on 9 May 2013
This book is purely for the UK market which was important to me.
It is simple, logical and makes sense. I should say I am not entirely sure I would go with the author's recommendation to go for 1 bed flats but that does not detract from my opinion as I still feel the overall advice is sound. It provides good practical advice on the process of property selection, using various websites and other straightforward advice which makes it worth the price. He does not make any outrageous boasts or daft recommendations like buying bargains at auctions - which surely is the preserve for only the really experienced property people rather than the people who might be interested in buying such a book.
on 1 March 2015
Loved the simplicity of this book. Loved the nerdiness of formulae and his approach to internet research.
A big , drawback for me was that the issue of service/maintenance charge in leasehold properties appeared to be ignored. He suggests paying for a fully managed letting service so with that and the maintenance charge I think you might struggle to cover the mortgage.
He does not have an exit strategy. He assumes prices will continue to rise and he will recoup his deposit by refinancing
His strategy undoubtedly worked during the long property boom of the mid-nineties to 2008 especially as there was plenty of easy credit to be had. Not so easy now. Maybe that's why he is writing books and running a subscription based website.
Despite my reservations I did enjoy this book and I would recommend it for people like myself who are just thinking of taking the plunge.
on 26 April 2013
I've often been frustrated with property investment books as they are either full of theory with nothing of practical value, or they are based 100% on the US market. Given that the UK market is very different to America (in fact, I believe every country has a unique property market) it was great to find a book that not only is 100% focused on the UK, but that is also full of practical tips that you can put to work immediately.

As an added bonus, the book is well well written and well formatted for the Kindle and I would strongly recommend it to all UK investors.
on 26 December 2013
Sure, it may be written as if a garrulous geezer in the pub is giving you the skinny on a slightly dodgy deal, but don't let the writing style put you off!

This pamphlet is a simple and great formula which will hook you in and have you glued to RightMove, with purpose, hawking for your first investment. If a practical guide for beginners is what you need, and you've got a couple of spare hours, then this should be right up your street...did you see what I did there?
on 23 March 2014
The book demonstrates a process to find flats at a discount price. It uses property portals and area stats portals to provide the initial 'sort'. The author concentrates on 1 bed flats (don't think this is fully explained why). Because of this the potential yields will always be reduced due to the service charges. This doesn't seem to bother the author but an explanation of why would help.
I wouldn't pay full price for this book for the information it contained.
on 22 May 2015
Definately worth a read, I've read a lot of books regarding future prospects, property investment and stock investments of late before taking action myself, and this book has still taught me things even after the amount I've read lately. Several tips included here I will most certainly be using in the future. I won't be looking down the seaside route as this chap does, but his approaches and methods can certainly be used no matter where you are attempting property investment. If I could 4.5 star I would, just not quite up to 5 stars for me, but definately worth the read!!
on 27 February 2014
It was an "ok" read and could have been better if more in-depth details were provided. Majority of the things here are already known to the public.
on 31 January 2015
The author may have done well but I fear that is more by luck than design. The writing style is pretty hard to follow in places and the pseudo-economic arguments used to back up claims about the housing industry are basic and flawed.

The recommendations to buy a property BMV (below market value) using an iffy process and then tricking a mortgage company into giving your property a higher value is frankly dangerous and could lead to people being over-leveraged if their is a downturn.

There is so little focus on rental return that an increase in interest rates could see people unable to cover their mortgage payments if they follow his advice. Also, using a letting agent, who consumes up to 15% of rent will almost certainly mean any mortgage payments will not be covered by the rent, unless you've got a truly cracking property, or rental prices are on the rise.

There are much better books out there. I suggest Richard Oldacres book, 'how to buy to let property properly' as a far more balanced approach.
on 24 July 2015
Far too simple
No real tips
You will find more info on simple web search on this topic than this book
Save your money
on 2 April 2015
Short book which lacks of more elaboration on some subjects, like financing properties. The author makes some good points, although some times he tries to "force" his perspective without considering other factors. I disagree with many points, but in general, it is a good read to understand different perspectives from different investors. What I found very useful in this book, were the recommendations about how to research about an area that you want to invest.