5.0 out of 5 stars Better than I thought it would be!!!!
Published 10 months ago by M.O.Q

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Peter David's Best
Published 18 months ago by Eric P

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than I thought it would be!!!!, 14 Oct 2013
This review is from: Pulling Up Stakes (Kindle Edition)
I brought this book shortly after Peter David had a stroke in order to support his recovery. When I first started reading this vampire book I thought it was ok but a bit boring, however the story picks up and in the end I was gripped to see how Vince would try to get out of a bad situation in central park and try to control his actions! Great book but slow start for me, can't wait to start volume 2! Also glad Peter David is now on the mend!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Peter David's Best, 13 Feb 2013
This review is from: Pulling Up Stakes (Kindle Edition)
The premise of this novel had potential for humour or drama, but unfortunately I found neither. I read it to the end hoping it would improve but really it did not seem to be going anywhere. The hero is the son of a long established family of vampire hunters and is a vampire who faces an arranged marriage with another vampire hunter. And that is about it. I won't be reading part two.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great first half of the story, 30 Jan 2013
J. R. Johnson-Rollings (West Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pulling Up Stakes (Kindle Edition)
The first half of Peter David's Pulling Up Stakes introduces us to Vince, a vampire hunter with a deadly secret - he is a vampire himself.

David builds a surprisingly rich world in a short space of time, giving his characters round edges and creating a tale that is easily believable. It's an interesting concept to set up what appears to be a straightforward story, but becomes increasingly complicated throughout.

The author's usual sense of humour shines through, filling the first-person narrative with real-world references that amuse at the expense of other popular vampire franchises.

It was great to have something short yet memorable to read through over a weekend and I've already downloaded part two to continue reading when I next have an odd e-book moment.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a pain in the neck, 24 Jan 2013
This review is from: Pulling Up Stakes (Kindle Edition)
Written by Peter David, who is probably most famous for his comic book work including Incredible Hulk and X-Factor, this tells the story of Vince Hammond, a vampire hunter in the mode of Buffy or Van Helsing. He comes from a long line of vampire killers, but unfortuantly has been turned into a vampire by one of his potential victims.

The story tells of how he is trying to hide his new "lifestyle" from his family, and mixes the authors usual comedy and drama with a story that moves on quickly.

The main issue with the story is that it is only the first part of the adventure, and it just stops. The second part is available however but just be aware that you will need to get both to have the full story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 14 Aug 2014
Baldpagan "Baldpagan" (Cambridgeshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pulling Up Stakes (Kindle Edition)
This was even better than the first one... Clever story, one I need to read more of.

Pulling Up Stakes