The is the first scanner I have ever owned. I bought it primarily for scanning a large collection of negatives where the original photos are already mounted in albums.

Published on 15 July 2013 by Paul Shaw

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good
Published on 11 Jan. 2013 by Chapman Baxter

4.0 out of 5 stars My first scanner, bought primarily for scanning negatives. Very pleased., 15 July 2013
Paul Shaw "perplexed" (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Epson Perfection V370 Photo 4800 dpi scanner with ReadyScan LED technology - slides, film and negatives (Accessory)

FIRST IMPRESSIONS - First impressions are very good. It has the feel of a well built, quality product - it's certainly a solid piece of kit. The USB port could be better positioned for how my desk is arranged (I would prefer it at the back), but this is a minor inconvenience. The negatives I've scanned so far have been mainly on the 'auto' setting, which makes it very quick & easy. I just put them in the special holder, close it, put the holder on the glass so it slots into place, shut the lid and click the button. The negative frames are then detected, scanned and saved. And that's it. Simple. The hardest part is working out which way to put them, but a little diagram on the holder is a constant reminder.

QUALITY - In my experience, the quality of scanned negatives isn't as good as scanned photos, which I did expect - the colours aren't as rich. However, that might partly be the fault of my old negatives, which are slightly warped. However, I'm happy with the results, and remember this is all on the 'auto' mode. There are plenty of options to play with to get the best out of the scanner, so I'm sure I could improve the quality. For the time being though, I'm happy to compromise slightly on quality to get everything scanned quickly, to get a backup of all my pre-digital photos. Once I've finished I may go back and get some higher quality versions of my favourites, direct from the photo instead of the negative.

PHOTOS - I've only scanned a few photos so far, mainly on the 'professional' mode to allow me a higher dpi. Here the quality is fantastic, allowing me to zoom in for a good level of detail. I prefer to do a basic scan and tweak afterwards in a paint program, but there are plenty of options to play with in the supplied software if you prefer. Indeed, it can be quite daunting in 'professional' mode (although there is a full user guide), but a 'home' mode is a useful compromise if 'auto' is too basic.

CONCLUSION - I'm very happy with this scanner. Getting started with the supplied software is a doddle, and scanning negatives on 'auto' is quick and easy. There are many options to fine tune the results if you wish, allowing you to get excellent results. I also like how you can store the negative holder in the lid - a small detail, but makes you feel this is a quality product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, excellent results, 8 Dec. 2012
I have not fully exploited this machine yet as it is only a couple of weeks since purchase. However I can report that the scanning process is simple as the unit automatically recognises the source (photograph, colour slide and negatives).
With 4 slides or six negatives loaded the scanning process time is variable depending on the dpi selected. The auto functions reasonably quickly but you still must have patience! All results have been exceptional and above expectations and at 1200 dpi the pictures have been remarkably true, colours and definition. The software provided does its job well but you will probably want use a good photo editing package if you load below par source material.
I have more to learn but this is a super machine which will bring to life those boxed up memories. I did a lot of research prior to buying this unit and recommend the value for money Epson V370.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb for scanning negatives, 20 Feb. 2013
S. P. Long "Simon Long" (Cambridge) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I already own a decent scanner built into a Canon all-in-one printer, but I bought this to enable me to scan in some old negatives. I tried one of the cheaper negative copiers that take a digital photo of the negative, but the results were quite poor - colour rendition was inaccurate, lighting varied across the photo, edges were artificially enhanced and the output was only available as a heavily compressed JPEG. I decided to try this scanner as the next step up, not being willing to pay for a dedicated professional negative scanner.

Frankly, having done so, I'm not sure what the benefits of a dedicated pro scanner would be - the results produced by the Epson are superb. Beautiful sharp images with more natural colour balance than the original prints had, perfect exposure (even on tricky nighttime shots) and no evidence of artificial processing. Scanning a negative at 3200 dpi takes a couple of minutes, but the results are worth the wait. Even on the default full-auto mode - just insert negatives and hit Scan - the results are more than acceptable.

I'll be returning the previous negative scanner, but this one's a keeper - if you are trying to rescue old negatives (and have the patience to wait a couple of minutes for each one), it's a brilliant tool.

One more note - a couple of reviewers say they have had problems getting it to work with Win7 64-bit - that's what I'm running, and it installed and worked perfectly first time.

Can't recommend this highly enough!

Edit - I've noticed one other reviewer has had problems with bands of colour when scanning negatives. I've seen the same, but it isn't a fault - it indicates that there is dirt or marks on the scanner glass under the calibration region of the negative holder. This is the empty rectangle at one end of the negative strip - make sure the glass under this is perfectly clean, and the banding will disappear.

4.0 out of 5 stars A simple solution, 12 July 2013
Me: Absolutely non-techie inclined, with a disability that means my hands are not good with equipment that requires a lot of fine motor skills.

My need: To scan about 700 old prints and 35mm slides without expensive hardware I may never use again.

The Epson: Set up was straightforward. Very easy to use. Prints just sit on the glass as for any scanner. For the slides, rest the frame on the glass, slot the slides on top. Simple.

Would've been nicer: If you could do more than 4 slides at a time. If it was a bit quieter.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, 11 Jan. 2013
Mine arrived yesterday - firstly, unlike what is stated in one of the recent reviews, it actually works fine with 64 bit windows 7 (well, on my i7 Vaio laptop anyway) and also fine even with Windows 8 pro on my daughter's Netbook. When i first installed the disk, it said a new driver/software update was available from Epson and I chose to install via the update wizard rather than the software on the disk - maybe that's where the reviewer went wrong? Anyway, it's wrong to state it does not work with 64 bit W7 - proof is in the fact that I've been pressing the send to pdf/quick scan buttons for hours without a snag. Also, you can stop the 'epson event manager' process from starting at boot, so it's not just a constant running process. It starts when you turn your scanner on anyway, so is unnecessary when you're not scanning.

All this said, the software is a bit dated looking and clunky, some of the alert boxes even come up in Japanese. This isn't uncommon with software from Japanese firms though - their expertise is in hardware and they always seem years behind with slick GUIs etc. I went for the Epson as the other option in the price bracket was Canon and i'd therefore had the same kind of problems with their software anyway. Other reason for going Epson was my old canon n1220u still works perfectly, but they stopped making drivers for it (32 bit win7 yes but 64 bit no). I therefore wanted to take my trade elsewhere as a protest at that.

It gets 3 stars as it's much bigger than I expected and the big plug in transformer seems OTT for a low energy device - I miss that about the Canon, with the lide range being powered by the single USB cable. Also the results, although excellent are not a massive step up from my 10 year old Canon. When you think of how tech has moved on in that time, I was really hoping for something with a bit more wow. If you blow the results up in Photoshop, some detail is lost, even on pretty high res scans, and there is still a bit of colour cast that needs correction. Anyway, the CCD/LED Canon model 700F, which is the main competitor here , is 2 years old now, so I guess until they update that model, this still remains the best, up-to-date tech for under £100.

5.0 out of 5 stars Completely satisfied, 1 Jan. 2014
This has been a superb buy. Easy to scan transparencies and negatives as well as prints, and I love the way you can batch the photographs so that it allows a batch name and then numbers consecutively as you scan each one. On a Mac I can keep open the Epson scanner programme pane (by far the easiest to follow of the ones included), the scan preview pane and the destination folder showing each thumbnail as the finished scan pops into place: the latter means that I don't lose track of where I am with my scanning. It's quite big but light enough to pack away when i've finished with it - I use my HP printer for basic scanning and copying. This model has lots of choices of settings and I am completely satisfied with the results of my high-resolution scanning. I readily recommend it. Good value, good quality, and easy to use.

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfectly capable scanner for the price, 2 Feb. 2015
I have scanned over a thousand "50 year old" transparencies from the early 1960's with this scanner and the results are well worth the relatively small price. I have tried other cheaper scanners and they are rubbish. I have not tried more expensive scanners and I have no plans now to do so. The only niggle I have is that you can only load and scan 4 transparencies at a time, but if you have to spend time at the computer doing other things (like work) it is relatively painless to swap the 4 slides over every 10 minutes or so. I expect it is not the fastest scanner in the world but is fine for me. It is well worth using an air blower to clean dust from the scanner surface every hour or so, because you cannot see it by eye and it does affect the results.

4.0 out of 5 stars Most folk I think will say its not a bad bit of kit for the money, 2 Jan. 2015
I have been using it for a few days now for both scanning documents, postcards and transparencies. The setup takes a little getting use to as some of the logic doesn't coincide with mine! Having said that the only really annoying feature is the auto indexing file number which for some daft reason is restricted to 3 digits. When scanning for an archive I need at least 5 digits as I am past 5000 image files and won't be long before I reach 10,000. So I have to renumber all my files!
Come on Epson lets have a software update to correct this.
Otherwise it worked well using it with Epson software.
I did have problems using the twain driver from Irfanview when sometimes it failed and screwed everything up requiring a reboot. I have no idea whether that is a Irfanview issue or Epson, but I as it is quicker not to use twain I am not bothered.
Speed for scanning 4 slides is about 4 mins using a Win 7 desktop (not high end). It does seem to do a lot of 'thinking' rather than scanning! Overall I am happy but just want that software update to correct the file numbering please Epson!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad scanner for documents and 35mm transparencies, 26 April 2014
I bought this to replace an Epson 1240U Photo scanner which I couldn't get to work with my upgrade to Windows 8.1. I can confirm that the V370 works fine with Win 8.1 - I opted to keep the default installation procedure supplied on the CD-ROM which gets the latest drivers from Epson. The TWAIN interface etc is similar to what I was used to with the previous model, and it pops up when importing into Photoshop. All scanning/copying can be done from buttons on the scanner if you wish.

Quality of scan appears excellent at 4,800dpi optical resolution. Speed seems fine to me.

The scanner is rather light and feels a bit fragile, especially the slide carrier and the removable white mat. The USB and power cables attach at the front right of the scanner which is irksome. Likewise the way the scanner opens like a book, rather than hinged at the back. However it looks smart and less intrusive than the 1240U.

N.B. In transparency mode it CANNOT scan medium format or larger transparencies. It is limited to 35mm in strips or 2" holders. These are significant disadvantages compared to the 1240U.

In conclusion, it is a nice Windows 8.1 scanner for docs and 35mm slides. If you are a photographer who wishes to scan larger formats then you will have to go higher up the Epson range.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfection., 12 July 2013
Here's a scanner that's simple to use and in professional mode, not full auto, very straight forward, and I'm no expert. Scanning slides is a doddle. At the moment the family album is not only being digitalised but enhanced. Faded prints with the aid of photoshop get a breath of life.
If you want a scanner that scans beautifully without fuss and doesn't cost the earth I recommend this.