5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing piece of kit
Published on 30 Dec. 2012 by sgoddy

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been MUCH better.
Firstly, I must say that this is a mixed review, i'm not saying it is a terrible phone, and i'm not saying it's great either.

Published 11 months ago by Stephen

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing piece of kit, 30 Dec. 2012
This review is from: HTC 8X Windows Phone 8 UK Sim Free Smartphone - Black (Electronics)
There are currently only 4 Windows 8 mobile phones available, this being one of them (it's Dec 2012 as I write this). There are 2 HTCs and 2 Nokias. Although I love the Nokia 920, it is significantly more expensive than this phone, which I estimate to be the best value for money. I was going to wait for a Tegra 3 WM8 to be released but then decided (after reading many articles on the subject), that the dual core snapdragon CPU in this phone may actually outperform the quad core Tegra 3 so I bought it.

So far I am delighted with the purchase, it is fast and snappy, looks amazing and is so easy to use. I can't remember having to wait for it to do anything. The tiles are intuitive, amazingly configurable and allow the front screen and lock screens to be customised like I have never seen before on any platform. Windows 8 is just so much better than the other versions of Windows Mobile (I'm using 6.5 at the moment). It's definitely on a par, if not better than the Android and Apple devices I use, and of course it is much more open than the Apple platforms. Users probably won't care about this distinction, but us programmers do. The platform is just so easy to code for, any Windows programmer can write programs for this device with very little effort. If the App store currently has fewer apps than Apple or Android, I would expect this to change when Windows programmers realise this.

Watch out for the Sim cards (it takes the smaller Sim cards, in common with many of the phones that are coming out now. It is possible to take a full-sized sim card and trim it down to size if, like me, you cannot get your sim exchanged for a smaller one.

The only other negatives I can think of is that the battery is apparently not replaceable (but then I replace my phones before I replace the batteries so that is less of a problem for me) and you can't plug a MicroSD card into it (but then my old phone was 1GB so I added a 16GB memory card. This phone is 16GB to start with.

One final thing. I ordered it on 22/12. The website said "This phone will not be delivered in time for Christmas", estimated arrival date 28/12. I'd missed the last order deadline. I knew this before I ordered, as it is a combined Christmas/Birthday present (my birthday being the predicted arrival date). Despite all this, and having selected the free delivery option, it arrived before Christmas. So much kudos to Amazon and the postal service for exceeding my expectations.

5.0 out of 5 stars HTC 8X is an absolutely wonderful phone, 10 Dec. 2012
Richard Young (Oxfordshire, England) - See all my reviews
I own an I-pad 3. Everyone I know seems to have - and adore- their I-phone. So I understand how an Apple solution could work for me, but I went wth Windows. I have to say the Windows 8 phone experience on the HTC 8X is an absolute delight to use.

I loved my Nokia Lumina 800 and Windows 7 phone. But the cost of repairing a cracked screen made an update the only viable choice. And I agonised over a Lumina 920 or an 8X. I find the size, weight and dimensions of the 8X match my needs far better than the 920. Sorry Nokia, I, literally could not handle the 920.

What is there to like about the 8X?
* fast fluid and responsive controls.
* Brilliant, natural easy to read screen.
* Really comfortable to hold
* Crystal clear sound for calls
* Thin, light and hence, comfortable in a jeans pocket or suit jacket
* Set up took minutes and was simplicity itself - just insert you old micro SIMs card.
* Best sound when playing music I have ever hear from a mobile phone

If you are part of the Microsoft Eco System, a Windows 8 phone makes so much sense. Really tight integration between address books, calendars and messages. Anyone who has not used a Windows phone needs to see the use of hubs and ease of social messaging in action.

If there are regrets it is in the area of apps. DropBox and Spotify are on the way - soon I hope. I do miss Nokia maps.

Bottom line: if you gave me the choice of an I-phone 5 or an HTC 8X, I'd not hesitate: Why? I held my sons's I-phone 5 in my hand yesterday. By comparison, it felt heavy, thick and with way too small a screen.

My opinion: the X 8 every time. Absolutely no buyers regrets.

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been MUCH better., 19 Jun. 2014

This is my second smart phone what I have had, moving on from an iPhone 3GS which I had from Christmas 2010 to Christmas 2013 when I received this phone. I thought I would have a change from the usual hype of Apple iPhone's and Android products.

Pros:
1. You can move apps to where you would like them on the home page, more customization than an iPhone homepage such as having different colours and more.
2. A nice material instead of the same old shiny/plastic back cover, even handier as it cannot get scratches or fingerprints on the back.
3. Screen is strong, such as having no scratches.
4. You can buy/try Xbox exclusive mobile games, and connect using your Xbox gamertag, along for music.
5. Battery saving makes a small difference, just like other smartphones.
6. Cheap compared to most modern smartphones.

Cons:
1. Status bar at the top (battery symbol, signal bar, time etc) always disappears unless you swipe it down, only to disappear again.
2. The Windows Store LACKS APPS. This links proves it all: [...] So if you are an app lover, I seriously advise to get another phone.
3. Battery life is terrible, worse than my old 3GS, though this is very common in modern day smart phones.
4. Volume button is on right hand side of the phone, not on the left, but that is a preference of mine.
5. You cannot adjust the brightness using a meter like on an iPhone, you can only choose low, medium, high or automatic.
6. Takes a long time to fully charge, just under 2 hours.

There are more features I could talk about, but these Pros and Cons are simply an 'in a nut shell' run over of what there is to offer. I wished that I had got a Sony phone, due to what features there are. But still, this is a good phone, and if you want a cheap Windows phone, i'd recommend this.

Overall rating: 6/10

5.0 out of 5 stars Tough Decision to Choose Between HTC 8X and Samsung ATIV S, 20 Jan. 2013
Kaio (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
As a fan of Windows Phone from day one over two years ago, it was relatively easy then to pick a Windows Phone handset; I had no difficulty in choosing my first Windows Phone 7 which was HTC HD7 and glad to say it's still as new - thanks to the protective screen cover and soft gel case I put to use upon unpacking my HD7.

With significant improvements made possible with Windows Phone 8, and now more choices from several quarters - not only HTC and Samsung, also Nokia now a big player, and the Chinese getting noticed, for instance with ZTE Tania model - as well as the multi models of the same brand, it may not be that easy to choose one handset over the other. Case in point - Samsung ATIV S and HTC 8X are the two Windows Phones I like most, but really tough to choose one over the other.

Main Reasons why I like Samsung ATIV S over HTC 8X:
- Removable higher capacity 2300mAh Li-Ion battery (versus internally fixed 1800mAh Li-Polymer for HTC 8X)
- Bigger screen size (4.8" versus 4.3")
- Extended memory through microSD/SDHC/SDXC card up to 32GB, means 16GB internal storage + 32GB extended (versus 16GB internal storage only for HTC 8X)
- Talk time up to 13.5 hrs (better by about 2 hours than HTC 8X)
- Latest Bluetooth 4.0 (versus 2.1 for HTC 8X)

Main Reasons why I like HTC 8X over Samsung ATIV S:
- Supports 4G LTE network (versus no 4G support but 3.5G network for ATIV S).
- Very sharp and bright screen quality as widely reported for HTC 8X (but ATIV S also has a better contrast which is as important).
- Marginally better multimedia experiences (pictures, music, video) according to some test labs.
- Less expensive than ATIV S

This is ignoring very minor differences such as 1.9MPix vs 2.1MPix front camera, 135g vs. 130g weight, and subjective factors such as the look and feel of handset body and contour.

While the reasons for ATIV S are all quite significant for me (particularly being able to use spare batteries while on travel, as well as the two important reasons that follow this one), the main sticking point for the HTC 8X is the 4G support which may be regarded as a feature that makes a Windows phone more future-proof.

After some time of indecision I finally opted for the ATIV S, somewhat convinced by the fact that the 3G/3.5G mobile broadband service will be with us for years to come and the 4G LTE is just at the initial pilot launch in major UK cities (by EE and O2) with full coverage estimated beyond 2014. Interestingly, the US and Canadian version of ATIV S does support 4G LTE and not clear why Samsung decided to exclude this feature for the UK version.

This is a Windows Phone 8 handset packed with all desirable features, notably 4G LTE connectivity, but somewhat disappointing that HTC chose to make the battery non-removable. With my HD7 (with removable battery) I had no worries of running out of battery charge on travel (on occasions I carried up to 3 spare batteries although at most and rare occasions I only needed 2 spare batteries). While I love to own this handset, removable battery is one important factor that swayed my choice for Samsung ATIV S. Even the extended 32GB memory is not as important due to the fact that I never needed extra storage memory beyond what my HD7 provided, which is the same capacity as HTC 8X at 16GB. Likewise, even the big screen at 4.8" is not as important as I am well used to the 4.3" for my HTC HD7.

I am reproducing this review for the benefit of those who may want to compare the ATIV S with HTC 8X. If battery charge on long travel is not your main concern, then HTC 8X could be the right choice for you.

Highly Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice phone, Lovely Screen, Windows 8 Phone = awesome, 29 Jan. 2013
Having previously had a HTC 7 Pro, It was a toss up between getting a Nokia Lumia 920 and the HTC 8x.

Eventually on the grounds of price, I went for the 8X.

First of all, It's a nice phone. The screen is good - and it has quite a thin form factor. Beware - it takes a micro sim, so make sure that your current provider can give you one of these before you get the phone.

In terms of the phone itself, it has much of the "standard" HTC things that you'd expect to see, and the phone itself is nice and zippy.

The sound, via Beats Audio, is pretty damn good as well - 16Gb capacity isn't too shabby. I don't think it's expandable, which is the only drawback.

Battery life - definitely miles better than the HTC Sensation I had. It seems to last a couple of days (and maybe a wee bit more) under general non-heavy use.

Finally - Windows phone 8 - nice OS. It's a nice operating system, and I really do like it.

Only one downside - the YouTube support isn't quite seamless, but that's not MS's fault in this instance.

Nice work, HTC!

5.0 out of 5 stars Who bit my apple?, 13 Nov. 2012
Russ. M (Coventry, England) - See all my reviews
IMPORTANT .....Nowhere does it mention that you will need a micro sim card, fortunately they are readily available from phone shops.
As for the phone it's a real step up, super-fast, excellent screen, superb sound and great operating system.

5.0 out of 5 stars great phone, 3 Sept. 2013
Mr. Gary J. Hudson (liverpool uk) - See all my reviews
delighted with the phone very easy to use very responsive.allways been a android user but wanted to change to windows,delighted i did love htc phones.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant device., 3 Sept. 2013
The HTC 8x is a joy to hold and the 'pillow' back feels a lot thinner than it actually is. A lot of design thought has clearly gone into this phone. There are also some great colour options (I went for the less risky approach with black). I have been using an android phone for a year now (HTC Desire C) along with a tablet (Samsung Galaxy Tab 2) and believe that the Windows Phone 8 operating system is fantastic, although there are a lot less apps, every app that i need has been in the store. It would be a good idea to check for apps in the Windows Phone Store ([...] before buying. I dont think that the Windows OS is right forbusiness users as the OS is heavily integrated with social networking and media.

This phone has the many great high end features of a £300+ smartphone for a basic feature phone price. Carphome Warehouse have the same phone for £450.

5.0 out of 5 stars Packaging in German and phone language default was German, 30 Oct. 2013
the phone is great and deserving the rating achieved but a warning that this supplier (save4shop) delivered a phone that was set-up in German and all the documentation was in German. I had to use the HTC site to figure out how to change the language and print documentation in English. It looks as though the supplier knew this as they supplied an English plug separately - it's a shame that this was by Nokia not HTC. I notice the price has gone up £80 in the last few days - perhaps this is the reason but why we should pay more for UK packaging is beyond me.

5.0 out of 5 stars All round great phone, 29 Sept. 2013
Delivery was fast, came with the basics e.g headphones, usb charger. The battery life is very good when the phone is not in use or minimal use, but it drains fairly quickly when watching videos, playing games, but still would probably last most of the day. Constantly gaming. The touchscreen and keyboard are great, i am actually writing my review with this phone. The phone feels really nice in the hand and easy to use. I really have no complaints with this phone and glad i decided to buy it. A***

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›