Shop now Shop Clothing clo_fly_aw15_NA_shoes Shop All Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop Fire TV Shop now Shop Fire HD 6 Shop Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Shop now

on 3 November 2013
I have this jacket and didn't mind paying £250 as it was 'waterproof, windproof' etc. I got it for the school run as I was sick of days when gale force winds and heavy rain.
First time I wore it in light rain for a short time and the rain seemed to just sit in bobbles on the surface of the jacket and could just be shook off when I got home. So far so good. I was well impressed.

Then I wore it in heavier rain and high winds last night at a firework display. An umbrella wouldn't be useable in the strong winds. I was out for about 1 hour in total. The coat 'wetted out' in other words just soaked up the rain like a sponge and I was soaked through inside the coat throughout. I just wanted to take it off as I was more cold standing in a wet through coat and it was really heavy with been so wet through.
My phone thought to be safe in pocket 'waterproof' was also wet through.

I have another Northface jacket that is 'waterproof' thinner one. This also Wets out. I was told to purchase special washing liquid and a proofer. This is supposed to protect and renew the waterproof surface fabric. However it shouldn't have worn off as never hardly go out so only worn a couple of times. Anyway I purchased the special washing liquid for the coats and the proofer liquid. Even after treating with the Proofer liquid, as instructed soaking the coats in the proofer then drying...the coats are supposed to then have their waterproof surface renewed.. as such. Still 'wetted out'.

I would hate to be stuck out somewhere in this coat in bad weather as after about 1 hour would be wet and cold. It is very warm though and nice looking...but I wouldn't consider to be good if in adverse weather conditions where you are going to get wet.

Shame as I paid £250 for this Northface coat and my other Northface coat paid £162. None of which I would call waterproof.

My son wore a 'waterproof' Mountain warehouse coat and although it did soak rain up on the surface of his coat, he was still dry inside the coat as it had a membrane inside below the outer material. This only cost £35.
Next time I shop for a coat I wont be getting Northface. :0(
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again