1 Review

4.0 out of 5 stars Great science fiction novel, 6 Jan 2013
This review is from: Into the Vast (Paperback)
"Into the Vast (The Chronotrace Sequence)" by DJ Edwardson is not my usual choice of book but I came across it on a review website and decided to step outside my comfort zone for once. The story is about Adan, an `experiment' - if you so will - in a scientific institute of a fantasy world where humans are being abducted to for mind control in the wider sense (I don't want to be any more specific than that to preserve your own experience and discovery of this world).
I was impressed at how long the author could keep the suspense and mystery of what was happening to Adan in the laboratory for so long, making me very impatient to find out where the story was going. The story follows his aided escape across the Vast to human settlements and then continues with the (occasionally literal, sometimes strategic) battle between the powers behind the institute and its enemies. Issues of trust and deception, bravery and moral principles come into play and despite really not being much of a science fiction fan I found myself compelled reading on. The characters have been set up so carefully and convincing that their personal struggles are beyond common cliques and I ended up really caring for them. The battle scenes were brilliantly done, Edwardson's talent for description mastered this challenge effortlessly and there are enough turns and twists towards the end of the book to save it from predictability.
This was a great effort, not without minor details I would personally have liked to be different, such as the made up science vocabulary, but these things come down to personal taste and would not stop me from recommending this book to any fan of the science fiction and fantasy genre.