on 23 November 2012
3 mediocre short stories for 99p as a vehicle to publicise a new Harry Bosch novel is very clumsy and unnecessary. Any Bosch fan is going to buy the new one anyway and a first timer is likely to be put off if this is supposed to be an example of the standard of Connelly's writing. Save yourself the 99p and just buy the book.
on 8 November 2012
M.C. is my favourite author very dissapointed with this. Only good part was the 1st few chapters of The Black Box cant wait for that.
on 27 December 2012
The stories in the book are good but are too short in my opinion, as half of the book is then taken up with an extract from the new Harry Bosch novel. Three decent lenghted stories would have been much better.
on 9 December 2012
As an avid Michael Connelly fan, having read virtually all of his books to date and being used to his high quality thrillers, I found these three short stories a little disappointing. Whilst having little twists at the end of them, they werent particularly inspiring, and, with half the kindle version being an extract for his latest full length thriller, feel that the stories were probably an advert for this!
on 21 December 2012
I am a big big fan of Michael connelly ,all I can say is shame on you Mr Connelly asking your readers to pay for this rubbish
on 19 September 2013
Three short stories nothing like the Harry Bosch stories. Should not have this name in brackets. I thought I was buying 3 books of Harry Bosch stories.
on 6 February 2014
a real double dissapointment the two short stories were blink and miss them short, and the third is the double dissapointment because it is the first three chapters of the black box, that is a great read on its own but when you have too buy it to finish the book you have read the first three chapters Bummer !
on 21 November 2012
Too short for my liking. Not enough intrigue. Fine for a short read. Perhaps good as a taster for one of his books.
on 13 March 2013
This is the third Michael Connelly short story collection that I have read. As with the Angel of Investigation and Suicide Run the stories themselves are excellent. The writing is of the standard that I have come to expect from Mr Connelly and I really enjoyed the new content of this eBook. This however leads me onto my major issue with Mulholland Drive which is that over fifty percent of this book is a preview of The Black Box the next full Connelly novel. I find it a little insulting that over half of this product is a glorified advertisement for another Connelly product. I would have given this product five stars based on the quality of the original material but am knocking it down two stars due to the issues mentioned before. I would struggle to recommend this to people as the short stories only take up forty nine percent of the eBook.
on 5 October 2012
I'm a big fan of Michael Connelly and as such I guess I should wear a kind of blindfold when it comes to his work, but alas that is not the case, so I just have to say that, in my humble opinion, Mulholland Dive is not as good as his two previous three-story ebook collections, Suicide Run and Angle of Investigation.

I don't know if it's the Harry Bosch component that's missing here, but I do know that these stories seem a bit flawed. Yet again maybe that's only because when it comes to short stories I really set the bar high.

When it comes to the stories themselves the best one is the last, Two-Bagger. A meth cook that goes by the name Eugene Vachon has just got out of jail, and two cops, Stilwell and Harwick, are waiting for him to arrive by bus in Los Angeles. According to the info received by the Gang Intelligence Unit, during his stay in jail Vachon was under the protection of the Road Saints Gang, which means that now that he's out he'll somehow have to return the favor. How? Most probably by killing someone, following Sonny Mitchell's, the gang leader's, orders. Who's the indented target? Nobody knows. And that's exactly why Stilwell and Harwick are on Vachon's tail. The end arrives with a bang, and it's exactly then that all the pieces fall together.

Cahoots, the first story of the three, takes place in the early 1930's. The narrator is an unnamed man who's playing cards with another five men, one of whom is a cheat. McMillan, the bad apple, talks to his co-players about a big heist, which involves stealing the gold and silver Olympic metals, melting them and selling them as bars, thus making themselves rich. The narrator, who tells the story in the present tense, though it has already come to pass, is certain that what McMillan is really trying to do is distract them, so he can take their money while feeding them tales of wealth and glory.

In-between the aforementioned stories, comes Mulholland Dive. Detective Clewiston, a reconstructionist for the LAPD, is heading to Mulholland Drive, where a man in an expensive car has taken a... dive down the hill. The man is dead, and it's up to Clewiston to determine whether what happened was an accident or not. The victim, a celebrity of sorts, was in the middle of divorce proceedings, so if his death is ruled a homicide his almost ex-wife will become the prime suspect. If not, she'll walk away richer than ever. What is the verdict going to be? Maybe the expected. The result? The unexpected.