5.0 out of 5 stars Transformed my Wii U experience
After my purchase of the Wii U and a 30 minute go of ZombiU, I felt I might have misjudged my investment considerably.

Published 19 months ago by Darren

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun, but buggy
Customer Video Review     Length:: 0:20 Mins
This game has everything you want from a kart-style game. If you want to have the Mario Kart experience and something like Donkey Kong Racing, this game might interest you. It provides an excellent many-players experience with guaranteed fun. A lot of levels (not too many tracks, though) and it can get quite difficult very fast. Good multiplayer...
Published 15 months ago by Luis Sanabria

5.0 out of 5 stars Transformed my Wii U experience, 7 Dec 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed: Limited Edition (Nintendo Wii U) (Video Game)

I then unwrapped Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed, put it in the Wii U (Game Update..... 15 minutes later....) and watched a bright dazzling animated video of the Sega universe springing to life in all sorts of racing action. Oh Boy was my initial thought, I had previously read a review that scored Sonic 6/10 and couldn't understand why the negativity until this visual assault played out and I felt that all the quality was on the intro and not on the game.

Firstly let me say that Sumo Digital have done a fantastic job in making an underrated experience into something that really has helped define my Wii U. I love SONIC! There the cats out the bag or maybe the hedgehog... I dunno what has happened but as a 33 year old I should be too old for these games supposedly.

There is a rare quality about Sonic Racing Transformed that reminds me of Mario Kart or F-Zero, it has an amazing sense of fun, challenge and replay value, something that plenty of racing games lack. Lets be honest this isn't any GT5 or Forza experience, this is about fun, bloody hard power me up fun and it delivers it in bucket loads.

Playing the game gives you various options, a world tour mode to play through various tracks with different challenges, cups each being made up of 4 tracks and versus. Okay sounds straight forward and it is. The game can be played with the GamePad, Controller Pro, Wiimote (and various Wiimote accessories if you wish), my preference so far is the Controller Pro, using the GamePad sometimes causes me to be distracted about what is being shown on the screen (a map, unless you've sent the game to the Gamepad (swipe down)). The Controller Pro being lighter feels comfortable for a good long play session.

Anyway so as a few people have said the game supports 5 players, the 5th Player (or primary) always uses the GamePad, but the best thing about the 5 players is you can take all 5 of you online and do a Online 10 player race and the Wii U handles this all pretty well, granted there are moments of slow down but the truth is it's not bad enough to stop the fun and if anything it reminds me of Mario Kart 64 when 4 people use to play that and it appeared to grind to a halt, but the Wii U is managing 10 players, 5 people sitting on floors and chairs in the same room as me, 2 displays thanks to my GamePad and we are laughing, cursing and enjoying what a game is suppose to do, entertain us.

So lets now take my 4 friends away and strip the experience back to just me, billy no mates all of a sudden. Playing by yourself isn't what it's cracked up to be usually and there are occasions that you could be caught out or in trouble for doing so, but we are talking video games here. Anyway Sonic remains addictive and challenging thanks in part to a unique levelling up which happens when you play the game, every used character gets experience points which once you've reached a certain amount unlocks a different characteristic, for example Knuckles (my preferred character) his default driving style is more average speed, but better handling. The first unlocked enhancement, up'd the handling all the way up but reduced my top speed, the second unlock changed that by upper the speed, reducing boost and lowering handling. Basically it gives you the opportunity to tweak a character style to suit you all the more. It's great it keeps making me do the same tracks with the different styles to see if I can up my lap time etc... sad defo, fun most certainly.

The next thing is the graphics, there is so much going on that your eyes will want to bleed, blood really will want to run out of them as you try to take in every bit of detail as you hurtle along and shift your vision from your racer to the background, to the changing environment, to the hazards to the other racers, to the short cuts it goes on and on and on and every lap is different for the majority of tracks and you really need to just see this game shift... however (the big HOWEVER) it does get ahead of itself and sometimes as mentioned about the 5 player session can SLoOOOOooooW down, nothing major but you're not sure if it's because your going so fast that everything around you is slow or just the fact that all that screen candy is actually causing the Wii U to cry a little itself... THIS IS NOT A REASON NOT TO GET THIS GAME THOUGH.

Summary Time

This is NOT Mario Kart and for once I actually think that's a great thing, Sega and Sumo have done a great job at creating a game that is accessible to players young and old, with a great learning curve and challenge if you want to push it and a solid online component that just helps to propel the game up there with the great racing classics to me. For Wii U owners this really is a must and if you want to add me my Nintendo ID is mightyhorace now start those engines please!

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth it., 1 Dec 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I bought this game not expecting much, hoping to find something that could sate my desire for a new Mario Kart. I was pleasantly surprised. The character's will appeal to any longer term SEGA fans and for the most part seem a fun, diverse and relatively balance bunch. The game has elements that feel Mario Kart-esque, as do most kart games. There's the familiar corner drift boosting and an array of bizarre picks ups that can be used to inflict pain upon your fellow racers. It also put me in mind of Diddy Kong racing, back on the N64 with the land, sea and air elements. It's very fast paced and suitably challenging.

I would note aside these comparisons it's certainly a game in it's own right, and a good one. There's a large selection of courses, I think it's twenty five. They are varied and interesting. As it the campaign, which breaks the normal grind of racing with challenges and duel-races to unlock new character's. Overall it's a good, solid single player game.

However where it's great is the multiplayer. I have Nintendoland, Zombie U and this, and I can say on inviting my friend over (this rules out Zombie U) by far the most fun we had was on this and indeed fun I've had so far. It allows you to play the campaign together, meaning you don't have to unlock everyone before hand as the specifically multiplayer option was a little irritating. Additionally I haven't tried but it looks as if you could actually have four people playing the campaign mode. In most you'll be racing competitively, but in some it can makes sense to work together. Moreover only one of you need win.

If I had a negative, it is that I was playing on the Wii U remote, the one with the screen I forget it's official name. Whilst good quality, better than anything on a handheld obvious, the graphics did not quite match up to that of the television. I do not feel this is a fault of the hardware for on both Zombie U and Nintendoland the image is much crisper. However it is still perfect playable and looks fine, just not quite as good as the television. So if you're on the fence and want a multiplayer racer, I'd recommend you get this. If you're more likely to just play it alone, it may not be quite as good. As to the online capabilities, I couldn't tell you as I haven't got around to all that yet. However a good, solid game but nothing revolutionary. 4/5

5.0 out of 5 stars Transforming the arcade racer.. Huge fun., 20 Dec 2012
K. Trebell (Cornwall, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This game is an arcade racer, set in the world Sega games and full of characters and settings from their games. The game has something different to the norm though in that your vehicles transform from land to sea to air modes throughout races, adding a nice twist and a huge amount of fun.

I got the WiiU version as I wanted to expand my collection and also because I wanted one of the games that has off-screen play. I love this feature, I can be sitting at my TV playing the game and rather than having to switch off when the family want the telly I simply swipe down on the gamepad screen and the game transfers to that screen and I can take the game with me. Fantastic feature and a big plus for the Wiiu version.

Overall I've found this a great game. I've been playing mostly the career mode with my son using the pro controller (a very nice controller that was packed into the Zombiu bundle) and we've had such fun. The game is a proper challenge, I'm not too good and without my son I sometimes have to drop down to easy mode to progress. It has a real "one more go" feel to it and I find I am more than happy to keep plugging away to progress. There are many different types of race from straight up races, to elimination, sprints, ring races (flying races) and more giving a lot of variety and you unlock extra tracks and characters as you progress.

Huge fun, fast and exciting and a nice inclusion in the WiiU library. Well worth it if you want some Arcade Racing fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars Give this game a chance, 6 April 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This game was an impulse buy which I certainly don't regret.

In all honesty I wasn't expecting too much from this title. I have never been a Sonic fan and have played the Mario Kart games since childhood. In my experience I have never found a racing game which has been as enjoyable as the Mario Kart series (although Diddy Kong Racing did come close).

But I was definitely wrong. This game feels fresh and it brings new ideas to the racing game genre.

In my opinion this game is worth a look. The nostalgia element is missing for me - but if you are a Sega fan or not, this game is very enjoyable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sonic Speeds along and has the time of his life in this sublime racer, 1 April 2014
Sonic Racing Transformed on Wii U is the definitive version of the game ,it has the ability to have five players local multi-player with four on a split screen on TV or a projector which works a treat and the fifth player on the Game-pad.

Even in two player mode one can use the pad while the other on the TV ,which is great fun.

Whether you payed 15 or even 30 Sonic All Star Racing Transformed is a Great game on Wii U and a must buy for the system.

Even if your waiting for Mario Kart 8 ,which i have played at a event ,it's still worth Buying Sonic Racing as it's a totally different experience.

Your Wii U won't be complete with out it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this game!, 4 Mar 2013
Personally it will never beat Mario Kart because people will say that then Mario Kart for Wii U will be out of this world. It is nice to have another unrealistic racing game that works!

This should not be compared to Mario Kart if you ask me because it has so many things that makes it good still Mario Kart had it's outstanding ways because it is such a classic. It is great to have a game for all consoles ever if this is much more better for Wii U because it has off-TV play and you can use the Wii U GamePad for much more!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb racer!, 2 Jan 2013
Easily on par with the likes of Mario Kart - personally I think I prefer this to the MK series of late, which have become a little stagnant. The constantly changing track layout and the switching between car/plane/boat is good too, adds a little extra challenge to the game! Perhaps a few frame rate issues on occasion, but nothing that detracts from the gameplay!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good game, 12 Dec 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Firstly, great service from Amazon as usual. This game is for my two children aged 10 and 12 and I think they will like it because it is similar to Mario kart, although not quite as good, what I liked about it is you can just use old wii remotes and there is no need to buy the motion plus add on, its also good because player 1 has the gamepad screen and player 2 has the tv screen which is much better than having split screen which can get confusing, also the game can be solely played on the gamepad by swiping down on the screen in single player. Very good game.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 PLAYER SPLIT-SCREEN CO-OP, 5 Dec 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Miles better than the first game, amazing level design and whole lot of fun to play both competitively and cooperatively.

This actually gives Mario Kart a run for it's money.

The only cons are the lack of friend joining for online matches, and the slightly washed out look whilst playing on the Gamepad screen.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Nintendo magazine should hang their heads in shame, when they only gave this great game 62%!, 29 Dec 2012
Dragonlord (Cornwall) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
The first thing I notice in this game is that the tracks are overall better designed then Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing (Wii) overall and the hd graphics are loverly as well. The tracks have been inspired by many classic Sega games over the years such as Afterburner, Shinobi, Golden Axe and many more. The last cup features some of the best tracks from the last Sonic Racing game, which I thought to be a nice touch. The way your car transforms into a plane or a boat as you are racing works very well indeed and makes the racing action even more exciting. Diddy Kong Racing (N64) was the first kart racing game to use the idea of being able to control cars, boats and planes about 15 years ago. I think this game has used this idea better and the handling for each type of vehicle is spot on. Up to five people can play this game on the Wii U in multiplayer, one of you uses the GamePad and the other players use Wii Remotes. Another fantastic feature is that one can play this game with the tv switched off, when using the GamePad. The online play works very smoothly and is super intense as well. I have also been enjoying MiiVerse with this game and my other Wii U games. You get to take photo's of the game you're playing, do drawings and write about your gaming experience. There are plenty of Sega characters to unlock and I was given Alex the Kid on Christmas day from Sega themsleves. I'm hoping to unlock Shinobi (Nintendo 3DS) because I have been loving this game and I also can't wait to see the film Wreck It Ralph [Blu-ray] [2012] [US Import] , who is a playable from the start.
The weapons seem more fair then the newer Mario Kart games, because there is no Blue shell and this game really shifts as well. This another game alongside Nintendo Land, which my 7 year old daughter and partner enjoy playing together as a family. I did hear that this game had a big patch, which could mean the version that the Nintendo magazine reviewed had faults. One hopes they may adjust their score because, it may put people off buying this game. The reviews on Amazon give a more realistic scoring on how good this game really is. Sega have upped their game even more with this sequel and is giving Mario Kart, even more of a run for it's money.