4.0 out of 5 stars Probably for the future
Published on 4 Nov. 2012 by mal

3.0 out of 5 stars Good router
I bought the Netgear D6300 to replace a 4 year old Linksys wireless router which no longer coped with a house using several Windows 7 and Apple devices simultaneously. The router lives in my attic next to a chimney and provides clear wifi coverage over the whole of a large Edwardian home with lots of walls.
It worked right out of the box. There is no configuration...
Published 23 months ago by avid reader

4.0 out of 5 stars Probably for the future, 4 Nov. 2012
This review is from: NETGEAR D6300-100UKS AC1600 Dual Band Wireless ADSL2+ Modem Router for Phone Line Connections (Accessory)
Bought this modem router to replace an existing Netgear 834N router which I had had for a while but it decided to drop connections on a regular basis. Am a bit of a gadget person and like new products, but not a computer geek but can hold my own. So did a bit of research on this and was aware that the 802.11ac format, as at the time of writing (Nov 2012) is few and far between on laptops etc and it seems it is this format that makes the router "the worlds fastest wifi." You can buy a Netgear usb dongle which you can plug into laptops etc which is also 802.11ac compatable and so you should then be able to have the worlds fastest wifi. The other item I read before buying was that 802.11ac has not yet been agreed between all manufacturers etc (apparently next year sometime this will be agreed) so there is a chance that the existing format of this product will not be compatable with other products should the format change - I have taken these chances, but as I have not bought the usb dongle 802.11ac I cannot comment on this new speed - at present the router works on the b/g/n (2.4GHz) and a/n/ac (5.00GHz) format and range/speed etc is probably the same as my old 834N - hopefully it will be future proof for next generation devices.
Apart from above, the router would look good in any living room and setting up is almost automatic with you only needing to input your ISP ID and password.
So in summary the Netgear D6300 will work on all your existing wi-fi equipment but you are not going to get the fastest wifi unless your equipment supports 802.11ac

5.0 out of 5 stars A good router all round, 8 Feb. 2013
V. Hirani "V. Hirani" (U.K) - See all my reviews
I just replaced my D834GT with the D6300. It does the job for me pretty well. On the 5GHz WIFI frequency I attached my sony home cinema, my work laptop and the ipad. On the 2.4GHZ, I have an Iphone4, Iphone5, HTC Desire HD, a dell laptop, an ASUS tablet and a HP laser printer. I has a 6Mbs internet link. I have tried the following scenario where I have simultaneously, played the IPlayer on the home cinema, Youtube on both the dell laptop and Ipad, and uploading a couple of large files from my work laptop.(30 to 60 mb in size) and I have had no problems. I have had the router for one month and never lost the wifi connection on any one of my devices.

The route which is placed in my study downstairs in one corner of a six bedroom house, I get reception in all the rooms. I get 1/2 bars in the garage about 25/30 meters away from the router on my laptop. Having said all that I am not a gamer so I have not put the router to a serious gaming test.

4.0 out of 5 stars D6300 Modem Router ADSL2+, 5 Jan. 2013
I purchased this router and plugged it in and followed the instructions which took the whole of 2 mins to do and i was well away on the internet!

You follow the online wizard which asks for your ISP login name and password which is easily available to you over the phone or just copy and paste from your old router and it connectes everything else for you.

I am with Talktalk and the router i got free from them was awful.. it would hang and drop packets and dont even mention the wireless distance problems. I decided 'sod it' and splashed out on this router with modem built in and i am amazed at how great it is. ive only used it for a day or so and it hasnt disapointed. I am PC literate and i know a bad router when i see one and this isnt the case.

if you are buying this just be aware that the AC wireless isnt a standard yet and may not get released in consumer produts but i was willing to take the risk.

i run 2 laptops, sky HD+ box, Xbox 360 and 2 iphones with this and nothing ever drops or hangs on the connection.

hope this helps anyone questioning whether this product is worth it!

I ran speed tests and i am getting a slightly better broadband connection and is showing no sign of slowing it down.

I am giving this 4 stars as i have only had it for a short time.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good router, 9 Jun. 2013
avid reader (London, England) - See all my reviews
It worked right out of the box. There is no configuration CD, it is all set up via a web browser screen. Problem solved, no more hanging up of my wireless network. It is expensive and I don't have any other wireless ac devices but it seemed pointless at this point in the cycle to buy another wirelsss n router. The D6300 also fixed a problem I had with a 2 year old Canon (MG1850)wireless printer that had never worked wirelessly. Now I can print to that too over the network. The Canon printer still wont scan remotely however - for that it still needs a USB connection to my PC. You can plug USB (it's only USB 2)storage devices into the router to create network storage. I've tried this with some memory sticks but can't get this feature to work and haven't invested much time in trying to do so. I have not tried setting up the router to access it remotely over the internet. Like so many pieces of kit I find reviewed here there seems to be the entire range of experiences from brilliant to rubbish. I have been on both ends of that experience myself over the years and it is often inexplicable why things work for some and not others. I think it is mostly down to the almost infinite range of user environments that kit has to work in. I expect to get no more than 3 years use out of most hardware I buy and am sure this will prove the same.

3.0 out of 5 stars Netgear D6300 802.11ac Dual Band Gigabit Wi-Fi Modem Router, 1 Aug. 2013
This looked to be a promising bit of kit as I have a sprawling flat and required something to punch the wireless through the walls to the furthest extent of the building and this looked to fit the picture. My stock router was a Sagem supplied by Sky and it just wasn't powerful enough so after looking into this a bit I decided to take the plunge. The unit itself seemed quite well made if not discrete but I would rather performance than looks so that was fine. Setup was ok and when it kicked into life I grabbed the iPad and went wandering. Previously the wireless signal would not go from the router to the center of the kitchen, approx 25 feet, but I had full signal, I carried on through the kitchen to the end of the back bedroom which is roughly 55 feet and through 5 walls of varying construction from lathe and plaster to fire resistant plasterboard over brick and found it still had full signal. Most impressed.
Then the signal just stopped so I went back to investigate and the router was in a reboot sequence and this just cycled on and off with no constant on or off. I tried the usual, mains reset, reset button, leaving it off overnight but every time there was power to it it continued this cycle. I called Netgear and spoke to an adviser and after a bit of playing around they deemed the unit faulty. I returned the item and got a full refund on the unit with no problem. Now I am in a dilemma as these units seem to either work really well or looking at many, many reviews they just don't work at all. When it worked the wireless signal was fantastic but I don't need the hassle of buying and returning a multitude of these. On a positive note, I know someone who has one and it has upped his connection by several mbps, the wireless reaches all through his house and it never misses a beat, not one drop out in several months of use. I gave it 3 stars due to the wireless performance I had and based round my friends unit but I personally wouldn't buy another unless I had a rock solid guarantee I wouldn't have to exchange a few before I found one which worked right out of the box. The only thing for me now is to find an alternative ADSL router with comparable performance which has a higher reliability rate.

1.0 out of 5 stars Second unit failed after five days operation, 20 May 2014
I've had two of these now, and had to return both as faulty. On the first occasion the unit was working fine, but after 30 days, just powered off, and then would not power back on at all, even after hitting the reset button. Amazon offered to replace with another and I accepted this, and that was great service. However, the replacement second unit only lasted five days, then the same strange power off happened, and no way of turning it back on.

So I've now put back on my old reliable netgear DGN2200 that it replaced, and will look at an alternative modem as I can see others have mentioned similar experiences. I had also updated the system to latest firmware, and that had had no effect.

I have to say I was also disappointed at the wifi range. My old DGN 2200 has external antennas, and this one has them all embedded. I had hoped to get a speed and range pick up from the D6300, but did not notice any speed increase, and if anything the wifi range on the 5G had less bars in other rooms in the house than my DGN.

On the positive, the interface, setup and software genie was very good and helpful and improved over my old DGN.

I'm a fan of Netgear, but this modem is not for me.

1.0 out of 5 stars At best a bad batch at worst utter rubbish, 15 Nov. 2013
Tried 2 of these which were returned to Amazon (well done Amazon !)
Could not access the configuration GUI from 3 hard wired devices even though they would ping it successfully. Netgear genie is a real wizard - never appeared !! Even 3 hours with Netgear support couldn't get a result.

Waste of time and money

2.0 out of 5 stars Taken in by the publicity - in reality, poor signal strength, 15 Jun. 2013
Totally agree with the anonymous comments posted 9th June 2013 and Mr Bastianelli 3 days later. I too had looked to replace an old Belkin unit, as signal strength was becoming a problem with 4 people in the house online with tablets and running a Smart TV. In reflection, this item has been more or less a complete waste of money. To provide some sort of capability in upstairs rooms, I have still had to buy a Netgear wireless extender, which I also use when travelling (this is a good product !!). It seems that the extender may as well have been added to my original Belkin router, for the same result. I can't believe the publicity on the box for the Netgear D6300, which obviously had the sales assistant at my local Curry's taken in. I suggest you do more research, for another product with more favourably provided feedback. Netgear R6300 802.11ac Dual Band Gigabit WiFi Router

3.0 out of 5 stars Great router with current firmware... spoiled only by what is missing, 15 July 2014
Purchased several months ago, but after purchase read some horrible feedback so i sat it out and waited for firmware updates. Finally took it out of the box last weekend and set it up, installed latest firmware and couldnt be happier. Easiest Netgear Router to setup that ive come across, but still gives access to advanced settings and features. Wifi signal excellent all around the house on both bands, have so much Wifi now im spoiled for choice.

There were 2 gripes that spoiled an otherwise perfect show and therefore loses 2 stars...

Netgear forcing us to choose paid Dynamic DNS services. I realise Netgear probably take a cut from any subscriptions, but i paid a fair whack for this router and i want to use a Dynamic DNS service of my choice by specifying its address. I dont expect to be straight jacketed like this when buying what was the top of the range router (until the Nighthawk came out). Hopefully enough people complain that they include it in a future firmware update. If this doesnt happen, then i will look at other brands for my next router upgrade.

No Genie App for Windows 8, Windows Phone 8. There are no Apple or Android devices in my house, never have been and never will be. Suddenly i am a second class citizen and an afterthought. Hopefully Netgear will sort this out too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Netgear D6300. Looks good but needs more work, 11 Dec. 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This review is based on firmware version 1.0.0.16. Later versions may improve your experience.

Having used Netgear home network equipment I was keen to give this a try. It replaced my DGND3700 which is still going strong. The 'billboard' design is certainly a change from the pervious from Netgear designs but due to the sloping it doesn't have a smaller footprint on the desk. There are 5 gigabit ethernet ports, 4 switch and 1 WAN for a fibre modem and a traditional RJ15 port for your ADSL line. 2 x USB ports allow flash drives and printers to be connected. Disappointingly, power is via brick rather than the usual combined plug/PSU. Not as neat and I cannot believe it needs the extra block. Build quality feels as good as usual for Netgear. Solid, with no sign of cheap materials.

Setting it up has 2 methods, wizard or for those more technical, manual. If you've used Netgear before and know what you are doing, the manual set up is pretty easy. Beginners should use the wizard, then learn the more advanced settings later on. The wireless is dual band so you have 2.4ghz and the much less crowded 5ghz. Both bands can operate at the same time. You can also set up a guest network that can just provide access to the internet and not the rest of your private network.

So how does it perform?
Internet speeds for me match what my ISP says I should be getting so no complaints there. So far the ADSL connections seem stable and no lock-ups or crashes that I've encountered. The biggestproblem I've encountered so far is that VPN connections drop for some unknown reason. Seeing as I need it the VPN to access work, it is a problem. Hopefully a firmware update will fix it. Signal strength on 2.4ghz is poor on my iPhone 4s (internal antenna does not support 5ghz) but 5ghz is fine on all other devices. Come the summer I should have no problem sitting in the garden with the internet.

For me, the instability with VPN's is a real killer as it stops me working from home hence the 3 stars. In this day and age, home networks should not have to keep one eye on firmwares to resolve bugs that suppliers seem incapable of finding prior to release.

Netgear, release a new firmware to resolve the bugs and you may have a winner...
EDIT: 15/4/13. New firmware, hard reset and install from scratch has fixed the VPN issue and speeded up the 2.4Ghz wifi. Moved up to 4*