appears to work pretty well and I've had no problem using this headset with my PC, TV and phone - even taking a couple of calls on it, which is pretty handy, although I can't imagine me venturing outdoors wearing them instead of my usual phone handsfree earpiece.

Sound quality seems okay, maybe not bassy enough for me, but again, I'm not the best judge of listening to music through headphones since it's just not something I do. But still, if headphones are your thing and you don't need a dedicated set for the style of music you like, there are plenty of positives with this set and I actually don't mind wearing them now and again, which is a fair recommendation in itself.

SuperTooth Melody Wireless Stereo Headset - Black