Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.99

on 16 May 2010
I ordered this book as a present for my husband as he loves Piers Morgan and is an avid follower of his Mail on Sunday column, he has also read all his previous books.

When I saw Piers had a 'new book' released, I thought great, perfect as a present and promptly ordered it, only to discover when it arrived that it wasn't a new book at all but a re-release of a previous book with diary entries from 2006-2008 - hardly relevant! Partly my fault for not looking into it - sorely disappointed.

Please dont buy if you have already got the previous books, shame on you Piers!!

P.S. the only reason I am giving this 1 star is because it wont let me give 0
Piers Morgan, ex tabloid editor has re-invented himself as a talent show judge, celebrity and interviewer. This book publishes his diaries from 2006-2008, and much of the content has already been published in the UK's Mail on Sunday.
Morgan is a guy that people love to hate, this originated from his aggressive style as editor of The Mirror, but he now plays on that reputation to be a 'bad guy', but reading this book will make you jealous of his lifestyle and friends, but I suspect you will like him a little bit more.
The book is part gossip and lifestyle about the celebrities he meets, a smattering of the interviews he has done for GQ Magazine and his views on the world, politics and America at the time Obama came to prominence as a Presidential candidate.
Now, I am not going to pretend this is deep stuff, but some of it is deeper then you might think, don't forget Morgan is a journalist and certainly no fool. Other reviewers here have mentioned most of the content is not fresh (true) and not enjoyed the views on America and Obama, but I still think this is a very entertaining package. The author does not take himself too seriously while obviously having the time of his life. There is a self awareness that is both refreshing and amusing and he shares many laugh out loud moments. I actually enjoyed his view on America and his perceptive views on what makes America tick and how he came to understand and become fond of a country that he initially considered brash and arrogant.
So this is a little more then celebrity gossip as the true journalist does shine through on more then one occasion. This is entertaining stuff.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 May 2010
I have read only one previous book by the author, so, unlike some other reviewers, was not disappointed that this collection of diary entries is said to be an edited version of what has been previously released. I judged it as it stands, on its own meritsas a read.

Morgan is now a British and American TV star, judging the sort of talent shows like America's Got Talent and The X Factor of which I only heard of fairly recently (and I do not believe Gordon Brown who is said, in this book, to watch one of these. Rubbish, surely (gulp!...he was the Prime Minister for God's sake!...and he watches that c**p?).

Morgan does not mince words yet I have not read that any oof those mentionned in the book have sued, despite the partly libellous content. There again, some of what he says about people would be regarded legally as not libellous because "mere vulgar insult". Most of those whom he castigates are those whom I myself dislike (albeit at a distance, having not met or even seen close-up most of them): Jeremy Clarkson; Kate Moss; Cherie Blair ("grasping, rude, Scouse banshee"); George Osborne (ex-cocaine abuser, he pretty much said directly in a previous diary); David Cameron (ditto re. the cocaine abuse; also thought to be "out of his depth" and who "does not understand the economic problems" etc) and who is plainly thought unfit for office --I agree!-- even as compared with that facile little bully, Osborne; Cameron also called a "smooth-faced, affable, Old Etonian snake-oil salesman"). If only people had listened! Having said that, Morgan seems enamoured of Gordon Brown and, by implication, The Party Formerly Known As Labour, which makes me question Morgan's political, as distinct from journalistic, nose.

Morgan, despite coming from modest origins and with a brother who is a serving officer in the Army, lives in the glitzy world of the mass media, politics and "celebrity", to whom a salary of, say, £200,000 or so is "peanuts", as the precious dead sheep Channel 4 newsreader Jon Snow implies to Morgan at a bar, talking about Boris Johnson. In fact Morgan seems to spend a lot of time in bars, often meeting the same people, or so it seems: BBC newsreader bimbos ("thanks for thhe half million pound salaries, licence-payers!"), newspaper people, TV people. Morgan has "front" such as rarely seen (especially in a person of British origins) and has little inhibition in asking awkward and sometimes plain rude questions. He is pretty tough, I would say.

There are more serious aspects to the book and there is a quite long interview with Donald Trump, whom Morgan admires and who is now world-famous, though when I went first as an adult to the USA in 1989, few in the UK had even heard of him (I hadn't... which was a source of amazement to my American contacts). For me he is a big, egotistical, grasping New York property owner rat, though the interview in this book does show his great shrewdness to advantage.

My view of Morgan himself is that he seems to be very shrewd himself, intelligent, not quite as shallow as he likes to show as an outer persona (despite his worship of sports events like cricket and football matches, to me incomprehensible though very contemporary Brit). His political judgment as to the then not-far-off General Election was skwed by his close personal/journalistic knowledge of Brown and Cameron. He could not see that in the modest swathes of Southern and other England, a lot of people would vote Conservative just because of silly things like thinking their house might go up in value with a Cameron win, or because the Daily Mail tells them regularly that everyone on disability, or in the North or Scotland and unemployed, is a "scrounger" taking "handouts" from their tax pounds. The fact that the gulf between rich and poor has widened since 1997 makes a mockery of what is, really, a pluto-democratic system in which "all three" main parties take part (and, as now, form and re-form, to carry out policies decided secretly elsewhere.

In other words, Morgan ois a shrewd judge of character but a poor judge of what is happening in a lot of the real world beyond his media folk and chattering class bubble. I do not begrudge him his Maserati (vulgar? Moi?) but I do feel that he is isolated from reality a bit, frankly. The same happened to him in the USA, where his overall views of Americans are recast time and again in these diaries as he encounters paradoxical new facts about different types of American. The same happened to me when I started to live and work there. In America's house there are many mansions.

I was disappointed that, toward the end of the book, Morgan comes to the view, surely one of the most tired cliches out, about how people admire a Maserati owner in the USa, whereas in the UK it will probably acquire envy scratches. To call that simply a cliche is kind. It is almost the king of cliches; which is why I was even more disappointed when the BBC Radio correspondent, on leaving the USA after two years en poste just a couple of years ago, used it. Was that his real view, after two years in the USA?! Sack him!

Morgan does seem to be very beguiled by Barack Obama, which I never was (and not by any means only because he is partly non-ethnic-European), but certainly I agree with Morgan's trenchant views about the (to me, half-crazy) Sara Palin. Scary, even when herself unwittingly exposing, as Morgan says, her ignorance of everything that is not in Alaska. I cannot agree with Morgan who thinks that America's future can still be rosy, at least in the short-to-medium term.

Overall, I enjoyed a lot of the book, though I have to admit that I had to look up on the Internet who actually were a lot of the "celebrities" who play such a large part in it.
on 12 October 2009
A wonderful diary. Love him or hate him, Piers Morgan has a talent for telling it as it really is. I found the whole book interesting, informative but above all else very, very funny.
on 12 April 2009
Having read his previous 2 diary style books, I had to pre-order this one too and devoured it in a couple of days.

These books are so addictive. The circles that Piers moves in and the way he commentates are always refreshing and he's not afraid to say what he thinks despite bumping into the same people he's written about (often negatively) in previous volumes. You have to admire his integrity!! Of course, he's opinionated and arrogant, that's a given. It's also why I buy these books and would expect nothing less. He's a massive name dropper, but what names they are! And I would do exactly the same. He's obviously loving every second of his life and who can blame him.

Keep on writing Piers!!!
on 11 July 2010
I've read 2 of Piers Morgan's books and thoroughly enjoyed all of them. They are deliciously indiscreet and always make me laugh.

I love his wit, the gossip and how he's happy to reveal that he doesn't always come out of a conversation or situation looking good, or at times very intelligent either. Silmilarly there are points where he shows in this book in particular, that whilst he is really rather egotistical, underneath he is quite aware of what matters most in life.

If you liked his others, this one is just as good - though in my opinion, much funnier than The Insider and Don't You Know Who I Am, and brings you up to date on his latest(mis)adventures.

Yes there are several entries on the Obama campaign but it didn't spoil the enjoyment for me and seemed quite relevant to the wider picture of what was going on whilst he was over there, and the impending credit crunch. It all tied in together really.

Amusing, interesting, gossipy, heartfelt in places and highly entertaining. I hope he continues to publish similar titles.
on 6 December 2014
Two words - absolute drivel. Like all his products on here, the ratings are artificially boosted by his agent or PR agency.

This is a constant diatribe of name-dropping nonsense, and must be avoided at all costs. Like the man himself, it's predictable, boring and repetitive.

Clarkson should have hit him harder.
on 1 May 2009
A facinating insight into the minds and behaviour of our cousins 'across the pond' written with the usual style, wit and honesty expected from Piers. Recommended as a thoroughly good read that can be picked up and put down and guaranteed to leave a smile on the face.
on 8 August 2013
Do not waste your money buying this book, I have often watched Piers Morgan on his TV Lifestories show but never imagined he was such a twit.
This book goes through his diaries of 2007-2008 when he was trying to crack America with his big mate Simon Cowell. He is not too full of himself, the book basically describes all his wining and dining with the big names of the day. I didn't even finish it. He is so full of himself and always asking his friends about their sex life, nothing much has changed from his bottom of the barrel newspaper days. It will make good kindling for the fire when winter comes.
on 14 September 2010
I'm now a devotee of all things Morgan. Having read his previous book I dived into this one with glee. Again, an easy read as it is written diary style.
Piers views on Americans,American way of life and American foibles are interesting. If you have preconceived ideas about America,and have never been there...do read this book.
He seems to have settled in USA,and be highly in demand there....dont leave us Piers!
Was it my imagination that he is not so soft centred in this book?...or has he adjusted to being away from his family and also the constant criticisms that he gathers. Sometimes the criticisms are very much tongue in cheek,but not all.
More please!