4.0 out of 5 stars Neat, convenient and accurate
I had read several reviews of this scanner and several of them do not do the Epson Perfection V37 justice... It's early days but so far this scanner is the best I have had - and I've had one earlier Epson scanner an all-in-one printer scanner.
Published on 11 April 2013 by tommyzulu

3.0 out of 5 stars Good quality scan, suits my needs but I am not over excited.
Published 9 months ago by minetymenace

4.0 out of 5 stars Neat, convenient and accurate, 11 April 2013
This review is from: Epson Perfection V37 Photo 4800 dpi scanner with ReadyScan LED technology (Accessory)
Installation is simple if you carefully follow instructions and are a little patient. The software downloads the latest drivers if you leave it to do its stuff and there are several additional programmes which you can use on the installation CD - including a really good OCR programme, ABBY FineReader Sprint (more on that in a moment).
Once installed I found that the V37 found my printer and was ready to roll...
Scans have been accurate and there is a good range of scanning options if you choose the professional mode... If you cannot be bothered I think the auto-mode is OK, too.
I found the FineReader software excellent... I know it is a 'lite' version of ABBY's OCR software but I scanned a whole A4 page of small text (9pt) and it came out perfectly.
The four buttons on the scanner make it really convenient for everyday use. One will print the scanned document - turning the device into a photocopier in conjunction with your printer. Another saves your scan as a .pdf file while the third prepared the scan as an e-mail attachment. A cinch. The fourth is the power button.
One reviewer did not like the way that the power and USB leads came out of the front side of the scanner... Well I have it turned longways on my desk so the lid hinges are at the back (sensible) and then the leads are at the back too. Seems a bit of a no-brainer to me!
Full marks to Epson, Amazon (and Yodel) for this reasonably inexpensive device (delivered to me using SuperSaver free delivery in two days!)Perfection V37 Photo 4800 dpi scanner with ReadyScan LED technology

4.0 out of 5 stars Great scanner - excellent Linux drivers, pity Epson fails in making them easily available, 12 Mar. 2013
Bought this because I've had Epson scanners which plug and play on Ubuntu before and Epson's website said there was a Linux driver available.

Hardware itself is fabulous, does what it says on the tin, very fast scan.

Drivers: upppphhhhh! I use Ubuntu 64-bit 12.04 so I went off to the Epson site to download the driver Epson said was available when I purchased it. Well, the two driver packages are available but they don't work without an additional package - which Epson doesn't provide on its website and is no longer available on the Epson partner site which used to supply it. I finally found the necessary additional deb package thankfully provided on a French website after an hour or so Googling and some educated guessing.

Next I went to install the drivers - if you don't install them in exactly the right order, you'll get dependency problems and have to purge them off and start again. Find all the right packages, install them in the right order, then reboot, Ubuntu will pick up the scanner and it works like a charm. There's also an additional package which provides the peripheral software (makes the scan button work, scans to print, pdfs etc).

Get the most recent drivers from Epson site: [...]

At the time of writing, if you have 64-bit Ubuntu 12.04 or later, these are the latest packages you need in the order you need to install them:

iscan-data_1.19.0-1_all.deb
iscan_2.29.1-5~usb0.1.ltdl7_amd64.deb
esci-interpreter-perfection-v330_0.2.0-1_amd64.deb

And this is the additional features software:
iscan-plugin-perfection-v370_1.0.0-2_amd64.deb

4.0 out of 5 stars This is the one to scan 3D Objects, 1 Mar. 2014
C. E. Taylor (Warwickshire UK) - See all my reviews
My wife makes costume jewellery as a hobby and photographing it can be difficult . As scanners provides their own, very even lighting , in many respects they are often better than a camera for this purpose.

Most printer/scanner combinations use scanners with inadequate depth of field for such photography, but V37 will happily photograph items of considerable thickness very well. Certainly it's proved successful for our requirements.

The software provided is easy to install , providing you install IT first, THEN link the scanner.
It's easy to use, and gives several levels of complexity, varying with your needs and knowledge. Adequate for a total novice to run, but capable of semi-professional work in the right hands.

There is another model, the V370 which has the addition capabilities for slide and negative scanning, but at additional cost in price, size and awkwardness.
So if you only wish to copy prints, documents and 3D objects get the V37, it's far less cumbersome. and fiddly. And the V370's attachments are very easily broken or lost .

Despite being told that the box contained an instruction manual, ours only came with a very basic "get you started leaflet." The manual comes as an internet link . I suggest you load it as a PDF rather than call it up each time.
As others have remarked the machine has the cabling on the long side, so it's best used on the desk with the long side facing forward.

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT VALUE, 8 Aug. 2013
This is a cheap machine to buy, but it packs a punch. Have copied old colour faded photos with good results. In the case of one very small faded black and white photo, I produced an A3 size copy. THE SOFTWARE PACKAGE WITH THIS MACHINE IS EXCELLENT. Take time to learn it and it will pay dividends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great scanner, 5 Mar. 2013
I bought this product after searching through Which magazine website which identified it as the optimum scanner for my purposes: that is, the closest to a professional quality scanner without splashing out a fortune. I am very pleased with the quality of the scans (no blurred edges, as with my HP all in one) and the speed of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Basic Scanner, 31 May 2014
P. Korab "paulkebab" (England, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this to replace a Canon scanner which wouldn't work in a 64-bit OS, and Canon refused to write the drivers. Needless to say I won't buy anything with Canon on it.
This scanner is perfect for home use, scanning quietly and reasonably quickly too. I've not used all the supplied software but the standard 'plug in and scan in auto' setup works a treat. Photos and documents are pin-sharp with no need to use editing software post-scan unless you're doing a large scale project. The scanner will see separate items on the glass if you leave enough space between them, then go back, scan each item one by one, and save as individual files. Not the quickest way but this is a budget scanner. After a few minutes with the settings the results are very good indeed, making a mockery of this scanners' price tag.
I can't fault this scanner for the price and would highly recommend it for home use.

4.0 out of 5 stars Epson Scan V37, 22 Jun. 2014
I like it. Quite a small footprint compared with my old Epson Perfection which was big
and bulky in comparison. Guess I've only used copy and scan; both worked well.
It is very handy having the lift up lid fold across. Good for copying pics/whathaveyou
from a book or magazine and the extra depth of field given by the LED's also helps.
Good price for the product. It's not the most expensive one but it does everything I want.
What anyone without Net access will do I don't know as the drivers come
from the Epson site! There must be folks wanting a scanner who are not on the net; fact is, there are!
Manual of course on the CD. Does no one supply a booklet anymore?
I thought the manual was also only on the net but I found in in a
C:\..users....file; so transferred it to the desktop.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good quality scan, suits my needs but I am not over excited., 25 Oct. 2014
I bought this scanner as my old one was not recognised by Win8. It is not the cheapest flatbed scanner but chose it because of the CCD. Unlike normal scanners the CCD pick up means you have an increased depth of field. "So what?" I hear you ask, this means that stuff that is not in contact with the glass is still in focus, so if your paper is wrinkled or you are scanning a book or magazine near the spine, all is still in focus and readable on the scan (To test this I scanned a lamp bulb, it came out like a photo!).

But it is not all good. At high resolutions the scan speed is painfully slow, not an issue for me as I only scan the ocasional document and I can get on with something else as the bar moves slowly across the screen, so the penalty for a high quality scan is a long wait.

Power and USB connections are on the side beneath the buttons, designed for cost rather than practicality, if they had turned the slik screen on the buttons round, they could have claimed that the plugs were on the back! Bit of a pain, but not a show stopper.

I think the Epson scanner software leaves a bit to be desired. Being a bloke I did not read the istructions and just plugged it in and hoped Microsoft would sort it out, it didn't. No CD on my computer so downloaded the software from the Epson site and once the drivers were installed the scanner worked...sort of. Downloading and installing the Epson Scan software made the buttons work (not the scan to printer button though) and the software automatically saves the result in a pre-defined folder with a prefix and serial number. At this point I lost interest in using the Epsom software, I scan signed copies of reports and need to save them in a folder relevant to the job, so I use Adobe Acrobat and create PDFs from the scanner straight into Acrobat and save them where I want and with a meaningful file name, in one go. This works for me and I have spent enough time playing.

To sum up:
Bought to work with Win8.1 64 bit, it does.
Great depth of field
Good quality scan if you don't mind it being a bit slow.
Supplied software is distinctly average, scanner works fine with Adobe Acrobat Pro.
Suits my needs

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says ..., 1 Nov. 2013
Call me old fashioned, I'm 58 but I would have appreciated an instruction booklet for setting up the system. Yes, I know you can go online but having a clear instruction by your side helps a lot. I find understanding new technology hard (I'm 58) so it did take a while for me to work things out from the instructions online. I do wish people would write instructions for people like me and not assume we know the obvious. It did take me ages, but I got it all connected eventually and it photocopied. I was so pleased with myself! The large flat black box is very light and it opens flat top. This I have used to photocopy tapestrys which were covered in glass. Despite the glass it photocopied beautifully. This photocopier is perfect for my needs. Once you work things out and get everything set up without a helpful clear booklet it is very good. I still wish their online explanations were clearer as I suppose I do not understand everything yet, but it does what its supposed to do, that is take photocopies. It is light and portable, say like a trip to the library, you could put it in a padded shopping basket. I have bought a small portable scanner as well to scan my huge tapestrys that are on my walls. I have been having a lot of fun scanning everything in sight. Would love to scan my guinea pig but of course one MUST NOT do that!

3.0 out of 5 stars Flawed, 24 Sept. 2014
Bought to replace a V350 (that does not work with Windows 8) - but nor does the V37. 4 hours wasted trying to get it to work - with no results. In addition it's intolerably slow: the V350 will (using Windows 7) scan an A4 page at 800 d.p.i. in 50 seconds, the V73 takes 1 minute 45 seconds. The software is very user friendly (the best I've encountered of any cheap scanner), though with some oddities - e.g. the "autoscan and save" button only appears when you load the scanner directly but not when using Photoshop. It's going back.

Epson Perfection V37 Photo 4800 dpi scanner with ReadyScan LED technology