5.0 out of 5 stars Info packed guide to herbs during and after pregnancy.
Published on 30 Dec 1998

3.0 out of 5 stars Eek, not sold on this just yet, lol...
Was not overwhelmed with this book, despite high hopes. When an author makes recommendations about the clinical efficacy and safety of a herbal remedy based on one case study of a pregnant dog, you're not exactly reassured! Lots of common sense sprinkled in this book, and repeated references to Raspberry Leaf Tea and Nettle Tea as uterine and conception tonics, which is...
Published 3 months ago by Miss Hart

5.0 out of 5 stars Info packed guide to herbs during and after pregnancy., 30 Dec 1998
By A Customer
I bought this book after I had my baby for the information on herbs and lactation. After reading it, I wish I had heard of it sooner. It is full of information on safe herbs that can be used during pregnancy and a terrific guide on how to prepare them in different ways. The guide alone is worth buying the book. Susun Weed puts everything in a simple, easy way - from beginning to end. Her writing has inspired me to find the wise woman in me. The herbs she writes about aren't uncommon and the recipes aren't complicated. I can't wait for my next pregnancy so I can put this book to better use. It does have good info regarding lactation although I would like more. However, I have had a hard time getting a hold of any at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - A bible for expecting moms, 28 July 1998
By A Customer
Very easy to understand. I was given this book when I was about 6 months pregnate. On first glance I thought "oh no not another hippy, love child herbal book", to my surprise (and 5 hours of not so painful joy in the next 4 months) I thank the gods above for having this book, and the grace to follow the suggestions within. This book also helped with the "pink eye" problem that newborns have, and the other strange little wonderful things that happen to a womans body during and after childbirth. A book written by wise women for wise women!
Simone

5.0 out of 5 stars FROM A MAN'S POINT OF VIEW......, 27 May 1999
By A Customer
I found this book when my wife and I were first trying to have a baby. It has proven wonderful time in and time out; It contains more insights and knowledge than other books much larger and less well written. Susun's approach seems to be one of intuitive knowledge, rather than merely intelectual smarts, and that serves we readers so much better. Her explanations of tincture, syrup, and salve preparations are the simplest yet most effective I've found. I wish there was a "wise man herbal" out there, well maybe I'll have to write it for all us guys lacking M. Weed's way.A must for every pregnant woman.Realise that every drug is herbal based!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars New to herbalism, 30 July 1999
By A Customer
Last night I bought this book, along with another herbal guide, as my first real entrance into the study of herbs. "Wise Woman" is well organized, practical, and extremely easy to read for the uninitiated. I praise Ms. Weed for this invaluable resource and expect to refer to this book frequently in my upcoming pregnancy.

5.0 out of 5 stars An easy-to-read beginner's guide to herbal remedies, 7 July 1998
By A Customer
This is THE book that I recommend to my students and clients who are interested in using herbs during the childbearing year. It has a logical layout, and clearly gives both risks and benefits of each herbal remedy offered.
The New Age aspects of it are not for everyone (myself included), but easy enough to ignore if you so choose. The spirituality of the author does not affect the accurateness of the material.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wise Woman Herbal for the Childbearing Year, 8 Oct 2007
Tami Brady "Tami Brady: Transition-Empowermen... (Calgary, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
The Childbearing Year contains a wide range of resources for woman pertaining to their reproductive health. This information includes activities, foods, and herbal supplements that can benefit woman hoping to conceive, who are pregnant, or who have a newborn child. These topics range from increasing fertility health for better odds of becoming pregnant and things to stay away from to reduce the likelihood of miscarriage through safe remedies for morning sickness and ways to alleviate late pregnancy back ache to herbs that will reduce the intensity of post partum depression and safe remedies for colic.

I recommend this book to any woman who is thinking of having a child, is pregnant, or has a newborn. Not only does this book give the reader a clear idea of activities, foods, and herbs that she can use for common reproductive related ailments but the author also explains the safest ways to use these remedies. Moreover, the author also includes foods and herbs that can actually make the situation worse or that can even be hazardous to the baby's health so that the reader is forewarned about such potential dangers.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Dispoable Age kid finds help with nature's herbal magic., 25 Jun 1997
By A Customer
A friend gave me this book to help me resolve my problem with infertility. Aged 34, I am a product of childhood in the 60's and 70's:
I was brought up in an age when short-term, disposable products were the norm, and science, which had taken us to the moon, was likely to solve most of our medical problems with a magic pill.

Coming from there, I was delighted to be exposed to the herbal "magic" I found in the pages of Wise Woman. This wholistic approach to natural healing and care for the childbearing year -- fourteen months from pre-conception through delivery -- opened my eyes to a new world.

This easy-to-read book will help you to get healthy and to stay healthy, using nature's own tools, throughout one of the most important year's in a woman's life.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Herbal guide helped me throughout pregnancy and after, 9 April 1998
By A Customer
I followed many of the recommendations for herbal relief of symptoms and found great relief in them. I believe the herbs and tinctures recommended in this book helped me achieve my goal of a non-medicated labor and delivery, and my post-partum was eased as well. It is my #1 favorite pregnancy book and I give it to all my friends with a bag of red raspberry leaf for their own infusions and uterine toning routine!

5.0 out of 5 stars Herbal Medicine for Pregnant Dummies, 9 Nov 1997
By A Customer
You've heard of the "For Dummies" books? This should have been called "Herbal Medicine for Pregnant Dummies." The Wise Woman Herbal: The Childbearing Year is an excellent resource for any pregnant women, whether she has never considered herbal remedies before, dabbles in them occasionally, or is a full-fledged herbal practitioner, but it is very friendly to the newcomer to herbal medicine. The book includes simple prescriptions for those who don't want to get deeply involved in herbal medicine, such as drinking raspberry leaf tea daily throughout the pregnancy to strengthen the uterus. However, for those who are interested in more complex remedies, the author explains in great detail how to make infusions, tinctures, oils, etc., more so than any other herbal medicine book I've read. This is very helpful to people who have dabbled a little in herbology but have not found a mentor to teach them the ropes.
Included in the book is everything from herbal birth control to remedies for the newborn. Especially helpful is the listing of teratogens, or substances that can cause birth defects -- unlike other books on pregnancy, this book lists some common cooking herbs that should be avoided. Appendices include a listing of herbal sources for vitamins and minerals, and recipes for herbal tonics and medicines. A glossary is also included.

The author's interesting New Age spirituality and suspicion of technology (such as ultrasound) does not detract from the practical aspects of the book, but adds a sort of charm to the whole process. If asking a plant's permission before picking it isn't your cup of tea, just read those paragraphs with a grain of salt and take the information you need from the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great service and great book :), 9 Jan 2010
Tx! book arrived safely. Book itself is a great source and compilation of forgotten world of herbs and informations about it all.