5.0 out of 5 stars Black Butterflies
Published on 27 Mar. 2013 by Cylon Hindenburger II

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best one......
I have only read a couple of this series (this is the third one) and I have found this one disappointing so when I was given a really good historical read I had no problems in putting this on one side. I shall go back to it later I'm sure but while it is a pleasant enough read the story is a little improbable and not overly interesting, sadly.
Published 12 months ago by Nightowl

5.0 out of 5 stars Black Butterflies, 27 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Black Butterflies. (The Greek Village Collection Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
I picked up Black Butterflies not too concerned that it was the second in the series; it did not seem to follow on and could be read separately. However so, after about halfway I was hooked on its beautifully descriptive narrative of the Greek islands and the colourful characters that reside there. So descriptive it was that, (especially during an English spring that refuses to spring into action) you could almost imagine basking in the sunshine and taste the Tzatziki on my tongue!
Although the plot is quite simple, a quest to find her daughters love, it twists and turns in the all the right places and driven by the detailed description of the characters makes it a very interesting and entertaining read, now I have to backtrack and read the first in the series too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Greece bought alive, 10 Jan. 2013
P. Wire (Hythe, Kent) - See all my reviews
I enjoyed the Illegal Gardener so much I quickly ordered the second book in the series - I am so glad I did. I could not put it down, the descriptions of the island, village and characters was brilliant. The twist regarding Eleni's love life was a surprise as it was to her mother Marina, however I felt that the end was a bit rushed and it would have been nice to have learnt how and why Marina's son was taken in by his adopted parents.

A story about Meli would be interesting - what happened to him after his meeting with Marina!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 2 Jan. 2013
Having read and enjoyed the first in the Greek Village series I had high hopes for the second book, but I didn't expect to be completely blown away by it.
This is a wonderful and utterly believable story which captures the feel of Greece perfectly. The character development of Marina from a big fat interferring Greek Mama who drives her poor daughters away, into a wonderful lady who you just want to hug is brilliant. I cant wait to read the next book in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Gentle Delight, 1 Sept. 2014
'Black Butterflies' is a gentle delight. The novel is infused with the sights, sounds and smells of the Greek islands, and Ms. Alexi transported me to the locations effortlessly. The detail in the writing immerses the reader in the Mediterranean culture: the atmosphere is artfully constructed.

One of the aspects of the book I most liked was that the author took her time with the narrative, mimicking the daily rhythms of Greek island life itself.

The tale is a straightforward one - the widowed Marina sets out to prevent her daughter Eleni from making a bad match - but the book is full of charm, acute observation and genuine emotion.

I already have the next two books in the 'Greek Village' collection on my Kindle.

4.0 out of 5 stars Escapism at its best, 9 Mar. 2013
I found this book very enjoyable and the brilliant descriptive nature of the scenery and characters involved led me through an enchanting story set in an idyllic Greek village. The main character in this book is Marina who runs the village shop and her journey to resolve the mystery of her daughter's boyfriend whom her daughter refuses to reveal to her. This is a tale of love, joy and friendship and the unravelling of a jigsaw which brings the title 'black butteflies' to a heartrending conclusion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sara's done it again!, 16 Mar. 2015
Well, Sara has done it again. This is a superb little book, and a great easy flowing read. Without giving too much away (I hate reviews to be spoilers) this story has a double twist, the first one jumps out and takes you by surprise, but unless that first twist happened the second and final one couldn't. Make what you will out of that dear reader! The plot is one of elimination, much along similar lines as Julian Fellowes' "Past Imperfect." And as regards Bobby, he reminds me of Smallweed the moneylender from Charles Dickens' Bleak House... "Shake me up Judy!".. Great stuff. Sara creates good characterisation.
I also find it interesting that Sara writes in the present tense, when most novels are in the past tense. With some of the relationships that occur I wonder what the Greek Orthodox Church would make of it all?
As I have said before, this isn't normally my genre, but she has kept me gripped and I'll be reading book three in the series next. What a five star girl!

5.0 out of 5 stars getting to know characters, 8 Sept. 2013
Having read the first in this series I enjoyed this one just as much. Very easy read and took me back to our holiday.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great series, 7 Sept. 2013
Absolutely loved this book. Part of the Greek village series. Read it while on holiday in Crete. Fabulous.Really true to life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another brilliant book by Aara Alexi, 5 Sept. 2013
This book is just as good as The Gypsy's Dream, which I read first. It doesn't really matter that i have read the books out of sequence, as they are all such memorab le stories. I thought the author dealt so well with the anxiety of a mother for her daughter, as she herself had never really dealt with the issue of her firstborn being adopted soon after birth. Many topical issues are addressed in a very sensitive manner in this book The author is, indeed, so very perceptive of human nature.
it is certainly a book I shall re-read.

5.0 out of 5 stars great story, 2 Sept. 2013
Thoroughly enjoyed, would recommend & was even better for the fact it was a free kindle book, loved it, will look out for more from Sara Alexi, have been too many Greek islands & could imagine myself there in amongst the story