on 26 February 2013
I have used the AA versions of these for a few years now in my underwater flash & torches, but I needed some AAAs to replace my diminishing stock of alkaline batteries. These AAAs have just the same qualities as their big brothers - they last a longer time than competitors, but most importantly, they keep their charge for an extremely long time. This means when I go on holiday for example, I can charge a whole load of them far in advance and be very confident that they will still last when I come to use them. For this specific item, I like the hard plastic box that they come in because it can store 5 of the AAAs or 4 of the AAs which is very handy for keeping charged batteries apart from empties - I put charged batteries in the box facing "in" (ie the hinge) and empties go in facing "out" (ie the catch to open) - very simple to work out which to use or charge next!

Honestly, it seems a silly thing to get excited about but I absolutely love these batteries and I always extol their virtues to other photographers/divers I meet !
on 15 December 2012
I was a little concerned when ordering these because of the discrepancy between product title and product information. One said 4UTGB the other 4UTGA. Rest assured, these are the new ones. Actual code on pack I received is HR-4UTGB-5BP-CASE
11 comment25 of 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Eneloop are my top choice when it comes to batteries. They offer great performance, reliability and charge retention through the years.

There are various generations of eneloop batteries with Sanyo producing the first 3 generations. In 2013 Sanyo was acquired by Panasonic and the 4th generation was introduced. Other variants were also introduced by Panasonic.

These HR-4UTGB Eneloop batteries are the are the 3rd and last (standard eneloop) generation produced by Sanyo. They are top quality NiMH offering:

○ 750 to 800mAh
○ Astounding 1500 charge cycles
○ Awesome charge retention through the years: 90% after 1 year / 80% after 3 years / 70% after 5 years
○ Virtually leak proof if left in a device

They come in a handy sturdy case which can store 5 AAA batteries or 4 AA batteries.

Tip: In order to achieve maximum longevity, use a quality smart charger designed for NiMH batteries. In contrast to dumb chargers, these will monitor the voltage of each individual battery and avoid under / overcharging.

These batteries will last for many years, and given the price they should definitely be on your short list!
review image review image
on 17 September 2013
I'm sure I can't have been alone in deciding that the price of rechargeables was now at the point where that pack of alkalines in the drawer had their days numbered.
So, off I rushed to buy a packs of NiMH batteries to replace them. In my ignorance I just picked up the cheapest cells I could find with the highest mAh rating I could find - surely the more electricity you can get in your battery the better.
Problem was that I suddenly realized that those batteries had lost most of their charge by the time I took them out of the drawer - something I'd just not even considered.
Eneloops are different - "they retain charge" - and this is their unique selling point. They come charged, you put them in your drawer, and you can just pretend that they're your old trusty box of alkalines (except when they're flat, you can recharge them).
They're maybe not perfect for high-drain items, but in a moment of clarity I suddenly realized that anything that previously I'd considered 'high drain' now came with a rechargeable lithium battery in it.
If you have something that gulps down AAs, then best value mAh cells I found were the "7 Day Shop" ones - but frankly I'd recommend you just pay a bit more, change them a little bit more often, and just give yourself a drawer full of batteries that "work"
on 17 March 2013
The supplier sent the latest third generation Eneloop batteries. Very good indeed, with 1800 charge cycles, they should last years and they also deliver exceptional voltage for a NIMH battery.
on 6 February 2013
I am amazed at how these Eneloop batteries are able to hold onto their charge for months, I've been buying them for a couple of years now, I charge them, put them into the kitchen drawer and take them out as I need them. When I was using Nickel Cadmium (NiCd) and Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) rechargeable batteries, I would get around a month of idle and they would discharge and worse, their terminal voltage would drop way below 1.2V, usually 1.0V, the Eneloop batteries seem to keep at 1.35V for most of their life. Needless to say, owning other types of rechargeable battery has been tedious, requiring that they are always in the charger until needed. All of those old batteries are now in the recycler and good riddance to them!
on 17 September 2013
I bought these to go in a camera remote control - I normally buy the Eneloop AA's. I've got loads of them and they never fail me at all. I monitor them well and charge/discharge them properly and always use them in my camera's and flash's. Seem to all hold slightly more power than they are rated at - so no complaints from me.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 20 April 2013
I now only buy Eneloops when rechargeable batteries are needed. As the product description states, they can be used straight away as they are charged in the factory and retain their charge for much longer than traditional rechargeables. Time between charges will of course depend on the workload, but I have found they last a long time with typical usage.

Two useful bonuses with this pack: a fifth battery included in what would normally be a four-pack, and a storage case.

Overall, highly recommended.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 August 2013
The header says it all really. I only use Eneloop now despite the extra price as they never disappoint in longevity of charge or number of cycles (which I have yet to reach, ever).

I even had a small torch left in an outhouse over winter with these batteries in; even the freezing weather did not alter their working well.

These were quite well priced too, especially with the case.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 October 2012
These without doubt are the best rechargeable batteries I have purchased. Having just purchased a Mac the mouse batteries were lasting just a couple of weeks. We were using our new Ansman 2400 rechargeable which we were told were the best! They just do not compare with these Eneloop rechargeables. The Eneloop last on average 6-8 weeks and are reading 100% charge after the recharging process. So impressed we have ditched all our Ansman batteries and purchased AA+AAA Eneloop. We purchased them from iCell excellent price and delivery also they were very, helpful

See one answered question